Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The 2010 CCHA Championships 3/19-20: FSU, Miami, Michigan, and NMU

Originally posted by redhawkman10 View Post
    I do listen, But I don't agree with you. You actually just made my point. They lost Palushaj and didn't replace him, that is a talent/depth issue. They also didn't replace the guys the lost with guys who did the things need like you stated, that is a talent issue. You made my point, it just seems like you don't want to come to terms that the talent this year isn't what it was last year. Maybe Palushaj just made those guys better and without him they aren't as good. I don't think any different about Michigan they are a good team, just not as good as last years. Don't know why its so hard to admit...

regardless, it is great conversation and atleast you are getting mad/angry or bitter and can have a nice debate.
    We'll just have to agree to disagree. I proved that they were nominal offensively compared to last season, sans Palushaj. The intangibles were the greatest difference, along with poor goaltending and defensive breakdowns.

Losing Palushaj early (a junior to be) was a blow. You can't replace a talent like him in a couple months. Same with Czarnik, although his impact was less.
    Yes, Palushaj made his teammates better, where the other was a distraction.
    Just the same, Michigan has overcome early departures for over 15 seasons and never missed a beat until this season. I could stretch to last year and also point out that Michigan lost Max Pachioretty early, after his freshman year, too. He would have had an impact this season.

I don't equate leadership, experience and maturity with talent. They have just as many upperclassmen this season that should have taken over. Depth is a different story. They are not as strong offensively, but that is a matter of age and development, plus their leading goalscorer from last season tanked. I showed you that it was a net sum wash in production. Last year's team was one player better in pure talent and had more experienced depth. Not that much a change that they should drop from 2nd to 7th place. Eleven NHL draft choices, coaches choice for top of the league... that doesn't tell me they are not talented, at least on paper, across at least three lines.

Just the same, amongst Michigan fans, we are missing a pure goalscorer we've had in the past- Hensick, Comrie, Cammalleri, Cogliano, Tambellini Porter, Kolarik... etc. Caporusso was suppose to supply that, but hasn't up until the last ten games.

The goaltending wasn't changed, yet it was worse.
    The core group of juniors are performed nominally better than they were a year ago. Next year is put up or shut up time.
    The underclassmen are about where they said they'd be, especially Chris Brown who was highly touted.
    The experienced defense all returned and were inconsistent for most of the season and added little offense.

How many times did you see Michigan this season? I saw them for every home game live and some others on tv. Can say that for the last 15 years.
    Just the same, how many Miami teams have you seen like this season or last?
    Very few, IMO. They are that special.

Seems to me that it was more execution and effort than talent and depth that led to their conference spot. That is not to take anything away from UNO, Alaska, NMU, FSU and MSU- all talented teams. I think any team in the league could randomly beat another in positions 2-8. It happened last weekend, as a matter of fact. There is good reason some of those teams will qualify for the NCAA tourney this season.

But I will give you this much- the "type" of player Michigan has recruited has changed. They are still lightning quick, but are not as big, not as gifted as in the recent past. Michigan still doesn't have a big strong scoring defenseman, either. Most of their offensive rushing d-men are smallish. Their stay at home guys are not offensively gifted.

Remember, you asked why they finished 7th. I'm saying this team may not be vintage Michigan of the past, but they have enough talent and depth to at least finish top four in the league and make the NCAA's. They failed at the first goal and have some work to do for the other. It shouldn't have come to this, but in the long term it may be better for the returning players next season.
    Last edited by streaker; 03-17-2010, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
      We'll just have to agree to disagree. I proved that they were nominal offensively compared to last season, sans Palushaj. The intangibles were the greatest difference, along with poor goaltending and defensive breakdowns.

Losing Palushaj early (a junior to be) was a blow. You can't replace a talent like him in a couple months. Same with Czarnik, although his impact was less.
      Yes, Palushaj made his teammates better, where the other was a distraction.
      Just the same, Michigan has overcome early departures for over 15 seasons and never missed a beat until this season. I could stretch to last year and also point out that Michigan lost Max Pachioretty early, after his freshman year, too. He would have had an impact this season.

