Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State Next Coach?

Originally posted by busboy View Post
    The original claim was posted on 3/16 by someone who said he was told by more than one Miami fan at a game in Oxford that if JM got fired, Bergeron would be the next coach. It wasn't a claim made directly in this thread by a Miami fan.

I said and i am an ohio state fan. Thats just what i was told when i was down there.

Comment

This thread continues to take a tortuous path...most recently discussion (or disappointment?) that OSU didn't get Bergeron. I'm actually surprised that Bowling Green went back to the well of selecting an assistant coach who served with a stellar program. Replace "Bergeron" and "Blasi" with "Paluch" and "York", and you'd think the Falcon braintrust would be under "once burned, twice shy" in taking that route again. That's not a knock on Bergeron, simply an observation of seeing that movie before (and it not ending nice).

But back to life here in Columbus. The longer the wait, the more I'm encouraged that maybe the administration is actually seriously reviewing some quality candidates and thinking about their next steps. Perhaps.

One fantasy pick I haven't seen floated since early on in this thread is UVM head coach Kevin Sneddon. Thoughts?

Interesting, too, that Pooley's name is greeted consistently with little enthusiasm. I spent some time at the Frozen Four this past weekend talking about the Buckeye coaching situation with some Hockey East folks, and despite PC's woes since Pooley's departure, no one seems to miss him. Telling indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterling Cooper View Post
        You're not wrong at all. I think Bergeron would have made a great candidate and possibly the best choice. I just took the claim that he'd been "contacted" before Markell was even let go to be know-nothing b.s.

I'm rather curious as to why this came down so quickly. I assume (pray) that we're at least considered a better job than BG. I know Markell was making considerably more than (pre extension) Blasi, so I highly doubt that BG could be competitive with Ohio State in compensation terms. You'd think Bergeron, if he felt he was a serious candidate, would at least go through the Ohio State vetting process before jumping on the BG job.

Edit: BG board is saying 6 years with a 150K guarantee, which puts him 116K behind Markell's last salary.

Of course that claim (not, to my knowledge, made by a Miami person) was bs and ridiculous, I completely agree. I too am curious why OSU was not willing to at least talk to Berge (and vice versa). Good move by BG to lock him up, IMO. Maybe be reads the board and found out OSU does not hire Miami assistants.

Comment

Originally posted by redeagle View Post
          I too am curious why OSU was not willing to at least talk to Berge (and vice versa). Good move by BG to lock him up, IMO. Maybe be reads the board and found out OSU does not hire Miami assistants.
          Do we know if he applied or was contacted by Ohio State? As someone said earlier maybe he didn't want to wait to find out if he would get the OSU job and miss out on the one being offered. It is a good hire for BG and he would have been a good hire for OSU too.

Comment

Originally posted by Brewmaster View Post
            This thread continues to take a tortuous path...most recently discussion (or disappointment?) that OSU didn't get Bergeron. I'm actually surprised that Bowling Green went back to the well of selecting an assistant coach who served with a stellar program. Replace "Bergeron" and "Blasi" with "Paluch" and "York", and you'd think the Falcon braintrust would be under "once burned, twice shy" in taking that route again. That's not a knock on Bergeron, simply an observation of seeing that movie before (and it not ending nice).

But back to life here in Columbus. The longer the wait, the more I'm encouraged that maybe the administration is actually seriously reviewing some quality candidates and thinking about their next steps. Perhaps.

One fantasy pick I haven't seen floated since early on in this thread is UVM head coach Kevin Sneddon. Thoughts?

Interesting, too, that Pooley's name is greeted consistently with little enthusiasm. I spent some time at the Frozen Four this past weekend talking about the Buckeye coaching situation with some Hockey East folks, and despite PC's woes since Pooley's departure, no one seems to miss him. Telling indeed.
            Good points Brew about the Paluch era, but I think the commitment is back at BG and this hire supports that. I am completely biased here, but I have absolutely no doubts that Chris Bergeron will do a great job lifting BG. Feel the same way about Blashill. Now I'll get out of here and go back to worrying about who the new Miami assistant will be.

PS I think Jon is responsible for the lack of enthusiasm about Pooley.

Comment

The Ohio State University doesn't hire assistants at Miami of Ohio any more than we hire their Assistant Professors.
              I think Bergeron would have made a great candidate and possibly the best choice.
              Had to be done.

Negative rep away.

Comment

Nice.
                Engelwood jack, that's the way.

