Quinnipiac Bobcats 2010 Offseason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Quinnipiac Bobcats 2010 Offseason

Congrats to Mook - He truly was an unsung hero thru out his career - He sacrificed his body many nights to block shots and nobody killed a penalty better

Congrats to Lampe and JMB - good luck

I heard the same about Zurvi - I would not be surprised if hes gone!

Comment

Hey Wonger and Eagle.........no, absolutely no good news for my Saints. Your task against us just got easier.

Last week we lose Bollig after his soph season to Wongers Blackhawks and now our most prized defense recruit signs with Washington before he even gets to SLU!!!!!!!! This is a horrible week for Saints hockey fans.

ARLINGTON, Va. – The Washington Capitals have signed free agent defenseman Dustin Stevenson to a three-year entry-level contract beginning next season, vice president and general manager George McPhee announced today.

Stevenson, 20, is a 6’5”, 220-pound native of Gull Lake, Saskatchewan, who plays for the La Ronge Ice Wolves of the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League (SJHL). The La Ronge captain was named the SJHL Player of the Year after posting 47 points (11 goals, 36 assists) and 134 penalty minutes in 56 games. He finished third among league defensemen in scoring and tied for eighth in the league in penalty minutes.

Stevenson and the Ice Wolves are currently playing in the SJHL’s Credit Union Cup Finals. He leads all SJHL defensemen with 17 points (seven goals, 10 assists) in 17 playoff games. The winner of the Credit Union Cup will face the winner of the Manitoba Junior Hockey League for the Anavet Cup.

Stevenson has spent three seasons with La Ronge, totaling 99 points (28 goals, 71 assists) and 323 penalty minutes in 163 regular-season games.
      SLU

Comment

Not to rehash any negatives (trust me I'm not trying to stir the pot), but just wanted to point out some interesting facts looking ahead to the Frozen Four and specifically RIT making it that far.

Five years ago in the first game of the 05/06 season, Quinnipiac played its first game of the season (and first game as a member of the ECAC) against RIT in what was their first game in Division 1 hockey. QU handily won as they should have, but a year later QU and RIT met again, with RIT making a statement and coming into the NIP to take a win from the Bobcats. I distinctly remember thinking at the time, "Who is this team that just out hustled and outplayed us?"

Now with RIT making their first frozen four appearance after only five years in Division 1 and coming from Atlantic Hockey, I wanted to open up to see if anyone had any thoughts on RIT proving how quickly a team can go from the bottom to the top. I bring this up not to start a discussion on Rand, but to simply tackle the notion of what it would take for QU to really make some strides in the next few years. In the same time period that RIT has gone from basically nothing to the Frozen Four, QU has gone from Atlantic Hockey to making noise in the ECAC, but not really doing anything on the national level.

Thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
          Hey Wonger and Eagle.........no, absolutely no good news for my Saints. Your task against us just got easier.
          Nothing in the ECAC is ever easy Mike!

Try to stay positive buddy. Remember, you weren't supposed to be any good this year and look where you ended up.
          Quinnipiac Bobcats
          2023 National Champions
          ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
          ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
          East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
          Northeast Regional:
          West Regional: 2015, 2021
          Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
          Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MinniQUFan View Post
            Not to rehash any negatives
            You've been pretty well behaved this year. I guess not having Bud around left you without anything of substance?

Thoughts.
            Not knowing much about RIT all I can say is Atlantic Hockey vs. ECAC. I think it's an apples-to-oranges comparison and one that can't really be quantitifed. I'm not diminishing anything RIT has accomplished thus far... they did what they needed to do to get where they are this week.

I truly feel we're only a couple of hot recruits away from making the next step. Certainly, our Achilles heels for the past couple of years has been goaltending. We're really not missing much and I'd even say we have it all now if we could just string together some consistency.

Everyone has to keep in mind that this was supposed to be a rebuilding year. Apparently the team didn't get that memo at the start of the season and by the time December rolled around us fans were dreaming much larger. Sure it all came crashing down but if you look, all the potential is still there.
            Quinnipiac Bobcats
            2023 National Champions
            ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
            Northeast Regional:

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
              You've been pretty well behaved this year. I guess not having Bud around left you without anything of substance?

Not knowing much about RIT all I can say is Atlantic Hockey vs. ECAC. I think it's an apples-to-oranges comparison and one that can't really be quantitifed. I'm not diminishing anything RIT has accomplished thus far... they did what they needed to do to get where they are this week.

I truly feel we're only a couple of hot recruits away from making the next step. Certainly, our Achilles heels for the past couple of years has been goaltending. We're really not missing much and I'd even say we have it all now if we could just string together some consistency.

Everyone has to keep in mind that this was supposed to be a rebuilding year. Apparently the team didn't get that memo at the start of the season and by the time December rolled around us fans were dreaming much larger. Sure it all came crashing down but if you look, all the potential is still there.
              Apples to oranges, indeed. They won their league (which is not a great league), and won 2 games in the tournament. It's very much apples to oranges.

