Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ohio State Next Coach?

Originally posted by Sterling Cooper View Post
    The Ohio State University doesn't hire assistants at Miami of Ohio any more than we hire their Assistant Professors. We hire their head coaches in the same way we take any tenured faculty that we deem worthy. If we're serious about rebuilding the program, then we need to make the appropriate commitment. I say we go after Rico. If he wants to hold some grandstanding press conference to turn us down, fine. It still sends the message to the rest of the college coaching fraternity that we're serious about this hire.
    Thanks for the laugh.

On what basis would they possibly be in the know as to what Ohio State's AD is thinking? Sounds like typical Miami of Ohio arrogance.
    You are clearly familiar with academic institutions in Ohio. Don't be a tool.

than some blowhard
    One to talk?

Comment

Im not saying they should or are going to hire that assistant from miami but thats not the first i have heard of it. Personally i think a proven head coach is the way to go. I just want someone who is going to get the best out of each and every guy in the program.

I would like to thank Coach Markell for everything he did for this program in the 15 years he was the head coach. Good Luck in the future coaching jobs you might inquire on.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyFanClub View Post

Please - if Gene Smith has any class, he won't be trying that shenanigan. At best, he should dot his i's and cross his t's by making a courtesy call to Mr. Blasi .... "Hi coach, would you be interested in talking to us? ... No? OK, take care. Click" ... and that would be the end of it.
        We're not going to beg him to come. If we do contact him, the conversation might go something like this, "Hi Coach, would you be interested in doubling your salary, having your program never have to worry about the cash constraints of being stuck in a broke-*** athletic department, have multiple games each year televised nationally in HD on the BTN and be in on the ground floor of a potential BTHC? No? OK, hope you haven't confused a great little five year run with actually being a hockey power with the tradition and resources to survive any potential down periods like...oh, I don't know...Bowling Green. Take Care."
        Last edited by Sterling Cooper; 03-16-2010, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
          not saying he should get the job only said would he be on the list. I think if Lucia is let go by the gophers they should go after him.
          I wonder how much of it was Pooley and how much was the environment. Esp since Army hasn't been much better.

Then again, Bill Belichik was terrible in Cleveland.. but the PC people who watched them on the ice closely seem to think that it their on-ice strategies were pretty abysmal.
          Boston College Eagle Hockey » "We want our players to leave here with a diploma in one hand and a ring in the other." - Jerry York

Try FantasyCollegeHockey.com

sigpic

"I said, it's all in our hands / got to learn to respect what we don't understand /we are fortunate ones, fortunate ones, I swear."

Comment

We're not going to beg him to come. If we do contact him, the conversation might go something like this, "Hi Coach, would you be interested in doubling your salary, having your program never have to worry about the cash constraints of being stuck in a broke-*** athletic department, have multiple games each year televised nationally in HD on the BTN and be in on the ground floor of a potential BTHC? No? OK, hope you haven't confused a great little five year run with actually being a hockey power with the tradition and resources to survive any potential down periods. Take Care."
            PUH-LEEZE. This is nothing but folly. Rico goes to Ohio State only when I become the next coach at Minnesota.

"multiple games each year televised nationally in HD" ??? Ha. This is supposed to be persuasive? Miami doesn't have multiple games on TV already? Ooooh - HD. Yay.

"Ground floor of Big Ten Hockey Conference"? Only someone who thinks the Big Ten is that important would really care. People in hockey don't give a rat's rear about BTHC. Get over yourself.

Comment

We're not going to beg him to come. If we do contact him, the conversation might go something like this, "Hi Coach, would you be interested in doubling your salary, having your program never have to worry about the cash constraints of being stuck in a broke-*** athletic department, have multiple games each year televised nationally in HD on the BTN and be in on the ground floor of a potential BTHC? No? OK, hope you haven't confused a great little five year run with actually being a hockey power with the tradition and resources to survive any potential down periods. Take Care."
              "Would you like to play in a 18,000 seat arena containing 4,000 parents taking their young kids to a hockey game for 2 peroids then leaving to put them to bed, oh and we have a dedicated student section representing about 1% of our student body"

NCAA Tournament Appearences
              tOSU (First Season 1964): 6
              Miami (First Season 1979): 7

Sorry if I missed where the tradition and power of Ohio State hockey comes into play...

