Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NCAA Semifinal: Plattsburgh vs. Norwich

Originally posted by peddler View Post
    Norm, you won't find me defending the choices the committee made, the ill logic of the bracket-filling, an 11 team playoff structure, or their (NCAA) decision to make St Norbert participate in a play-in game. I just don't think that the driving force behind EVERY decision they make is entirely about money.

With 35+ traveling members of any D3 team, the cost of leasing a single bus, and the cost of short-haul commercial airfares (never mind the frickin "bag fees" , how much "FAR less" do you really think it was?
    You are right, when there is very little to no money in it, they then go to "secondary criteria", that is when they do something right.

Also, this interesting Herb Brooks Arena/Lake Placid story, puts the capacity at 8,200 and a security stopping limit at 12,000!

The last minute fares (midwest airports to BTV) are about $500 round trip ($17,000), my guess is that an "Official Travel Partner" would have contracted the package at $10,000 or less, plus use of the NCAA logo. With over night charter buses costing about $1,000 a day, it likely would have cost about $7,500 more to fly versus bus.
    Last edited by norm1909; 03-15-2010, 10:20 PM.
    Larry Normandin
    SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
    WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Interesting story on the TV News Monday night ... MUMPS on the Plattsburgh campus!
      Has Bobby gotten the boys vaccinated?

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
        this interesting Herb Brooks Arena/Lake Placid story[/URL], puts the capacity at 8,200 and a security stopping limit at 12,000!
        Interesting story. When I was in the building 2 days later, there were more believers, and none of us cared how many seats the building had, as long as we had one.
        The "Miracle" was winning the Gold Medal Game against the Finns. I'm biased, I was there.

Comment

Originally posted by PuckVoice View Post
          Interesting story on the TV News Monday night ... MUMPS on the Plattsburgh campus!
          Has Bobby gotten the boys vaccinated?
          Hope so....don't want no excuses later

No Bias here either
          The "Miracle" was winning the Gold Medal Game against the Finns. I'm biased, I was there.

Comment

The number I've always heard in connection to seating capacity at the Olympic Center (Herb Brooks Arena) has been 8,200.
            I think that is 6,000 in the lower bowl and 2,200 in the upper deck.

Comment

I know 100% that this guy is an anomaly amongst the Norwich fanbase, but I had to share the conversation I just had with somebody on facebook via a mutual friend's wall. Out of respect, I'm going to leave out his name.

Original Post on friend's wall:
              Please tell me you were being sarcastic when you said "Go Norwich". If not, we might have a problem if I see you in Placid. Haha, jk. If you really are going to Placid (no matter who you're rooting for), definitely stop by Section 6 Row F and say hi!
              Comment by Norwich Fan:
              Norwich forever, you nasty.
              Comment by me:
              I have a lot of Respect for Norwich. Coach McShane runs a DI-class program over there in Northfield. I've been to 6 games at Kreitzberg this year, including the Elmira game this last weekend. I have no issue with the fact that Norwich is the #1 seed in this tournament, it's well-deserved. And I've seen all 4 of these Final Four participants this year.

But I am a Cardinal till death. I bleed red, I suppose you're going to tell me you bleed maroon? I suppose there are worse colors. We're in for one helluva tournament this weekend, with these 4 teams.

May whichever team is the better team on Friday night win! (If the cadets win friday, I'll be rooting for them on Saturday against Oswego, but against them if they play St. Norbert
              Comment by Norwich fan:
              well funny thing but i would say that it might even could possibly almost be a dilema that PSU and NORWICH compete. but ive got to say that norwich rules the world. we were the first in everything. air was invented at norwich. god is an alumni. what can i say?

and why are psu nasties going to northfield so much anyway?

I know he's the exception to the rule. The vast majority of the Norwich fans I've met have been kind and gracious and respectful. But this guy got under my skin, and so now I don't just hope the Cards win... I truly hope the crush the Cadets beyond belief. 10-0 PSU would be a nice thing for me to hold over his head.

Now that I've said this, I can return to being the respectful fan I usually am, and say that I truly hope both teams play to potential, because we're going to witness an amazing hockey game if they do.
              Plattsburgh CARDINALS
              SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
              ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
              NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
              NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
              NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
              NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
                I know 100% that this guy is an anomaly amongst the Norwich fanbase, but I had to share the conversation I just had with somebody on facebook via a mutual friend's wall. Out of respect, I'm going to leave out his name.

Original Post on friend's wall:

Comment by Norwich Fan:

Comment by me:

Comment by Norwich fan:

I know he's the exception to the rule. The vast majority of the Norwich fans I've met have been kind and gracious and respectful. But this guy got under my skin, and so now I don't just hope the Cards win... I truly hope the crush the Cadets beyond belief. 10-0 PSU would be a nice thing for me to hold over his head.

