Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Quinnipiac Bobcats 2010 Offseason

Originally posted by Dr. Robert Katz View Post
    Joe P is most frustrating, btw, he got named BU's captain for 10-11 season.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...g=content;col1

"Pereira also credits Yale assistant coach C.J. Marottolo with honing his skills. At 5 feet 10, 175 pounds, he originally committed to UConn last August, but when the call came from BU came, he quickly recanted. He said that if Quinnipiac had called him a couple of years ago, he'd be a Bobcat now."
    Yeah, but let's look at where QU was when someone like Pereira was looking at a school and even now really. You could've thrown the kitchen sink at the kid and talked all about staying home and being a local hero and he STILL would've went to BU. Same with Macgregor. I don't think staying local is going to sway these players at all when the fact of the matter is our beloved Bobcats don't hold a candle to playing at Agganis and in the Hockey East. Now, the younger Pereira who is heading to Umass, I believe, might have been a little more attainable. It'll happen but I think something like a league title needs to take place first.

Comment

Originally posted by allnightwong View Post
      Yeah, but let's look at where QU was when someone like Pereira was looking at a school and even now really. You could've thrown the kitchen sink at the kid and talked all about staying home and being a local hero and he STILL would've went to BU. Same with Macgregor. I don't think staying local is going to sway these players at all when the fact of the matter is our beloved Bobcats don't hold a candle to playing at Agganis and in the Hockey East. Now, the younger Pereira who is heading to Umass, I believe, might have been a little more attainable. It'll happen but I think something like a league title needs to take place first.
      And lets be honest, playing in Boston when you're from Connecticut is still playing local.

Comment

With Rentschler Field planning to host a whole slew of outdoor hockey games this winter, QU has expressed interest in trying to play one of the games...
        http://www.courant.com/sports/hockey...,5624649.story

Comment

Originally posted by MinniQUFan View Post
          QU has expressed interest in trying to play one of the games...
          As cool as that would be, I have mixed emotions about it because it's right in the heart of the league run before the post-season.
          Quinnipiac Bobcats
          2023 National Champions
          ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
          ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
          East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
          Northeast Regional:
          West Regional: 2015, 2021
          Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
          Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Where do we stand on players leaving school? I have heard some reports but nothing with any substance. Anyone have any insight?

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
              As cool as that would be, I have mixed emotions about it because it's right in the heart of the league run before the post-season.
              I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one. After a number of years where QU seemed to be playing in "landmark" games on a yearly basis... whether it was the Civic Center game, first ECAC games against teams like Yale, the opening of the Bank, or playing in Albany, there hasn't been much to cause excitement beyond who QU is playing on the ice.

But an outdoor game in Hartford would be just the type of marquee event that QU could use in a variety of ways whether its from the exposure to getting fan (students) excited again. Now that the class of 2010 has graduated, there are very few students around who were part of these bigtime event games that happened in 05, 06, and 07.

Besides with the annual late season funk QU seems to always find itself in, maybe a game like this would be just what the doctor ordered as a way to get QU to put on a show at a time of the year when their play on the ice traditionally causes the fire Rand argument.

Comment

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one.
                Now there's a surprise!

I actually agree with most of what you're saying.

My point was that at that point in the season the games are really too important to be glamorous. If this hockey fest were earlier in the season, like around the holidays, I'd be all for it regardless of the opponent. I'm sure that part of the schedule is already locked in with league play so it would likely have to be a league game. Since my optimism says we'll be battling for the league title, I don't want any distractions!
                Quinnipiac Bobcats
                2023 National Champions
                ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                Northeast Regional:

Comment

Originally posted by allnightwong View Post
                  I have heard some reports but nothing with any substance.
                  I haven't heard a thing!

I'd be happy just to find out what the schedule is going to be.
                  Quinnipiac Bobcats
                  2023 National Champions
                  Northeast Regional:

Comment

My point was that at that point in the season the games are really too important to be glamorous. If this hockey fest were earlier in the season, like around the holidays, I'd be all for it regardless of the opponent. I'm sure that part of the schedule is already locked in with league play so it would likely have to be a league game. Since my optimism says we'll be battling for the league title, I don't want any distractions!
                    Fair enough. As you can tell I'm an eternal pessimist.

Comment

As you can tell I'm an eternal pessimist.
                      No way!!! I would have never guessed!
                      Quinnipiac Bobcats
                      2023 National Champions
                      Northeast Regional:

Comment

Reid Cashman is headed to Europe to play in Austria. Best of luck, Reid!
                        Quinnipiac Bobcats
                        2023 National Champions
                        Northeast Regional:

Comment

Reid Cashman is headed to Europe to play in Austria. Best of luck, Reid!
                          Hope everyone is enjoying their summer and off season.

RE: Cashman.....don't know about now but going to Europe used to mean you were one step away from retirement. I'm not sure much has changed in that department although many guys can and do go play in Europe for quite a few years. There are worse places to play and live but it just goes to show you how hard it is to make the NHL when an ECAC premier player bounces around from league to league.
                          Our Hobey Baker Finalist Bagnall is hanging around in Manchester but it doesn't sound/look like he will get a sniff of the NHL and I know from those who have talked to him he has a very limited role with the team. Like.... "you play defense, you stay in this area of the ice, you don't shoot the puck (much), just stay at home and play defense."

I for one thought Cashman was SO talented but for whatever reason things just didn't jell. A few years back (10 now maybe) we had Mike Gellard who could do everything. Won the ECAC scoring title and was named best defensive forward in the same year. What a package huh!!! Bruins signed him....he played in Providence, got sick, bounced around and I'm not even sure where he is now but I think it might be over in Europe somewhere. Sure is hard to predict and figure out who will make it.
                          SLU

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
                            Hope everyone is enjoying their summer and off season.
                            Tryin' to, Mike! A little less than 4 months to go!

RE: Cashman.....don't know about now but going to Europe used to mean you were one step away from retirement. I'm not sure much has changed in that department although many guys can and do go play in Europe for quite a few years. There are worse places to play and live but it just goes to show you how hard it is to make the NHL when an ECAC premier player bounces around from league to league.
                            That's what I was thinking. He bounced back and forth several times but never really stuck anywhere for very long. It's a shame because we all thought he was one of the few Bobcats that had a legitimate chance. My guess is that like most of our guys, he just didn't have NHL size.
                            Quinnipiac Bobcats
                            2023 National Champions
                            Northeast Regional:

Comment

Tryin' to, Mike! A little less than 4 months to go!

That's what I was thinking. He bounced back and forth several times but never really stuck anywhere for very long. It's a shame because we all thought he was one of the few Bobcats that had a legitimate chance. My guess is that like most of our guys, he just didn't have NHL size.
                              The thing we have to hope for is Reid to go out there and become one of the best players on the team. Maybe that gets him a more serious look. Not sure what the scouts saw (or didn't see) in him, but it was obviously something.

Comment

I know a lot of you only look at wins and losses, but placing 19 on the ECAC All-Academic List (#2 in the league and most in team history) is quite an accomplishment.

Congrats to all the guys who made the list!
                                Quinnipiac Bobcats
                                2023 National Champions
                                Northeast Regional:

Comment

Working...
                                X