Comment

The "broke-***" athletic department that built a state of the art facility while you play playoff games in an 800-seat arena? Gotcha. Oh, what's that? Games broadcast in HD? That's a huge selling point...if you're LG or Vizio, not a head coach. Hockey tradition and resources? I must have missed all those tOSU CCHA Championships since 1972 (all one of them) and all the National Championship banners hanging at your lovely bouncyball arena.

Comment

I want whatever Sterling Cooper had for breakfast. I could use some good drugs.

You've got a better chance of resurrecting Herb Brooks to become the next coach - than enticing Blasi to leave Miami. Shouldn't even be a topic of conversation, it's so ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyFanClub View Post
                    I want whatever Sterling Cooper had for breakfast. I could use some good drugs.
                    BUCKEYE NUTS!

The poison must be getting to him...

He called me a bad word in his negative rep too =(

Comment

I never said Ohio State had great hockey tradition...far from it. I said that Rico shouldn't confuse the little five year run he's had as giving him the kind of tradition and stability that a Minnesota or Michigan have. Bowling Green had the same kind of run and even won a NC, yet last year their program came within a whisker of being eliminated. Yes, Miami built their little 3,000 seat arena. Good for them. It's a great place to watch hockey...even with all the stolen Big Ten cheers and songs. That doesn't negate the fact that your athletic department is in the red, and football and basketball are nowhere close to providing the kind of revenue streams to make it anywhere close to stable much less flush with funds.

The reality is that Ohio State's athletic department does have the resources to give its hockey program a level of stability that Miami of Ohio will never have regardless of what transitory success the program might currently be enjoying.

Odds are we won't hire Blasi. He's a Miami of Ohio alum, and he is on a hell of a run down there. The notion, however, that we have NOTHING to offer him is absurd.

Comment

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
                        BUCKEYE NUTS!

The poison must be getting to him...

He called me a bad word in his negative rep too =(
                        Funny, I didn't give you any bad rep. Somebody else out there must not like you. Oh well, you've proven that you're a true Miami of Ohio guy in that you don't let reality get in the way of a good story.

Comment

Funny, I didn't give you any bad rep. Somebody else out there must not like you. Oh well, you've proven that you're a true Miami of Ohio guy in that you don't let reality get in the way of a good story.
                          I wouldn't blame any OSU poster for giving me negative rep for that post, although the intent was more to highlight the ridiculousness of some of your arguments then to take a shot at OSU's athletic programs which are superior to Miami in nearly every way (not even debatable).

You are clearly taking this whole thing far more seriously then I am so i will just say best of luck with your coaching search and have a nice day.

Comment

Doug Woog or Craig Dahl
                            DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

If OSU ever really got serious about funding hockey, they could hire almost any coach with the money they have and they money they could make from a full 17,500 seat building 20 games per year.

Fortunately for the rest of us, there are other athletic priorities there.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                                If OSU ever really got serious about funding hockey, they could hire almost any coach with the money they have and they money they could make from a full 17,500 seat building 20 games per year.

Fortunately for the rest of us, there are other athletic priorities there.
                                What makes you think OSU could sell out 17,500 even if they were good. No college team does that. Maybe North Dakota could, occasionally. Maybe Wisconsin. But who else? So expecting that is nuts.

How do we know they haven't funded hockey? Maybe they are - and Markell simply didn't do a good job. But I don't expect any coach, even if it's Jack Parker, George Gwozdecky, Rico Blasi, or Scotty Bowman to automatically turn OSU into a dominant national power that sells out 17,500. I don't care how much money they pump in and pay.

So for any of those big name college coaches to go there, they would have to be convinced that doing so would make them better off than where they are. And how much better off do Blasi or Gwoz need to be than where they are now? So OSU pays them $2 million/year? OK, maybe that would entice someone - but it won't make those guys' situations any better hockey wise. So why bother?

Comment

Working...
                                X