Comment

Originally posted by ZYanksRule View Post
                Apples to oranges, indeed. They won their league (which is not a great league), and won 2 games in the tournament. It's very much apples to oranges.
                I'm gonna disagree. RIT has basically owned Atlantic Hockey since they began play there. They've played pretty good OC schedules and have won games against teams from across the country. As I pointed out in my original post on the matter, when they beat QU, I witnessed more hustle and heart on that RIT team than I've ever seen out of a Bobcat team. After that game, I took notice and continued to follow RIT by at least checking their box scores. To dismiss them as just an Atlantic Hockey school that got lucky in two games is a sore underestimation. If QU had played RIT this season, I'd bet RIT would beat them 8 out of 10 times.

All I'm saying is, say QU made the Frozen Four... you'd be singing a different tune if fans from the WCHA were saying QU played in the less talented ECAC (and guess what, as soon as the CHA folds, the ECAC is going to be arguably the second worst division 1 conference) and thus we can't be bothered to even consider that they actually earned their place here.

RIT will get smoked today, but RIT has more recognition now across the hockey world than QU ever has. I listened to a 20 minute RIT discussion on KFAN (main Minnesota sports talk ((aka the land of hockey))) and that doesn't include the half a dozen other times RIT has been brought up in the last week. I've heard QU brought up on KFAN twice in the last 2 years and both times, the school was bashed.

Long story short, I'd trade that number 4 ranking QU had for a week in a second for a Frozen Four appearance.

Comment

Long story short, I'd trade that number 4 ranking QU had for a week in a second for a Frozen Four appearance.
                  Me too!

I suspect that Z's reply was meant to be sarcastic. If we had won the ECAC we would have had a chance to do what RIT too.

I just don't know enough about RIT to say anything one way or the other. They certainly have made some noise and everyone knows who they are now. But I think any team in D1 has that potential these days. Like I said, one or two hot recruits and anything can happen for us. Patience grasshopper.
                  Quinnipiac Bobcats
                  2023 National Champions
                  Northeast Regional:

Comment

RIT will get smoked today
                    Nice call Carnac! Can you give me some lotto numbers for the weekend?

What a shame that a season has to end with a game like that.
                    Quinnipiac Bobcats
                    2023 National Champions
                    Northeast Regional:

Comment

Yeah it is too bad... but great for them. It is a game which we can only hope to see QU play in some day.

I'll get back to you on some numbers.

Comment

Hey Eagle, The QU Athletic Department must be rolling in dough. Tomorrow the Quinn P Yaks are playing lacrosse against the Air Forces and the next afternoon the Bob Katzes will head up I-25 to get their asses kicked by the Denver.

Couldn't QU save some money by keeping the lax team at home and having the boys lose twice to powerhouses like Central Connecticut and Waterbury Vocational?

Enjoy the Wisconsin-BC game tomorrow and I hope you have a great weekend.
                        sigpic Eight. ....with a design on nine.

Comment

Originally posted by A Shot and a Goal View Post
                          Enjoy the Wisconsin-BC game tomorrow and I hope you have a great weekend.
                          Thanks, Shot! Remember to take your meds before the game so that you can fully enjoy it!
                          Quinnipiac Bobcats
                          2023 National Champions
                          Northeast Regional:

Comment

Congrats to Jean-Marc Beaudoin for being named a Lowe's Senior CLASS All-American.
                            Quinnipiac Bobcats
                            2023 National Champions
                            Northeast Regional:

Comment

Chip Malafronte stepped in for Dave Soloman in his "I Was Thinking" section of the Sunday sports page in the Register and confirmed reports of Zurvy getting aggressive looks from the NHL. I couldn't find a link so I will type it up for yall, you're welcome.

"Since the Quinnipiac men's hockey season ended last month, several NHL suitors have tried to lure Scott Zurevinski away from the Bobcats. Sources confirmed the most lucrative offer came from the Vancouver Canucks. a two-year contract for the maximum allowable money under the salary cap.

But Zurevinski, who has two years of college eligibility remaining, declined and will return to school this fall. A big left wing (6 feet 3, 210 pounds) with a deft scoring touch, Zurevinski had 16 goals and 14 assists this season. He'll be called upon to lead a team that loses four of the top five scorers to graduation."

Needless to say, even if Zurvy comes back for his junior year there is a strong possibility that he does not return for his senior year...and good for him. Zurvy has a boat load of potential that I do not believe he's entirely lived up to...yet. His size is clearly a key component to Vancouver offering him the max allowed. Next year will be very telling for Scott and the Bobcats. If he plays like NHL scouts are predicting he will and should then that will only mean good things for him and the Q. If you had asked me a year ago who our first Bobcat possibly making it into the big time would be, I don't think I'd have predicted Scott. Hopefully if he leaves early he'll make us proud.
                              Last edited by allnightwong; 04-11-2010, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by allnightwong View Post
                                I couldn't find a link so I will type it up for yall, you're welcome.
                                Thanks wonger! I found the article link... the part about Zurvy is buried near the end.
                                Quinnipiac Bobcats
                                2023 National Champions
                                Northeast Regional:

Comment

Working...
                                X