Now that I've said this, I can return to being the respectful fan I usually am, and say that I truly hope both teams play to potential, because we're going to witness an amazing hockey game if they do.
                Norwich fans are (IMO) the nicest opposing fans I get to meet all year, yet this one is a tool.
                Plattsburgh State Cardinals
                1992 & 2001 NCAA Division III Ice Hockey Champions
                21 SUNYAC Championships

Comment

Originally posted by CardsFan91 View Post
                  Norwich fans are (IMO) the nicest opposing fans I get to meet all year, yet this one is a tool.
                  I happened into a ticket for the PSUC v. Norwich game on January 5 via Norwich alum. Drove all the way up wearing my Card's jersey, walked around Northfield, went out to dinner, and didn't hear a word. Walked into the arena, not a word. Bathroom, not a word. Went to our seats and learned we were sitting in the Norwich VIP section...me in my Card's jersey...not a word. Couldn't have had more fun --except for the loss! -- and the fans could not have been more fun to watch the game w/. When the brackets came out I was excited to learn the Cards had a potential semis' matchup w/ them because I knew the crowd will be perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by PuckVoice View Post
                    The number I've always heard in connection to seating capacity at the Olympic Center (Herb Brooks Arena) has been 8,200.
                    I think that is 6,000 in the lower bowl and 2,200 in the upper deck.
                    Why don't you guys just count the seats in your spare time in between periods??
                    Cardinal Women- 2-time Winners of DIII National Championship Games, 35 game undefeated streak
                    Cardinal Men- 3-time Winners of DIII National Championship Games

Comment

Originally posted by CardsFan91 View Post
                      You have to appreciate that even today, most of the Norwich alumni fan support comes from its military Corp of Cadets. Accordingly, that four year experience creates life long bonds and enormous pride in our school. However, even within our own ranks there are always one or two "touch holes" willing to leverage an edge or point at the expense of others--including classmates. I still recall "my corporal" from my first year and how for the entire three years we were on the same campus--and I never like the S_B. But rest assure, that we do try and kill as many of these "touch holes" as possible at birth but occasionally one or two will get away and into civilized society.

Sadly you just met one and we can only offer an apology. Now let me return the compliment.

While I attend most NU away games, I only occasionally interact with opposing fans. That said, I have been following USCHOL threads and posts for a long time and regardless of the school they support, I have become fond of what many regular fan posters on USCHOL have to say--particularly from schools like Middlebury, Plattsburg, Oswego, Colby, USM, etc. And when not playing NU I actually find myself rooting for their teams. Today, there just seems to be far less trash talk than in past years and more useful information on what to look for be it in teams, players or about other issues. Lets ignore the occasional "touch holes" of all pedigrees and keep up the valid and informative posts.

Hope to meet many of you in LP.
                      Old Rook NU'66--Roll On Cadets
                      Organized crime in America takes in over forty billion dollars a year and spends very little on office supplies.

Comment

Ignite the touch hole and boom!!
                        Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
                          Ignite the touch hole and boom!!
                          Thats the idea norm1909! You have all the makings of being a fine member of our Corp of Cadets.
                          Old Rook NU'66--Roll On Cadets
                          Organized crime in America takes in over forty billion dollars a year and spends very little on office supplies.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Rook NU'66 View Post
                            The funny thing is that sounds exactly like what folks said about Keith Aucoin and Kurtis McClean, e.g. "How come they ended up at Norwich instead of at some Division I school?" Just dumb luck I guess but it is kind of cool huh?

Actually there are a number of DIII programs (Middlebury, Oswego, Norwich, Platty, SNC, etc.) that I am sure a number of superb hockey players have opted for in lieu of some Division I program going no where. Actually, its not unlike the argument of why some DIII programs don't move up to be "Tail End Charlie" in some DI Conference. No?
                            correct, I as a recruit in 82' was offered full rides to a few major, colleges , BUT I had to make the team, I chose instead to go other places where I could get " financial aid" instead, and KNOW I was getting a good education as well as some compensation......that is 1 way players dont go D1, I wasnt going to hump it to Michigan and try and make a team, with a million other guys ,,,

Comment

I saw both Plattsburgh vs NU games this year. The first was evenly played. Second game was total domination by Wick. The 4-1 score tells only part of the story. I expect the same Friday. My son attends PSU and will be wearing war paint. Go Wick, I have my reservations for the weekend in Placid.

Comment

Originally posted by NU Fans View Post
                                ... Go Wick, I have my reservations for the weekend in Placid.
                                After their last game, I understand you having "reservations" about Norwich, I don't have about Plattsburgh, I'm sure they will win
                                Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Working...
                                X