Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State Next Coach?

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
    Blasi isn't going to OSU. He just got a new contract with a big raise last week.
    How much? Not that I think we'll still make a play for him. There's no way that Blasi rips up a new contract with his alma mater to abandon it for an in-conference/in-state rival. What I'm curious about is what number did Miami's AD scrape together to make a preemptive strike against any overtures from Ohio State and what that might say about what OSU is prepared to throw on the table?
    Last edited by Sterling Cooper; 04-07-2010, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Just a reminder.....

Applications are due by April 11 for this position. So if any of you folks here are applying you had best get you app. in the mail today. It needs to be there by Saturday to be waiting on the envelope opening party on Monday morning.

Comment

NHL Central Scouting has two of our recruits on its final rankings for the draft.
        Alex Lippincott -Fargo #162, and Chris Crane-Green Bay #181.
        Are either of these guys expected next year?

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
          I didn't see the raise.
          What else would he sign a new contract that is no longer then the current contract for?
          Bronco Hockey Blog

Comment

NHL Central Scouting has two of our recruits on its final rankings for the draft.
            Alex Lippincott -Fargo #162, and Chris Crane-Green Bay #181.
            Are either of these guys expected next year?

Chris Crane is not going to challenge Taylor Hall or Tyler Seguin for the No. 1 pick in this year's NHL Draft.

Still, the 18-year-old Crane's rise from 196 to 181 Wednesday in the final NHL Draft rankings for North American Skaters is good news for the Windsor Spitfires.

An eight-round pick by Windsor in 2007, the six-foot-one, 193-pound Crane is seriously considering playing for the Spitfires next season, but it's all tied into the NHL Draft.

"I'm thinking if I end up draft, Windsor is a possible option for my future," said Crane, who is from West Chester, Ohio.

"I'm not giving my commitment now because I don't what will happen in the draft."

Crane has a scholarship offer to Ohio State University, but his thinking has changed somewhat with the school not renewing the contract of head coach John Markell.

"I'm not sure how that will work out with the new head coach coming in," Crane said.

The Spitfires spoke to Crane last summer.

He opted to play in Green Bay of the United States Hockey League, but was impressed with Windsor.

"I like Windsor," Crane said. "I've been up there to visit and it's an awesome place."

The Spitfires also have a couple of old teammates for Crane, who played midget with Cam Fowler and Kenny Ryan at Detroit Honeybaked.

"He's a tough kid and always stands up for his teammates," Fowler said. "He'd be a great addition."

In 52 games with Green Bay, Crane had 15 goals and 29 points along with 107 penalty minutes.

"I was really hoping he would join us this year," Spitfires general manager Warren Rychel said.

"He's plays with passion and would be a fan favourite."

If his name is called at the NHL Draft, that could become a reality.

"I believe the OHL is a quicker way to get to the NHL, but I'm not sure yet," Crane said.

"I do believe (head coach Bob) Boughner would do things that would be awesome for me."

Comment

Crane 2010
              Lippincott 2011

Comment

Originally posted by fangers View Post
                Crane Never
                Lippincott 2011
                FIFY
                Engelwood jack, that's the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterling Cooper View Post
                  How much? Not that I think we'll still make a play for him. There's no way that Blasi rips up a new contract with his alma mater to abandon it for an in-conference/in-state rival. What I'm curious about is what number did Miami's AD scrape together to make a preemptive strike against any overtures from Ohio State and what that might say about what OSU is prepared to throw on the table?
                  Odds are now 7-1 against Blasi coming to OSU
                  OSU - we got nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by busboy View Post
                    Odds are now 7-1 against Blasi coming to OSU
                    Not to get us off the original topic here, but I did not see that one coming at all! Still, I'd rather get spanked in the Frozen Four than be like our program and not even get to the NCAA Tournament. I'll be on a business trip Monday-Wednesday (actually flying out Sunday) so I probably won't be here when OSU introduces the new coach. If I am lucky, I'll try to get online and see if I can at least read about it.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                      Not to get us off the original topic here, but I did not see that one coming at all! Still, I'd rather get spanked in the Frozen Four than be like our program and not even get to the NCAA Tournament. I'll be on a business trip Monday-Wednesday (actually flying out Sunday) so I probably won't be here when OSU introduces the new coach. If I am lucky, I'll try to get online and see if I can at least read about it.
                      You will probably be back home and bored by the time OSU announces a coach. They don't even start interviewing until next week at the earliest.

Goal (as stated by mean Gene) is to announce the coach around May 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Draighlicht View Post
                        You will probably be back home and bored by the time OSU announces a coach. They don't even start interviewing until next week at the earliest.

Goal (as stated by mean Gene) is to announce the coach around May 1.
                        Ah, OK. I guess I will be here, then. "Mean Gene," that's funny. When I think of "Mean Gene," and I'll date myself on this one, I think of "Mean Gene" Okerlund, the wrestling announcer ... too funny. Yes, I used to watch that stuff, a long time ago, obviously. As for the coaching hire, I'm going to trust "Mean Gene" and hope for the best on this one. Maybe he'll hit one out of the park like he did with the wrestling coach. Time will tell.

Comment

What is somewhat odd is how few names we see floating around for either OSU or Bowling Green.
                          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

I would like to see a current list of what Coaches applied. This way we can follow the progress as they narrow the choices down to the final pick.
                            " PUT ME IN COACH. "

Comment

Originally posted by THE OHIO STATE View Post
                              I would like to see a current list of what Coaches applied. This way we can follow the progress as they narrow the choices down to the final pick.
                              The fact that Gene has played it close to the vest is a good thing. I would love to know every detail but maybe it's better if we don't...can't wait for the official announcement.

Comment

Originally posted by THE OHIO STATE View Post
                                That's a list none of us will ever see.

The best thing I've seen in the way of a statement was the one that said that after the application period is over (Sunday) OSU reserves the right to 'seek out' additional candidates.

Two scenarios here. Tom Ryan (wrestling coach ) was a head coach at another school and moved to OSU. The new golf coach (Donnie Darr) was the top assistant at another program before replacing 243 year old Jim Brown at OSU. Give Darr a couple of years and OSU golf will be back where it belongs.

So now that the search is getting serious how about the OSU fans in this thread listing their choice for the next coach. And while we're at it how about listing the one you would least like to see get the job. Those of you who are not OSU fans are left out of this part of the discussion, but we have some lovely parting gifts for you.

I'll go with Nate Leaman from Union as my choice and Paul Pooley as the one I do not want to see..

Comment

Working...
                                X