Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State Next Coach?

Originally posted by Draighlicht View Post
    So now that the search is getting serious how about the OSU fans in this thread listing their choice for the next coach. And while we're at it how about listing the one you would least like to see get the job.

I'll go with Nate Leaman from Union as my choice and Paul Pooley as the one I do not want to see..
    I have a couple of choices I would be happy with as Gene's choice. I would love to see them make a big splash with a guy like Murray, Granato, Blasi or Olczyk but not sure any are realistic. Current Head coaches that should be willing to make the move and in no particular order, Nate Leaman, Wayne Wilson, Dave Smith, Tom Serratore or Danton Cole. Assistants again INPO, Mark Osiecki, Mike Hastings, Derek Lalonde, Casey Jones, and Jim Montgomery. From US Juniors I would only really consider John Cooper at this point. I am sure there are other quality candidates who might be asst's in the NHL or coaching in the AHL or ECHL.

No matter who they pick, IMHO they are going to have a pretty talented team to work with and hopefully we hear soon.

From the names that have been bantered about on here, I most want to see Edzo, least want to see is a toss up Brekke or Bitner. My long shot but I would love to see what he can do with a recruiting budget and scholarships is Wilson.

Comment

Originally posted by HckyDoc View Post
      From US Juniors I would only really consider John Cooper at this point.
      But you can't have him.

We're keeping him here for a few more Andersons and Clarks, thank you.
      St. Norbert College Green Knights
      NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
      NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
      NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
      ---
      SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

Least like to see: Pooley - besides being a great player for OSU I'm not sure what the program would be looking for from a guy who has not proven anything in 20 years in the business. Also, I have some revulsion to most of the top assistants in the CCHA moving over. Call it dumb pride or ignorance, I'd feel like the program might lose identity making that move.

Most like to see: I'd like to see somebody like Olczyk stepping into college hockey. He would bring enormous excitement and credibility. For continuity, I'd love to see someone like this keep Steve Brent as an assistant. He brings a ton of Buckeye tradition and knows the recruiting trail inside and out (not to mention nobody works harder than Steve). I think he could make a great head coach some day but has been buried in his current role for years. Between the big name notoriety of Olczyk and the years of NCAA and CCHA knowledge from Brent - this program could really launch.
        OSU - we got nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by busboy View Post
          Most like to see: I'd like to see somebody like Olczyk stepping into college hockey. He would bring enormous excitement and credibility.
          Thats 2 votes for Edzo

Comment

How about Jason Lammers? Familiar with OSU players and CCHA. Assistant at Alaska, Princeton, OSU and Colorado College. Head coach at Geneseo where he won the league and made NCAAs.

Comment

Originally posted by Twisted Wrister View Post
              How about Jason Lammers? Familiar with OSU players and CCHA. Assistant at Alaska, Princeton, OSU and Colorado College. Head coach at Geneseo where he won the league and made NCAAs.
              I think Jason will make a good head coach someday, but all that bouncing around leaves me wanting in the confidence department.
              OSU - we got nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by HckyDoc View Post
                Thats 2 votes for Edzo
                and Olczyk's experience in college hockey is...
                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

And yet another name is off the table..... Kind of disappointed that Markell didn't get the job at BG. I think it would have been a good place for him to end his coaching career. Anybody hear anything lately?

Comment

Nuts. Would not have minded if Bergeron got offered the OSU position.
                    'Must win? World War Two was a must win.' - Marv Levy

Comment

Originally posted by Bleachered View Post
                      Nuts. Would not have minded if Bergeron got offered the OSU position.

Gee, didn't one of the Miami of Ohio crowd come over here and so pompously pronounce Bergeron to Ohio State a done deal before Markell was even fired. I don't know what amuses me more about those clowns: how often they're wrong or the pompous certainty with which they trumpet their misinformation.

Comment

It won't be Jim Montgomery.

http://www.rpiathletics.com/news/201...412105435.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by Sterling Cooper View Post
                          Gee, didn't one of the Miami of Ohio crowd come over here and so pompously pronounce Bergeron to Ohio State a done deal before Markell was even fired. I don't know what amuses me more about those clowns: how often they're wrong or the pompous certainty with which they trumpet their misinformation.
                          I don't check the OSU threads all the time, but I don't recall anyone saying something was a "done deal." (As always, I am willing to be corrected.) Some (including some OSU people) have said Bergeron would be a good choice. OSU may get the right coach for them, so it could be moot, but my guess is in five years you will probably see why Chris Bergeron would have been a great choice for OSU. At some point he was bound to move on, but he will be very difficult to replace at Miami. Blasi and Bergeron were a great team (and teammates) and complemented each other very well. Bergeron has a high degree of difficulty at BG, but he will succeed.

Comment

Originally posted by redeagle View Post
                            I don't check the OSU threads all the time, but I don't recall anyone saying something was a "done deal." (As always, I am willing to be corrected.) Some (including some OSU people) have said Bergeron would be a good choice. OSU may get the right coach for them, so it could be moot, but my guess is in five years you will probably see why Chris Bergeron would have been a great choice for OSU. At some point he was bound to move on, but he will be very difficult to replace at Miami. Blasi and Bergeron were a great team (and teammates) and complemented each other very well. Bergeron has a high degree of difficulty at BG, but he will succeed.
                            You're not wrong at all. I think Bergeron would have made a great candidate and possibly the best choice. I just took the claim that he'd been "contacted" before Markell was even let go to be know-nothing b.s.

I'm rather curious as to why this came down so quickly. I assume (pray) that we're at least considered a better job than BG. I know Markell was making considerably more than (pre extension) Blasi, so I highly doubt that BG could be competitive with Ohio State in compensation terms. You'd think Bergeron, if he felt he was a serious candidate, would at least go through the Ohio State vetting process before jumping on the BG job.

Edit: BG board is saying 6 years with a 150K guarantee, which puts him 116K behind Markell's last salary.
                            Last edited by Sterling Cooper; 04-12-2010, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                              Ah, OK. I guess I will be here, then. "Mean Gene," that's funny. When I think of "Mean Gene," and I'll date myself on this one, I think of "Mean Gene" Okerlund, the wrestling announcer ... too funny. Yes, I used to watch that stuff, a long time ago, obviously. As for the coaching hire, I'm going to trust "Mean Gene" and hope for the best on this one. Maybe he'll hit one out of the park like he did with the wrestling coach. Time will tell.
                              Mean Gene Okerlund had a son named Todd Okerlund, who played at Minnesota and for the 1988 US Olympic Team and played four games in the NHL with the New York Islanders.

Comment

Originally posted by redeagle View Post
                                The original claim was posted on 3/16 by someone who said he was told by more than one Miami fan at a game in Oxford that if JM got fired, Bergeron would be the next coach. It wasn't a claim made directly in this thread by a Miami fan.
                                OSU - we got nuts.

Comment

Working...
                                X