I don't equate leadership, experience and maturity with talent. They have just as many upperclassmen this season that should have taken over. Depth is a different story. They are not as strong offensively, but that is a matter of age and development, plus their leading goalscorer from last season tanked. I showed you that it was a net sum wash in production. Last year's team was one player better in pure talent and had more experienced depth. Not that much a change that they should drop from 2nd to 7th place. Eleven NHL draft choices, coaches choice for top of the league... that doesn't tell me they are not talented, at least on paper, across at least three lines.

Just the same, amongst Michigan fans, we are missing a pure goalscorer we've had in the past- Hensick, Comrie, Cammalleri, Cogliano, Tambellini Porter, Kolarik... etc. Caporusso was suppose to supply that, but hasn't up until the last ten games.

The goaltending wasn't changed, yet it was worse.
      The core group of juniors are performed nominally better than they were a year ago. Next year is put up or shut up time.
      The underclassmen are about where they said they'd be, especially Chris Brown who was highly touted.
      The experienced defense all returned and were inconsistent for most of the season and added little offense.

How many times did you see Michigan this season? I saw them for every home game live and some others on tv. Can say that for the last 15 years.
      Just the same, how many Miami teams have you seen like this season or last?
      Very few, IMO. They are that special.

Seems to me that it was more execution and effort than talent and depth that led to their conference spot. That is not to take anything away from UNO, Alaska, NMU, FSU and MSU- all talented teams. I think any team in the league could randomly beat another in positions 2-8. It happened last weekend, as a matter of fact. There is good reason some of those teams will qualify for the NCAA tourney this season.

But I will give you this much- the "type" of player Michigan has recruited has changed. They are still lightning quick, but are not as big, not as gifted as in the recent past. Michigan still doesn't have a big strong scoring defenseman, either. Most of their offensive rushing d-men are smallish. Their stay at home guys are not offensively gifted.

Remember, you asked why they finished 7th. I'm saying this team may not be vintage Michigan of the past, but they have enough talent and depth to at least finish top four in the league and make the NCAA's. They failed at the first goal and have some work to do for the other. It shouldn't have come to this, but in the long term it may be better for the returning players next season.
      Ok if you read this carefully you are making the same arguement I am. Maybe Hogan isn't as good and his numbers were inflated because of the play in front of him last year. And maybe Palushaj was a dynamic player and made those better around him. And you admitted they don't have the depth which is the main problem I see with this team. They aren't as deep as past Michigan teams. They still do have talented players, Im not saying they don't but the talent on the third and fourth lines aren't as good as say last year or years past. From reading your post you have agreed to this, so it seems we are making the same arguement.
      Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Originally posted by Go Redskins View Post
        Goofus and his Polka-Cello

I'll show up early to help him cheer the Wildcats
        GOOFUS!! That guy is awesome!
        Always a Wildcat...
        Originally posted by Kepler
        If you quote the derp you are spreading the derp. Please help keep the board derp-free.

Comment

Originally posted by nmupiccdiva View Post
          ******* width="480" height="385">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/X7CdbfZh-NY&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X7CdbfZh-NY&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385">
          Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
          1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
          1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
          2006-2007: 15-24-2
          2007-2008: 20-20-4
          2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

Originally posted by NMU8405 View Post
            ******* width="480" height="385">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/X7CdbfZh-NY&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X7CdbfZh-NY&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385">
            YES!

Screw you, Elda Tate, for banning those lyrics.
            Always a Wildcat...
            Originally posted by Kepler
            If you quote the derp you are spreading the derp. Please help keep the board derp-free.

Comment

YES!

Oh dear! Did she not like the "Men of Northern" line?

The previous Miami administration replaced the first chorus of our Alma Mater with a really lame PC chorus to avoid the line "While thy sons have quested from thee..." Of course, I haven't met a single person that approves of the change and most are pretty angry about it.
              Love and honor to Miami forever and a day. Go RedHawks!

Comment

YES!

Im shocked Judy Bailey didnt ban the entire fight song and block USCHO on campus

Born a Black Bear
                1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life

NMU Hockey

Comment

Bren was the only one who appeciated hockey, as it allowed him to get drunk and avoid his wife. AND they would let him drive the blimp during intermissions.

You could tell when the nights were rough.
                  “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by NMU8405 View Post
                    Im shocked Judy Bailey didnt ban the entire fight song and block USCHO on campus
                    Judy Bailey. I felt so bad for her husband. Came you imagine having to be married to that monstrocity? It's no wonder the guy was/is such a lush.
                    TECH STILL SUCKS!

