Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ford field attendance

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
    do a little research and come with an open mind and Detroit (and all of southeastern MI) has a lot to offer.
    My 20 years of residency in the area begs to differ. Jk.

Detroit (read: the area around Ford Field and Comerica) is fine. 8 Mile was just a movie, Monica Conyers may just be the greatest person ever, and if you are lucky she will be on WDIV in your hotel room. Enough said.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
      Lies, even Des Moines isn't that interesting while drunk. Even AFTER your hockey team wins.

Although the Wells Fargo Arena is pretty nice.

It's a shame it's yet another cookie cutter arena on the shores of a crappy river in a shi**y part of town...
      I've had a good drunken time in Des Moines.
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
        ...8 Mile was just a movie...
        It's really that way around 5 mile.
        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Speaking of Ford Field attendance... I happened to read an article recently in a local Detroit business publication titled "Frozen Four Breaks Ticket Sales Record", and the first part of the article said the following...

"The Frozen Four — the NCAA Division I Men’s Hockey Championships to be held next month at Ford Field — is poised to set the collegiate hockey championship attendance record. Ford Field has sold 30,000 of its three-game Frozen Four ticket packages for the April 8-10 event, said Kelly Erkhart, Ford Field vice president of events. Capacity for games during the event is around 35,000, she said."

The publication, Crain's Detroit Business, is online, but you have to be a subscriber to view the article. However you can see the article by clicking on the following link and scrolling to page 10.

http://www.plymouthwhalers.com/documents/CD68906314.PDF

Comment

Originally posted by JD Doe View Post
            Speaking of Ford Field attendance... I happened to read an article recently in a local Detroit business publication titled "Frozen Four Breaks Ticket Sales Record", and the first part of the article said the following...

"The Frozen Four — the NCAA Division I Men’s Hockey Championships to be held next month at Ford Field — is poised to set the collegiate hockey championship attendance record. Ford Field has sold 30,000 of its three-game Frozen Four ticket packages for the April 8-10 event, said Kelly Erkhart, Ford Field vice president of events. Capacity for games during the event is around 35,000, she said."

The publication, Crain's Detroit Business, is online, but you have to be a subscriber to view the article. However you can see the article by clicking on the following link and scrolling to page 10.

http://www.plymouthwhalers.com/documents/CD68906314.PDF
            We already knew this. The point was, how many of those 30,000 will actually show up when their team doesn't make it.
            TECH STILL SUCKS!

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
              It's really that way around 5 mile.
              and bullets don't go for 3 miles so we are set!

Comment

The Red Wings have a game Wednesday night @ 7:30 against the Blue Jackets, and hey JLA is a Sports Mecca according to Life magazine!

See for your Self!

Comment

Originally posted by CHATJ View Post
                  The Red Wings have a game Wednesday night @ 7:30 against the Blue Jackets, and hey JLA is a Sports Mecca according to Life magazine!

See for your Self!
                  The last time I checked, I have no interest in visiting Mecca either. and I'm pretty sure I can't
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                    The last time I checked, I have no interest in visiting Mecca either. and I'm pretty sure I can't

Good Point, bad choice of words! Should have said it is a sports must see! Sorry! Have you checked out the list though, out of the place listed I have been to 7 of them...I think some must sees are missing tho!

Comment

Originally posted by CHATJ View Post

See for your Self!
                      From the 3 inch wide steps, to the tarps (?) at the section entrances, and the fact that you are essentially in a windowless warehouse, what is not to love about the Joe? No sarcasm in this post at all, I love the JLA, I would live there if i had the balls to walk around barefoot.
                      Last edited by MUhawks628; 03-18-2010, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
                        From the 3 inch wide steps, to the tarps (?) at the section entrance,s and the fact that you are essentially in a windowless warehouse, what is not to love about the Joe? No sarcasm in this post at all, I love the JLA, I would live there if i had the balls to walk around barefoot.
                        Barefoot is the way to go! Just wash your feet in the sink or something! I love walking around the "warehouse" as you called it and reading and seeing all the history! Then again I do that every where I go, so.....eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Blanks View Post
                          Saturday, before and after the Championship? What to do then?
                          Well, there's also the posters game we are hosting in Ann Arbor. noon-2pm.

billy, for such a homer for Detroit teams, the fact that you don't know what can be done around here makes me very sad.

The only cities that have hosted FF's in the past decade that have more obvious things to do have been DC and Boston. The one I would put roughy equal in things to do, but can easily move around w/o a car is Denver. Other than that, it's just as hard to find interesing things to do in Milwaukee, Minn/St. Paul, St. Louis, Buffalo, and Columbus. All have things to do, if you are willing to go find it.

Yes, outside of the square mile is pretty horrific. The square mile is pretty cool to walk around and examine the old architecture. Up Woodward is the museum areas. I can spend ALL day at the DIA and still not see enough. If you were willing to drive to the Bud plant in St. Louis or the Harley plant in Milwaukee, you can drive to the Henry Ford, and see the museum, Greenfield Village, and do a Ford plant tour. If you put any effort into seeing things at Buffalo, then Detroit is easy. In Milwaukee, you could walk to the art Museum on the lake, but it wasn't easy, since there were some major roads to get over. Like I said before, I wish the rail system would have been in place to connect the square mile to New Center, but it isn't.

Things you never hear about- you already know about the large areas that are being abandoned, but you probably don't know of the urban farming that is starting up in many of those same areas. Pretty cool, if you ask me- to supply local restaurants.

I'm far from saying Detroit is great, but it's not horrible, and will do a good job hosting the Frozen Four. Is/Was there corruption? Sure. So what- find me a place that doesn't. At least it's being wrung out (old mayor- gone, been to jail- may go back, corrupt city council member- going to jail, her helper- probably going to jail)

Although, if you are set on having a bad time, I'm sure you will find a way to make sure you do that... And I know you will have "fun" telling us how miserable you were... Just like for DC....

Comment

Anyone who is planning on attending and can recommend a hotel, I would appreciate it. I have never been to Detroit and by reading the posts, there is about a square mile of civilization downtown and then it gets bad.

Where are people staying?

Thanks in advance for your help!
                            Terry
                            Go Badgers!

Comment

Originally posted by TUSCHWI View Post
                              Anyone who is planning on attending and can recommend a hotel, I would appreciate it. I have never been to Detroit and by reading the posts, there is about a square mile of civilization downtown and then it gets bad.

Where are people staying?

Thanks in advance for your help!
                              Terry
                              The Renniassance Center Marriott I think is the main hotel, nice place right on the riverfront, we are staying at the Book Cadillac, which is almost brand new, and we've also stayed at the Fort Shelby.

Earlier someone mentioned the Hilton Garden, and my parents are staying at the Omni downtown.

That should be a good start.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                                The Renniassance Center Marriott I think is the main hotel, nice place right on the riverfront, we are staying at the Book Cadillac, which is almost brand new, and we've also stayed at the Fort Shelby.

Earlier someone mentioned the Hilton Garden, and my parents are staying at the Omni downtown.

That should be a good start.
                                Thanks, I really appreciate it.
                                Go Badgers!

Comment

Working...
                                X