This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Sweet Release: Michigan Tech Offseason Thread Part I

Let's be realistic, anyone who has years left in college hockey and isn't gone in the next 10 days will be back next season. If a player doesn't have a complete degree and doesn't plan to play for the Huskies next season, there is no reason for them to wait until the fall to make a decision. They'll get an agent in the next few days, sign an ATO and be on their way to the pros.

Honestly, I don't see anyone on the team doing so, other than seniors.

Ryan J
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Originally posted by geezer
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
    Originally posted by manurespreader
    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Northern is in to the CCHA championship game.

They may make some noise in the NCAAs.

The winning goal was a nice rush by Gregor...

With Miami and Northern, the attendance sure will suffer at the Joe.

It is sad to see how far the CCHA has fallen. I think it is time to send Tom Anastos packing and get someone in that improves the league status. No comparison to the WCHA or Hockey East.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
        Northern is in to the CCHA championship game.

They may make some noise in the NCAAs.
        WHYYYYYYYYYY?
        Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

hey Twitch! how's Alaskan life? been to the Moose Drool yet?
          Originally posted by mtu_huskies
          "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
          Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
          Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
            hey Twitch! how's Alaskan life? been to the Moose Drool yet?
            Haven't gotten there yet.

Have eaten reindeer sausage and saw a moose wandering around the city within 48 hours of landing.
            Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
              Haven't gotten there yet.

Have eaten reindeer sausage and saw a moose wandering around the city within 48 hours of landing.
              cool.
              Originally posted by mtu_huskies
              "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
              Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
              Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

There's really no reason to fire Russell, just tell him his contract won't be renewed. He can plan accordingly and so can the University. He's had plenty of time to produce tangible results and he hasn't delivered. At this point, he's fully aware that he hasn't achieved his goals and he's content pulling down a salary like Yeo did. Does anyone know when his current contract expires?

Based on Russell's record, wins and losses, the team is no better now than it was when he took over, and I could argue it's worse. Oh they try hard, they play okay, they've had flashes of brilliance, they get sympathetic kind words from other coaches, and they've pulled off a few upsets but have we lowered our expectations so much that that's all it takes to be considered a success? Playing sub-500 hockey in a half-filled arena?

What concerns me the most is that I had lunch with Pres. Mroz a few weeks ago when he was in Austin and he didn't mention the hockey team until I asked him about it. I asked him if he knew the last Tech hockey coach to have two winning seasons. He sheepishly said "MacInnes" and his alumni aide winced. He's painfully aware of the situation but offered no solutions. None. He spent more time talking about the feasibility of making Tech a private school than he did sports. He's too busy trying to fund the budget to worry about hockey.

So, how is the hockey program going to improve? It's going to take an organized effort by the alumni to spearhead a movement to do whatever it takes. I guarantee that if we raised money to pay a coach $300K a year, we'd get someone better than Russell. Mack Brown's $5+ million salary is not paid by UT. It's funded by private donations and profits from the football program.

If we're counting on the Administration to do something, we're waiting in vain...
                Last edited by Burnt Orange Husky; 03-19-2010, 11:22 PM.
                "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
                Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Burnt Orange Husky View Post
                  He's too busy trying to fund the budget to worry about hockey.
                  As he should be considering that he is the university president, and taking into account the morons who hold political offices in Lansing and think that cutting important education funding is the one and only solution to our state's budget problems.

His job is to run the university. It's Suzanne's job to run our athletic department.

Comment

Some of you may be interested to know, I am in the process of drafting a letter to Russell.

No, I'm not going to try and tell him how to coach the hockey team. It's also not going to contain any ultimatums or accusations. I'm not even expecting a reply.

Basically, it's just a few things about the program that I've had on my mind since February. Hell, some of it is stuff that he is probably well aware of already, but I want to say it anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by JOHN SCOTT ROCKS View Post
                      YOU'DE MAKE A GOOD LIBERAL POLITICIAN. WHEN YOU'RE WRONG, SPIN OFF ON A TANGENT ON THE TYPICAL PARTY WORN OUT LINES, AND HOPE WHEN YOU'RE DONE PEOPLE FORGOT WHAT YOU WERE WRONG ABOUT. NICE TRY BUT COMPLETELY OFF BASE FROM THE ORIGINAL POINT.
                      No, this is what O'Reilly does and he's conservative.
                      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Interesting that Northern, a team which is arguably no better than Tech, is doing so well. I guess we are not that bad after all. I mean look at the strength of schedule. We had a lot of games against the eventual top 5 teams nationally.
                        Hard to lose so much but at the same time, I support the coach. I just don't see changing coaches as a solution. Putting more assets at the problem might be. Even if we got the new coach and his system, he is bound to ask for more assets.
                        Looking at the season, we had a few games early that goaltending cost us, then we had a few games that special teams cost us and finally we had a lot of games that defensive lapses cost us. I give the coach and the players a lot of credit, it's tough playing in this situation.
                        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                          Interesting that Northern, a team which is arguably no better than Tech, is doing so well. I guess we are not that bad after all. I mean look at the strength of schedule. We had a lot of games against the eventual top 5 teams nationally.
                          NMU has an excellent top line and a pretty good second one. For most of the year, we had 2/3 of a respectable top line and barely 1/3 of a second line. Their powerplay was only slightly better since they were probably able to pad their stats against teams like Bowling Green, and because CCHA refs always call a few more penalties to begin with. Their penalty kill was far better overall, and they got senior-level goaltending from Stewart down the stretch.

They were the better team in the second half of the season, hands down.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                            Interesting that Northern, a team which is arguably no better than Tech, is doing so well.
                            If NMU pulls this off tonight, I'm going to turn purple just like Walt Kyle.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                              If NMU pulls this off tonight, I'm going to turn purple just like Walt Kyle.
                              *****http://i6.***********.com/albums/y227/association330/angrywaltkyle.gif******

Comment

Well, I'd rather see NMU win it than see a seventh place Michigan get a free pass to the NCAA's. So far with seven miniutes left it's still 0-0.

For those who would like a chance to see Ben Johnson against Cranbrook, that semi-final game is going to be broadcast on comcast channel 900 at 3pm tomorrow.

Nice to see Tech pick up Reid Sturos. Yes, he has connections to Calumet. His cousin Nate plays for the Copper Kings. He was Brighton's captain this past year and was their scoring leader. He is 6' 2" and about 180 pounds with room to grow. Good skater, strong on the puck.

A little tidbit for Meangirl when she is doing her interviews of the incoming freshmen next fall: Ask Reid about that North Dakota jersey he wears around!!

D### Michigan just scored #$*&%

Comment

Working...
                                X