Comment

Originally posted by redhawkman10 View Post
                      Ok if you read this carefully you are making the same arguement I am. Maybe Hogan isn't as good and his numbers were inflated because of the play in front of him last year. And maybe Palushaj was a dynamic player and made those better around him. And you admitted they don't have the depth which is the main problem I see with this team. They aren't as deep as past Michigan teams. They still do have talented players, Im not saying they don't but the talent on the third and fourth lines aren't as good as say last year or years past. From reading your post you have agreed to this, so it seems we are making the same arguement.
                      No, I'm not saying that, completely. Hogan had a solid year last season. No one but him can stop the puck. He didn't do it this season. Doesn't mean he is as bad as he was this season or as good as he was last season. Our expectation is that he didn't give up the type of goals he did at times this season with the same defense in front of him from last season. I also said our defense stunk in front of him, too. He was hung out to dry more this season. Same talent, same depth as last season.

The forwards on the other hand- I will concede your depth point, but only on the basis of experience. In a couple years the freshmen that stepped in this season could prove to be as effective and more productive than the seniors they replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                        No, I'm not saying that, completely. Hogan had a solid year last season. No one but him can stop the puck. He didn't do it this season. Doesn't mean he is as bad as he was this season or as good as he was last season. Our expectation is that he didn't give up the type of goals he did at times this season with the same defense in front of him from last season. I also said our defense stunk in front of him, too. He was hung out to dry more this season. Same talent, same depth as last season.

The forwards on the other hand- I will concede your depth point, but only on the basis of experience. In a couple years the freshmen that stepped in this season could prove to be as effective and more productive than the seniors they replaced.
                        I have no reason to not believe the freshman wont develop into solid players, but they aren't at this point and that is what we are talking about. That has seemed to be the biggest difference from last year to this.

I will concede to you that the defense hasn't had a lot of turnover, unless a full year out of Kampfer and the fact that Scooter Vaughn has moved to forward. But they haven't played well for some reason, and IMO it is a direct reflect on Hogan. Last year Hogan had great play in front of him and he didn't have to stand on his head a lot. ( kind of how Miami is this year) I for one don't believe Cody is the best goaltender in the league, for my money Gil at Western is. For him to have the numbers he does with a garbage team in front of him is very impressive. But sometimes goaltenders numbers can be somewhat inflated by the team they have in front of them. However, I do think Cody is a very very good goaltender, but maybe a 1.8 or 2.0 GAA instead of a 1.3 GAA. Makes a big difference, IMO. Guys haven't played well in front of Hogan for whatever reason and he became vulnerable. I am high on Hunwick though, even when most aren't. Have seen him play in 3 of the 6 he has and have seen a lot of great things out of him.
                        Last edited by redhawkman10; 03-17-2010, 08:35 PM.
                        Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

I seen the dude at Miami of Ohio last year during the playoffs. I was sober, had to drive back to Louisville after the game, so I didn't go up and talk to him. It was quite comical to watch the Redhawk reaction to him.
                          “They are a **** site better than the U.S. Army, at least we know that they will be there in the morning.”
                          – Lewis B. Chesty Puller
                          when a journalist asked him about being surrounded by 22. enemy divisions

Comment

Originally posted by devildog View Post
                            I seen the dude at Miami University last year during the playoffs. I was sober, had to drive back to Louisville after the game, so I didn't go up and talk to him. It was quite comical to watch the Redhawk reaction to him.
                            That was my first personal encounter with Goofus. Talked to him after the games in Oxford. Great guy and a lot of fun. He was definitely the only entertaining part of the Saturday and Sunday games for Miami fans...
                            Love and honor to Miami forever and a day. Go RedHawks!

Comment

It hasn't been mentioned yet, probably because it's nothing more than bar food, but I really like the State Bar (right across the street from CoMerica Park, near HockeyTown and The State Theatre on Woodward). Like I said there really isn't anything special about it but I really like the atmosphere.
                              Go Blue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RedhawkBandMan View Post
                                That was my first personal encounter with Goofus. Talked to him after the games in Oxford. Great guy and a lot of fun. He was definitely the only entertaining part of the Saturday and Sunday games for Miami fans...
                                The product on the ice was far more entertaining...at least from my standpoint, even more so in Overtime

Born a Black Bear

A NMU Wildcat for Life

NMU Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X