Ohio State Next Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State Next Coach?

To give Gene Smith some credit--despite his rather disturbing PD interview--one can look to his hiring of the wrestling coach as shedding some very hopeful light and precedent on the situation. He let go a coach who had raised the program (and expectations) to the next level but had subsequently stagnated and slid back into mediocrity. The coach he hired has put together what's quickly becoming a perennial top 5 NCAA power.

Comment

These things do not necessarily mean anything, but I thought the timing was interesting from both the university's and Coach Blasi perspective.

http://www.muredhawks.com/sports/m-h...040210aab.html

Comment

Originally posted by redeagle View Post
        These things do not necessarily mean anything, but I thought the timing was interesting from both the university's and Coach Blasi perspective.

Timing is everything in life. Funny how both Dean Blais and Rico Blasi both got nice extensions from their current employers the moment OSU started looking for a coach. If I am the AD at Miami, Id've locked up Rico, too!

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
          Timing is everything in life. Funny how both Dean Blais and Rico Blasi both got nice extensions from their current employers the moment OSU started looking for a coach. If I am the AD at Miami, Id've locked up Rico, too!
          If nothing else Markell is good for the "economy" of some current coaches.

Comment

Originally posted by redeagle View Post

Having gone to an actual university rather than an overgrown preppy boarding school, I may have missed something in that press release. That "something" is, how much money? We were already paying Markell over 100K more than Blasi was making under his old contract (266K to 140K and insert joke about wasted resources there), and we have a giant pot of gold (called The Big Ten Network) to tap into.

Don't worry. We're not your real fear. Your real fear is in Minneapolis, and they will come calling with a 600K salary very, very soon.

You know; I'm sitting on my couch watching the end of Mallrats. Suitor #1 is Minnesota. Suitor #2 is Ohio State. Miami of Ohio is the lame dude in the bad navy blazer on the end who believes he's the only one who deserves to be there, yet is bound for failure and irrelevance. Miami of Ohio is Suitor #3.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterling Cooper View Post
              Having gone to an actual university rather than an overgrown preppy boarding school
              I missed you.

Comment

Just to keep the record straight, Sterling should probably check out what was actually paid Coach Blasi by Miami in 2009.

Comment

We were already paying Markell over 100K more than Blasi was making under his old contract (266K to 140K and insert joke about wasted resources there), and we have a giant pot of gold (called The Big Ten Network) to tap into.
                  Got anything to back up those salary figures? I've seen several different numbers posted for both coaches.
                  "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                    Got anything to back up those salary figures? I've seen several different numbers posted for both coaches.
                    I can't seem to find anything more recent then 2008, I would assume it has gone up since, but he is right about the $140k. Another Miami poster might know first hand how much he is making now but I have no clue.

http://www.collegiatetimes.com/datab...ity?name=blasi

Comment

Last year Blasi was just under 220k, with Berg and Brekke around 90k.

http://www.journal-news.com/news/ham...72233938779580

Comment

Any idea if Steve Rohlik or Mel Pearson have been contacted by Ohio State.

Comment

Originally posted by mcfarljd View Post
                          Last year Blasi was just under 220k, with Berg and Brekke around 90k.

http://www.journal-news.com/news/ham...72233938779580
                          I guess Mr Cooper's figures are less than Sterling.
                          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                            I guess Mr Cooper's figures are less than Sterling.
                            Actually, they were correct for 2008, as shown by your own poster's link. I, however, was unaware of his recent raise. Congrats. That tells, me that Miami of Ohio has already shot their load hitting up alumni to fund a contract renegotiation, one that still came up 46K short of what we were paying Markell. Gonna be mighty hard to go back to that well when a real school shows up with real money. The only way that Miami of Ohio holds onto Blasi is if alumni loyalty trumps any financial considerations. That's conceivable, but let's see what Minnesota's resources--brand new packed football stadium and 22 million (and growing) per year in Big Ten Network money--are able to throw on the table.

It's going to really suck having to go up against Blasi at Minnesota in the BTHC.

Comment

Actually, they were correct for 2008, as shown by your own poster's link. I, however, was unaware of his recent raise. Congrats. That tells, me that Miami of Ohio has already shot their load hitting up alumni to fund a contract renegotiation, one that still came up 46K short of what we were paying Markell. Gonna be mighty hard to go back to that well when a real school shows up with real money. The only way that Miami of Ohio holds onto Blasi is if alumni loyalty trumps any financial considerations. That's conceivable, but let's see what Minnesota's resources--brand new packed football stadium and 22 million (and growing) per year in Big Ten Network money--are able to throw on the table.

It's going to really suck having to go up against Blasi at Minnesota in the BTHC.
                              Have trouble reading that article I see...

If you were able to read it all, it states in there that the reason for the extension was because of significant alumni support. He got over an 80k raise last year for making it to the frozen four, gurantee you he gets another significant raise going into next year and his salary would exceed what Markell was making.

Really funny to keep seeing you proven wrong, but Im sure you will try your best to come up with something in return as a rebutle and will again be proven wrong. There is a common theme here, everyone notices it but you.
                              Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

He just got another raise with the contract extension he signed this week. Being that he signed a new extension THIS WEEK, I think it is highly unlikely that he'll leave the Miami Valley for the banks of the Olentangy.

Comment

Working...
                                X