Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MSU Spartan off-season - the grand flame-out

Originally posted by BlimpGuy View Post
    The last interview I heard with Comley (I believe it was the last radio show), he seemed to hint that we could lose a number of players for next season.
    I guess that's much better than what seems to have been his not anticipating Abdelkader and Kennedy leaving
    All hail the Big Ten and our Network!
    There thou beholdest the walls of Sparta, and every man a brick. -Lycurgus , 850 B.C

Comment

Originally posted by Sparty Foxbat View Post
      I guess that's much better than what seems to have been his not anticipating Abdelkader and Kennedy leaving
      Ratchuk was the only surprise departure that offseason.
      Both Kennedy and Abdelkader were decent NHL prospects; both played three years of college hockey and won a national tournament; Kennedy played an extra year of juniors and obviously a year older; Abdelkader had a chance to sign with his homestate team? Hmmm, I'm surprised they didn't sign after their sophomore years.

Petry is a bit older, a late '87 with a rebuilding Edmonton team. I bet they sign him and start him in the AHL soon.

I think Tropp stays, unless he wants to move on from the "college environment". Not sure how highly he rates with Buffalo's other prospects.
      His production tailed off since the GLI. He made a big improvement in the offseason and along with MSU, surprised many teams in the first half of the season.

Tropp's stats in first 20 games were 16-11=27 MSU record was 12-6-2
      Tropp's stats in last 17 games were 4-11=15 MSU record was 7-7-4

Rowe is an '88, made a big improvement in his offense (thanks to playing Michigan 6x) and could be attractive on the open market with his size.

Comment

Originally posted by alnike View Post
        Ratchuk was the only surprise departure that offseason.
        Both Kennedy and Abdelkader were decent NHL prospects; both played three years of college hockey and won a national tournament; Kennedy played an extra year of juniors and obviously a year older; Abdelkader had a chance to sign with his homestate team? Hmmm, I'm surprised they didn't sign after their sophomore years.

Petry is a bit older, a late '87 with a rebuilding Edmonton team. I bet they sign him and start him in the AHL soon.

I think Tropp stays, unless he wants to move on from the "college environment". Not sure how highly he rates with Buffalo's other prospects.
        His production tailed off since the GLI. He made a big improvement in the offseason and along with MSU, surprised many teams in the first half of the season.

Tropp's stats in first 20 games were 16-11=27 MSU record was 12-6-2
        Tropp's stats in last 17 games were 4-11=15 MSU record was 7-7-4

Rowe is an '88, made a big improvement in his offense (thanks to playing Michigan 6x) and could be attractive on the open market with his size.
        I think Tropp stays for exactly the above two reasons. I'll add there's now something gnawing at him having to helplessly watch after (b) Saturday night's freak accident (a) watching Munn basically fall into the hands of an occupying force - and hence here's the "unfinished business" motivation.

The stat in bold has a lot to do with teams employing a rather simple strategy - put an extra body (or 2) on him when he's skating toward the net.
        Last edited by owslachief; 03-16-2010, 06:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BlimpGuy View Post
          Out of next years seniors (Petry, Rowe, Gazley, Sturges, Shean and Tropp) who do you most want to see return?

Also, of those currently drafted on the team (Petry, Tropp, Leveille, Nill and Grant), who is most likely to leave early?

IMO Rowe is the guy I'd absolutely hate to see leave early. Most likely to leave would be Petry.
          Stay: Petry (solid), Gazely (put on a 3rd/4th line), Rowe (my fav since he was a frosh), Tropp (needs to finish in the Hobey hunt).

Most likely: Tropp for his NHL type wrister.

Hate to lose: 1a. Petry 1b. Rowe
          Anybody but Northern

Comment

Well for what it's worth, in the article the State News had today about Petry and Tropp facing the decision of possibly leaving, there was a small mention that apparently Comley said that Rowe has told him that he is "Definetely not" leaving.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaurus View Post
              Well for what it's worth, in the article the State News had today about Petry and Tropp facing the decision of possibly leaving, there was a small mention that apparently Comley said that Rowe has told him that he is "Definetely not" leaving.
              That's a bright spot! Oh well, congregate on the RCMB for tonight's big game!
              All hail the Big Ten and our Network!
              There thou beholdest the walls of Sparta, and every man a brick. -Lycurgus , 850 B.C

Comment

I have intentionally avoided this board for the last week. I am still frustrated by last weekends sweep. I am not going to read this thread until we see how the CCHA tournament plays out, but oh how I wish things had played out differently. This season was the polar opposite of everything we are used to lately (cold starts/hot finishes). I am unsure about my feelings about the program as a whole right now.

I'll come back Monday and try to have a little more composure.
                MICHIGAN STATE
                1966:1986:2007

Comment

Originally posted by observer85 View Post
                  The problem I see with Tropp is that he is drafted and not a free agent. But should he wait a year, be a productive as he was this season, he could be a free agent and command similar money to forward Casey Wellman of UMass.
                  Actually, I believe the only way he can become a free agent is if he finishes his college eligibility, does not sign with the pro team that drafted him, and either sits out for a year or joins a pro team in another league that does not honor NHL draft rights. He still might be Buffalo property under those circumstances if he tries to reenter the NHL...
                  Engelwood jack, that's the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Arpod View Post
                    Actually, I believe the only way he can become a free agent is if he finishes his college eligibility, does not sign with the pro team that drafted him, and either sits out for a year or joins a pro team in another league that does not honor NHL draft rights. He still might be Buffalo property under those circumstances if he tries to reenter the NHL...
                    So he would have to sit out an extra year after he graduates if Buffalo doesn't sign him?

Comment

No, that rule changed a couple years ago. Buffalo has until July 15th the summer after he graduates to sign him or he becomes a free agent and can go anywhere.
                      Originally posted by dicaslover
                      Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                      Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                        No, that rule changed a couple years ago. Buffalo has until July 15th the summer after he graduates to sign him or he becomes a free agent and can go anywhere.
                        Thanks for the info. I (obviously) didn't know the rule changed. Guess I'm living in the past...
                        Engelwood jack, that's the way.

Comment

Maize...if he withdraws from school after next season is completed, since he will be in the 4th year since he was drafted (he would have to finish the season though), I believe Buffalo would have 30 days to sign him before he would be a free agent. This is the tactic Blake Wheeler used to go to Boston.
                          Remember the 5 "S's" of hockey - Speed, Size, Strength, Skill and Smarts - The more you have of these, the higher level you get to go to....

Comment

Originally posted by observer85 View Post
                            Maize...if he withdraws from school after next season is completed, since he will be in the 4th year since he was drafted (he would have to finish the season though), I believe Buffalo would have 30 days to sign him before he would be a free agent. This is the tactic Blake Wheeler used to go to Boston.
                            I could be wrong, but I thought Wheeler caught a loophole because he was drafted in 2004, before the new CBA was signed. I think he got more money than the current rookie max as well because of that.
                            Originally posted by dicaslover
                            Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                            Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

I could be wrong, but I thought Wheeler caught a loophole because he was drafted in 2004, before the new CBA was signed. I think he got more money than the current rookie max as well because of that.
                              Good point but sources have told me the loophole still exists. It will be fixed with the next CBA.
                              Remember the 5 "S's" of hockey - Speed, Size, Strength, Skill and Smarts - The more you have of these, the higher level you get to go to....

Comment

Dear MSU,

Please watch the NMU/FSU semifinal. That's how you play when the season is on the line.

Sincerely,

Fans
                                Anybody but Northern

Comment

Working...
                                X