Comment

You're not wrong at all. I think Bergeron would have made a great candidate and possibly the best choice. I just took the claim that he'd been "contacted" before Markell was even let go to be know-nothing b.s.

I'm rather curious as to why this came down so quickly. I assume (pray) that we're at least considered a better job than BG. I know Markell was making considerably more than (pre extension) Blasi, so I highly doubt that BG could be competitive with Ohio State in compensation terms. You'd think Bergeron, if he felt he was a serious candidate, would at least go through the Ohio State vetting process before jumping on the BG job.

Edit: BG board is saying 6 years with a 150K guarantee, which puts him 116K behind Markell's last salary.
                  How do you know that Bergeron hadn't been vetted? That he hadn't talked to or interviewed for the OSU job? The bottom line is the Bowling Green job was offered now. If he tells BG, "Could you give me a couple weeks to see if OSU offers me the job," he runs a pretty big risk of ending up with neither job. He would have to be 100% certain that the OSU job would be his in order to take that kind of risk. You also make an assumption that he would get a match of Markell's salary coming in. That's a bit of a stretch as well. Are you sure that OSU would pay the same for an assistant with no NCAA D-I head coaching experience the same amount they were paying a coach after 12 years?
                  "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

If i remember the timeline from one of the articles correctly, OSU was "accepting applications" up until the Frozen Four and then was going to reach out to recruit if they saw it necessary. They were then going to narrow to top candidates this week and begin interviewing with end of April being the target hire date.

Great game plan by WMU and BG to get offers on the table to force decisions before OSU decides to join the party. Either OSU doesn't know what they are doing, or they are really interested in getting someone they would have to pursue and is in no danger of getting snapped up by these other schools. I hope it's the latter reason but I fear it's the former.
                    OSU - we got nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                      The bottom line is the Bowling Green job was offered now. If he tells BG, "Could you give me a couple weeks to see if OSU offers me the job," he runs a pretty big risk of ending up with neither job. He would have to be 100% certain that the OSU job would be his in order to take that kind of risk.
                      A Berg in hand...
                      OSU - we got nuts.

Comment

If i remember the timeline from one of the articles correctly, OSU was "accepting applications" up until the Frozen Four and then was going to reach out to recruit if they saw it necessary. They were then going to narrow to top candidates this week and begin interviewing with end of April being the target hire date.

Great game plan by WMU and BG to get offers on the table to force decisions before OSU decides to join the party. Either OSU doesn't know what they are doing, or they are really interested in getting someone they would have to pursue and is in no danger of getting snapped up by these other schools. I hope it's the latter reason but I fear it's the former.
                        You are correct-------but.

Lots of rumors at the Frozen four that the position was all but filled. If there's an announcement this week then I guess they were right. If an announcement is still a week or two away then those rumors were wrong.

Comment

IIRC (and I am certain to be corrected if I am mistaken) the search criteria specified that D1 head coaching experience was a key trait they are looking for. While not completely excluding the likes of Brekke and Bergeron, it certainly would have dropped them down the pecking order. My hope is that they take the best candidate regardless of where they are currently coaching and regardless of whether they have D1 head coaching experience. An equally important trait is the ability to recruit talent. While the overall nature of a school and program is a critical factor there, the capabilities and skill of the primary recruiter(s) cannot be overlooked. That role generally falls to assistant coaches... Perhaps a great head coach with great assistants will come as a package. One can dream...

[edited: That is not meant as a cut on Brent or Bittner; not sure how much of a chance they actually got to coach or recruit...]
                          Last edited by Arpod; 04-13-2010, 03:58 PM.
                          Engelwood jack, that's the way.

Comment

A Berg in hand...
                            Well played.

Comment

Originally posted by Arpod View Post
                              That is not meant as a cut on Brent or Bittner; not sure how much of a chance they actually got to coach or recruit...]
                              Steve is from Penticton BC and is a key player in recruiting that area. OSU has a lot of BC kids.

Dalpe played for Penticton and there's another kid coming in next year from there, as well as one from Vernon. Hunter Bishop played in that league, as did Devon Krogh. Rod Pelley and Mathieu Beaudoin are two others. Brent was involved with all of them.

Comment

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
                                Had to be done.

Negative rep away.
                                OK, The Dude can not (positive) rep for that since I've apparently repped you in the recent past. My point, however, was always that Ohio State does not settle for assistants to become their head coach. I would love to have Bergeron's name thrown into the grinder, but recoiled at the notion that we would have rushed out to hire him without at least casting for bigger fish.

He would have made a great candidate, but MIGHT have made the great choice.

Comment

Working...
                                X