X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Sweet Release: Michigan Tech Offseason Thread Part I

Originally posted by The Darkness View Post
    I'm almost sure Red is heading out the door within the next 5 years. Which makes taking a job at Tech just to go back to Michigan absolutely pointless. But it's a good thought, if somebody had it like 5 years ago.
    If I'm not mistaken, I was told that Mel Pearson wouldn't think of returning after Rick Yeo chose Watters.
    Last edited by Shirtless Guy; 03-29-2010, 11:41 AM.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
      If I'm not mistaken, I was told that Mel Pearson would think of returning after Rick Yeo chose Watters.
      Did you mean to type wouldn't.
      Just so we never forget.

Originally posted by MeanEgirl to hockeybando
      *****... *** do you think you're doing?! Getting on USCHO and making racial comments about The Darkness?! I'm not going to stand for this! He's my friend ... so the next time I see you, I'm whooping your ***!
      Originally posted by nmupiccdiva

(insert joke about an NMU girl and insertion here)

Comment

If Mikesch is done, I know another Hancock High School alum who's ready for that assistant slot, and greater things in his future. Seriously, the kid is going places.
        Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
        USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Did you mean to type wouldn't.
          Yes
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

If Tech finds themselves in a really bad spot, they can always hire me. I know absolutely nothing about developing talent. But I'm sure I can find ways to manipulate and motivate the players to play their life and/or pride depends on it.
            Just so we never forget.

*****... *** do you think you're doing?! Getting on USCHO and making racial comments about The Darkness?! I'm not going to stand for this! He's my friend ... so the next time I see you, I'm whooping your ***!

Comment

You guys may not like the negativity of my posts, but I've been following the team for 25+ years and except for a couple of seasons, it's been the same old excuses over and over. Maybe if the school had hired different coaches (Gwozdecky, Blais, Pearson, and Rolston) when they had the chance, things would be different. Yes, all of them interviewed but were not chosen and have gone on to a fair amount of success in their past or current jobs. It just seems that anything that could possibly go wrong, from hiring coaches, to recruits, injuries, blah, blah, blah is just going to continue. It sucks.

Comment

If Tech finds themselves in a really bad spot, they can always hire me. I know absolutely nothing about developing talent. But I'm sure I can find ways to manipulate and motivate the players to play their life and/or pride depends on it.
                You're going to hire Arenas and Crittenton as assistants?
                Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
                I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
                Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

Originally posted by pbr View Post
                  You guys may not like the negativity of my posts, but I've been following the team for 25+ years and except for a couple of seasons, it's been the same old excuses over and over. Maybe if the school had hired different coaches (Gwozdecky, Blais, Pearson, and Rolston) when they had the chance, things would be different. Yes, all of them interviewed but were not chosen and have gone on to a fair amount of success in their past or current jobs. It just seems that anything that could possibly go wrong, from hiring coaches, to recruits, injuries, blah, blah, blah is just going to continue. It sucks.
                  I must've missed where Gwoz and Blais ever applied for the head coaching job at Tech?

Comment

Originally posted by Beer Pong Horn View Post
                    You're going to hire Arenas and Crittenton as assistants?
                    That would definitely get me to play better.
                    Just so we never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                      I must've missed where Gwoz and Blais ever applied for the head coaching job at Tech?
                      Yeah, it was right after Doug Woog, Jack Parker and Herb Brooks were turned away.
                      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

As much as it ought to happen, I see it as unlikely that Bangen will go. He is young-ish and is willing to do the work of three trainers for the price of one.

If Tech had any money to play with, they'd hire another trainer and assign one of them to the hockey team full time. Sadly, they do not.

If this thing about the assistants is true (I'm still waiting for a Gazette and/or Tech Athletics article to confirm it), then I suspect Suzanne has been forced to deliver Russell an ultimatum, so he had to take some action and shake things up. Too bad about Tok, but if a clean sweep had to be made, then at least Mikesch is gone. My only concern would be that they'll feel forced to make up for it by hiring another local over a more qualified "foreign" candidate.

On a lighter note, Derek Kitti scored the game-winning goal for the Calumet Wolverines in the GLHL championship game this weekend.

Comment

On a lighter note, Derek Kitti scored the game-winning goal for the Calumet Wolverines in the GLHL championship game this weekend.

He also has a hat trick in the game before.
                          Originally posted by Twitch Boy
                          Like the sign out front says, "the price of freedom is visible here."

Comment

I think its safe to assume Rolston and Pearson both did at some point. I wouldn't be surprised if Blais and Gwozdecky both interviewed for the job at some point.
                            Gwozdecky was an assistant at Michigan State from 1985 to 1989 and head coach at Miami Ohio from 1989 to 1994.
                            Blais was an assistant at North Dakota from 1982 to 1989 and coaching high school hockey in Minnesota from 1990 to 1994.
                            Michigan Tech was looking for a new coach in 1985, 1990, 1992, and 1996.
                            Its plausible that MTU interviewed both Blais or Gwozdecky but who knows how serious either side was about the situation.

Comment

As much as it ought to happen, I see it as unlikely that Bangen will go. He is young-ish and is willing to do the work of three trainers for the price of one.

If Tech had any money to play with, they'd hire another trainer and assign one of them to the hockey team full time. Sadly, they do not.

If this thing about the assistants is true (I'm still waiting for a Gazette and/or Tech Athletics article to confirm it), then I suspect Suzanne has been forced to deliver Russell an ultimatum, so he had to take some action and shake things up. Too bad about Tok, but if a clean sweep had to be made, then at least Mikesch is gone. My only concern would be that they'll feel forced to make up for it by hiring another local over a more qualified "foreign" candidate.
                              It's true about Bangen - he's shown by his trips around the league that he's even willing to work for free. Unfortunately, we get what we pay for.

As for assistants, I'm hoping Russell has a free hand with input from his now-juniors. Worst case, the entire parcel gets canned after 2 years, since no new head coach will automatically keep the previous coach's assistants.

Originally posted by Painted_Bandit View Post
                              He also has a hat trick in the game before.
                              I knew I made a good choice in jerseys.
                              Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
                              I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
                              Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

Why does everyone dislike Mikesch? I don't know him or what he has done well enough, but the times I have met him he has seemed nice and decent at recruiting. However, the same can be said for Jamie Russell and look where he is.
                                2005-2006: 7-25-6
                                2006-2007: 18-17-5
                                2007-2008: 14-20-5
                                2008-2009: 6-25-7
                                2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Working...
                                X