PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota State Mankato Offseason Thread. Do we need one? Oops, here we go.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

redheadzeb
03-15-2010, 05:42 PM
Not much activity here in USCHOland concerning the Purple Mavericks this past year, but I know there are still some of us out there.

What can we say about 2009-2010? We pretty much finished where we thought. While the team did play better in its last few contests of the year, they still aren't going to be in St. Paul for the Final Five.

I couldn't follow the games against SCSU close this past weekend, but was getting updates. I cannot lie: I was pretty excited Sunday night thinking there was a chance.

So it goes. Our crew will still be at the Final Five; love that WCHA hockey. If there is any interest in a Maverick meet-up of sorts, please let me know.

startthebus
03-15-2010, 07:17 PM
On a positive note, Cook looks like he has a strong future.

MavsFan
03-15-2010, 08:50 PM
Where will Pitlick go in the draft? Will he be here three years? I don't see four.

redheadzeb
03-15-2010, 09:59 PM
I hope so :)

Where will Pitlick go in the draft? Will he be here three years? I don't see four.
I would say late 1st round. In my entirely unscientific estimation, there is a < 1% chance he stays 4 years and 50/50 he makes it to 3 [depending on how year #2 goes].

johnnyredshoes
03-15-2010, 11:29 PM

yeah, it definately looks like you guys got the answer in goal for the next couple years. hopefully the mavs build off this years finish and get stronger next year. it would be nice to see all the minnesota teams finish towards the top of the wcha.

crossjcek
03-16-2010, 10:35 AM
just checking in for the off season post. I think Pitlick will be here 2 years, three depending on who drafts him (hopefully no one desperate to mold their own 19 yr old forward or we may be in trouble).
I'm curious to see who steps up to run this team with the leadership graduating and excited to see the new class come in. Hopefully they can jump in the tempo early and get some chemistry or I think we may have a harsh start to the year.

MavsFan
03-16-2010, 10:47 AM
Hopefully they can jump in the tempo early and get some chemistry or I think we may have a harsh start to the year.That's the problem every year, year after year. Terrible starts have them buried, then they start to play fairly well when it's way too late to even consider home ice. Jutting always goes on about how much they've "improved" over the course of the year. You know what he's trying to say there; he's trying to take credit for coaching them up. Well, how about having them ready from the opening bell for a change?

Bale
03-16-2010, 04:58 PM
That's always rubbed me the wrong way too. Why do they need to improve so much during the course of the year? If they finish strong and don't lose anyone (we essentially only lost Bruess this last year), why doesn't it carry over? why the need to start from scratch every year?

MaizeRage
03-16-2010, 05:51 PM
In each of the last two years, they've won one more game in the first half of the year than they have in the last half of the year. I'd say the effort was pretty consistent throughout the year this year.

purgolder
03-16-2010, 05:59 PM
There is already talent on the team. Talent that hardly ever saw the ice. A lot of "healthy scratches" that could have benefitted the team. There is already leadership on the team. It would be nice to see quality kids/players supported and encouraged by quality coaches. The Mavs continue to have the potential to be a top 5 team, they don't need a ton of new talent to be successful next year.

crossjcek
03-18-2010, 08:16 AM
Irwin and Moullierat go to Idaho, ECHL per Shane's blog

http://mankatofreepresshockey.blogspot.com/

crossjcek
03-20-2010, 11:44 PM
Pitlick to whl? anyone have something solid, only rumors right now?

redheadzeb
03-20-2010, 11:59 PM
Pitlick to whl? anyone have something solid, only rumors right now?

Really?!? :confused: I hope not, but it wouldn't surprise me. ****, if true.

Bale
03-22-2010, 12:20 PM
Really?!? :confused: I hope not, but it wouldn't surprise me. ****, if true.

I think I would get physically sick if that happened. And then I curl up in a little ball and cry.

Bison101
03-22-2010, 03:16 PM
Minnesota's budget runs on two year cycles, right? Has there been any progress on the new arena? Any chance this gets built on campus? I assume you are a shoe in next session as SCSU, UMD, UMC and BSU got their diggs last go around. Oh yeah, when are you guys going to make a leap to the Summit and DI?

