Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PC hockey offseason and TOURNAMENT MODE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PC hockey offseason and TOURNAMENT MODE!

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
    And which one of these 73 posts does that? Hurl insults? Only after I get one hurled my way. You just lash out and dont take the time to read....
    I've fallen into a parallel mirror dimension where you actually make sense.

Oh wait. You don't. Phew.

the truly sad thing is that if we weren't making fun of you, there would be no reason to read this thread. Unless I want to depress the hell out of myself.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
    -Blackadder
    "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
    -Casablanca
    "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
    -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

So speaking of hockey talk, I decided to attend the NCAA regionals in Albany to see Denver, Cornell, UNH and RIT. I want to see how the PC team I saw against Merrimack earlier this month stacks up against the competition this weekend. I'll be sure to report my findings.

Comment

Originally posted by The Freds View Post
        So speaking of hockey talk, I decided to attend the NCAA regionals in Albany to see Denver, Cornell, UNH and RIT. I want to see how the PC team I saw against Merrimack earlier this month stacks up against the competition this weekend. I'll be sure to report my findings.
        What a genuinely odd collection of teams...so they put UNH there to draw a crowd? I wonder how many of their fans will invest the time and money to go to Albany after the "meh" end to the year they've had. Goodness knows they've been there before...many times...with the same result. Why prolong the agony, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyMan2000 View Post
          What a genuinely odd collection of teams...so they put UNH there to draw a crowd? I wonder how many of their fans will invest the time and money to go to Albany after the "meh" end to the year they've had. Goodness knows they've been there before...many times...with the same result. Why prolong the agony, lol.
          Agreed on the odd collection of teams. I really hate regionalization and such. I loved seeing Michigan, NMU, Colgate, Clarkson, Bemidji, Colorado College, St. Lawrence, SCSU, Air Force, Miami, Minnesota, Denver coming into Albany, Worcester, Amherst and Bridgeport. I know some of those teams still have come out here in recent years for the regionals, but not as much.

Comment

2 reasons UNH fans will be in Albany:

1) The last time the Wildcats lost in the HE quarterfinals, and still managed to make the tourney, they pulled off an epic upset of North Dakota, and came within inches of beating eventual champion BU (the first of the teams to suffer an unlucky bounce loss to the Terriers). (1a: hope springs eternal; I think most UNH fans are also long time Red Sox fans.)

2) The fans have really come to like this group of seniors, particularly Bobby Butler, and going to Albany might be their last chance to see him/them play.
            Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
            -Fred Shero

Comment

There is a difference in watching PC as the perrennial regular season bottom feeder and UHN the perrennial NCAA choker. The former is frustrating, the latter is just part of being in Tournament Mode®. I think I might root for RIT this weekend.

Comment

So, is PC91 due back soon?
                Originally posted by mookie1995
                bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

There is a difference in watching PC as the perrennial regular season bottom feeder and UHN the perrennial NCAA choker. The former is frustrating, the latter is just part of being in Tournament Mode®. I think I might root for RIT this weekend.
                  Of course, that's true, I'd take the latter anyday over the former No comparison there. I just wondered how many fans would actually travel to take part...but as Comicbookguy says likely they will be motivated by the senior class and will go undaunted. Either way I'd still root for RIT also!!
                  Last edited by HockeyMan2000; 03-24-2010, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
                    Agreed on the odd collection of teams. I really hate regionalization and such. I loved seeing Michigan, NMU, Colgate, Clarkson, Bemidji, Colorado College, St. Lawrence, SCSU, Air Force, Miami, Minnesota, Denver coming into Albany, Worcester, Amherst and Bridgeport. I know some of those teams still have come out here in recent years for the regionals, but not as much.
                    I've mentioned this before, but I think the NCAA would make the regionals a much more attractive event by combining them into 2 East and West "Super" Regionals. For me, traveling a fair distance just for 3 games at the ticket prices involved when my team isn't there -- and when some years I'm going to the Frozen Four a couple of weeks later -- isn't worth it. In fact I stopped going to the regionals when they changed the format to 4 venues.

As an event, it was a lot more appealing when they had 2 sites, and you were seeing half of the field advancing to the Frozen Four out of one location. Now there are 4 regionals, and less fans going, which has created more attendance issues than they used to have. I can't blame them for wanting to keep teams closer to home, because as much as you or I might enjoy watching WCHA teams come east, primarily inviting a group of western teams out here (or vice versa) simply doesn't bring people into the arena. But it's also not as much fun -- it'd be more exciting if they could find a way of establishing 2 key sites, add an extra day of hockey into the mix, and make it happen that way. Might be more logistically difficult to lock in a site for that many days, but it would solve a lot of the problems involving seeding and would certainly drive up attendance.
                    Last edited by HockeyMan2000; 03-24-2010, 09:02 AM.

Comment

I've mentioned this before, but I think the NCAA would make the regionals a much more attractive event by combining them into 2 East and West "Super" Regionals. For me, traveling a fair distance just for 3 games at the ticket prices involved when my team isn't there -- and when some years I'm going to the Frozen Four a couple of weeks later -- isn't worth it. In fact I stopped going to the regionals when they changed the format to 4 venues.

As an event, it was a lot more appealing when they had 2 sites, and you were seeing half of the field advancing to the Frozen Four out of one location. Now there are 4 regionals, and less fans going, which has created more attendance issues than they used to have. I can't blame them for wanting to keep teams closer to home, because as much as you or I might enjoy watching WCHA teams come east, primarily inviting a group of western teams out here (or vice versa) simply doesn't bring people into the arena. But it's also not as much fun -- it'd be more exciting if they could find a way of establishing 2 key sites, add an extra day of hockey into the mix, and make it happen that way. Might be more logistically difficult to lock in a site for that many days, but it would solve a lot of the problems involving seeding and would certainly drive up attendance.
                      I agree with you here. Of course, I suppose that is being negative. I'll be in Albany anyway so I won't have to make a special trip.

Comment

I agree with you here. Of course, I suppose that is being negative. I'll be in Albany anyway so I won't have to make a special trip.
                        Of course!! Enjoy it -- great memories (and some fantastic games) in Albany over the years.

Comment

What has to happen to get PC91 back on the board

Comment

Still says, Banned. I fear that is longer than suspension.
                            Providence College
                            National Champions

Save the Fighting Sioux!!

Comment

Well I just sent a message to try and get that lifted

Comment

We should have a rally and a march on USCHO. Wherever that would be.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                                -Blackadder
                                "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                                -Casablanca
                                "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                                -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Working...
                                X