MavsFan
03-22-2010, 04:38 PM
Minnesota's budget runs on two year cycles, right? Has there been any progress on the new arena? Any chance this gets built on campus? I assume you are a shoe in next session as SCSU, UMD, UMC and BSU got their diggs last go around.Expansion of the civic center got taken out of the bonding bill due to the budget crunch, so nothing in the works. I think most people prefer to keep it off campus, because then adult beverages can be sold.

Oh yeah, when are you guys going to make a leap to the Summit and DI?I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding the question or if you're just being a smartass. MSU has been D-I in hockey for over a decade. If you're talking about all-sports D-I, has been considered and rejected, and I doubt that it will come up again any time soon, when they're laying off faculty and staff, plus cutting entire academic programs.

Bale
03-22-2010, 08:17 PM
Minnesota's budget runs on two year cycles, right? Has there been any progress on the new arena? Any chance this gets built on campus? I assume you are a shoe in next session as SCSU, UMD, UMC and BSU got their diggs last go around. Oh yeah, when are you guys going to make a leap to the Summit and DI?

Nothing will get built on campus unless it's due to private donations. Unfortunately, our biggest donors are not huge supporters of the hockey program. As I understand it, a new on-campus hockey arena is somewhere in the range of project #40 in the master plan. I could be wrong, but I think that's the rumor that I heard.

As for DI, it's not going to happen for a while. As MavFan said, it's been considered and turned down due to the economics. Now with budgets tightening, that's proven to be a very good choice. Maybe in another 10-15 years, but not in the forseeable future.

Bison101
03-23-2010, 12:49 PM
Expansion of the civic center got taken out of the bonding bill due to the budget crunch, so nothing in the works. I think most people prefer to keep it off campus, because then adult beverages can be sold.

I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding the question or if you're just being a smartass. MSU has been D-I in hockey for over a decade. If you're talking about all-sports D-I, has been considered and rejected, and I doubt that it will come up again any time soon, when they're laying off faculty and staff, plus cutting entire academic programs.

I think you took it the wrong way. Take a step back and think about it for a second. It is so logical for Minnesota State to take its athletic department to DI and soon. With the new rule that institutions must have a conference invite before they move up, now is the time to act. The Summit has space. The Summit is slowly but surely moving its geogrpahic center North. NDSU, SDSU, and USD are already in and UND is virtually a lock. I would love to see Minnesota State added to that list. We are building something special here and I wish you all would come along for the ride. The conference basketball tournament is in sioux falls and and has been a smashing success. It will gwet even better once USD is eligible and UND joins. Throw Minnesota State into the mix and we can double the out of state fan particpation easy with those three area schools. The truth is, I just don't want you to miss the boat.

About the new Hockey arena. What is the word about getting it included in the next funding cycle?

MaizeRage
03-24-2010, 03:41 PM
This article (http://www.mnsu.edu/news/read/?id=1269265353&paper=frontpage) does a pretty good job discussing the decision to stay in Division II, and you can also gather some of the reasons why it's tough for MSU to compete in the WCHA.

redheadzeb
03-25-2010, 10:35 AM
This article (http://www.mnsu.edu/news/read/?id=1269265353&paper=frontpage) does a pretty good job discussing the decision to stay in Division II, and you can also gather some of the reasons why it's tough for MSU to compete in the WCHA.

As much as it would be "cool" to participate at the DI level in all sports, "cool" is about all it would be worth for a while. From a fiscal perspective of the entire University, I must agree with the reasoning to stay in Division II.

Regarding "tough to compete at the D1 level," however, I was initially offended reading that statement as just another excuse. Admittedly, that could be because I had the feeling the author of the article didn't know a hockey puck from a curling rock--which is just fine for the purposes of this story.

Unless by "tough to compete" you mean not being able to pay a competent coach. Then, yes, I agree with that statement as well.