X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNH Wildcats - '10 Playoff Edition

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    My guess is that UNH may squeak into a regional against Wisco or Miami. When was the last time that a big four conference RS winner did not get to the NCAAs?
    In all honesty, on what other merit(s) would UNH deserve to go? I suppose one could argue it from a "compelling interest" angle, after their dramatic defeat of UND, and near defeat of BU last year. But there are other teams that haven't had the chances in the NCAAs that UNH has had, who would be equally compelling, if not more so.

If UNH doesn't get to the regionals again, I believe that it will be a setback to the program, which brimmed with hope after last year's aforementioned gritty performances in Manchester. After that weekend, many of us felt confident that perhaps the team culture had changed, and that this year's upperclassmen would instill the notion in the younger players that success is possible for UNH in the post season. It's like building a road.

We'll see how this all plays out. Although I rely on others for Pairwise analyses of what could happen, I think UNH played its last game of the season last night.

C'est la vie. Or, if you're a cynic, plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.
    We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves than by those which have occurred to others.
    ---Blaise Pascal

When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.
    --Richard Dawkins

UNH Wildcats: Winners, 20XX NCAA Men's Hockey National Championship

Comment

Originally posted by unh1982 View Post
      WOW YOUR RIGHT , I PUT IN RIT LOSING , AND GOT THEM TO 10TH, SCARY. IN FACT I CHANGED A FEW SCENARIOS AND HAD BU BEATING UVM IN FINALS AND THEY ENDED UP 8TH. NOT THAT I THINK THAT WILL HAPPEN ..
      Is your "Caps Lock" button stuck or something?
      We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves than by those which have occurred to others.
      ---Blaise Pascal

When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.
      --Richard Dawkins

Comment

Originally posted by goblue View Post
        In all honesty, on what other merit(s) would UNH deserve to go? I suppose one could argue it from a "compelling interest" angle, after their dramatic defeat of UND, and near defeat of BU last year.

We'll see how this all plays out. Although I rely on others for Pairwise analyses of what could happen, I think UNH played its last game of the season last night.

[/I]
        It has nothing to do with 'compelling interest' or 'deserving to go'. Its based on the numbers, and the numbers only, and UNH has a very good chance to be one of the 16 teams in the tournament. Its not like college hoops where subjectivity comes in to play. Whether thats good/bad, fair/unfair, if the numbers fall right, and there's a very good chance they will (unless you're a 'fan' who would rather see UNH not play again), UNH will be playing in the NCAA's, and I'll be either there, or watching at home, hoping for another unexpected win like last March...

Comment

Tough loss for the wildcats. Kudos on a great regular season and the RSC. I think you guys will be in the NCAA's no problem.

Good luck in that regards.

Here's hoping for another Cat v. Cat fight ......for the NC.
          Originally posted by Hokydad
          Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by WildShawn View Post
            It has nothing to do with 'compelling interest' or 'deserving to go'. Its based on the numbers, and the numbers only, and UNH has a very good chance to be one of the 16 teams in the tournament. Its not like college hoops where subjectivity comes in to play. Whether thats good/bad, fair/unfair, if the numbers fall right, and there's a very good chance they will (unless you're a 'fan' who would rather see UNH not play again), UNH will be playing in the NCAA's, and I'll be either there, or watching at home, hoping for another unexpected win like last March...
            I understand it's about the numbers, Wildshawn. And I know Pairwise Comparisons will change after every game. The fact is, UNH can't do anything to help themselves now. That's what this weekend was for.

As I said, we'll see what happens. I haven't jumped off the boat quite yet. If they do get in, then I'm behind them. But believe me -- I won't be more disappointed if they fail to make it, than I was at last night's outcome (and I was there to watch it.) I'm taking a realistic view, and I'm ready to accept the fact that their season may indeed be over.
            ---Blaise Pascal

--Richard Dawkins

Comment

The post said 'of the four finalist in their tourney'
              Yup. My mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by goblue View Post
                I understand it's about the numbers, Wildshawn. And I know Pairwise Comparisons will change after every game. The fact is, UNH can't do anything to help themselves now. That's what this weekend was for.

As I said, we'll see what happens. I haven't jumped off the boat quite yet. If they do get in, then I'm behind them. But believe me -- I won't be more disappointed if they fail to make it, than I was at last night's outcome (and I was there to watch it.) I'm taking a realistic view, and I'm ready to accept the fact that their season may indeed be over.
                I understand, and I'm with you as far as being disappointed last night, and in the weekend's outcome (0 goals in 150 minutes at home is... just not acceptable), but when you say 'I think UNH played its last game last night', thats likely not the case. I won't be disappointed or even surprised if they don't make it, but the fact is, it would take a number of things to fall just right/wrong for them to miss out on a shot to redeem themselves.

NCAAW's post is just scary though

Comment

I understand, and I'm with you as far as being disappointed last night, and in the weekend's outcome (0 goals in 150 minutes at home is... just not acceptable), but when you say 'I think UNH played its last game last night', thats likely not the case. I won't be disappointed or even surprised if they don't make it, but the fact is, it would take a number of things to fall just right/wrong for them to miss out on a shot to redeem themselves.

NCAAW's post is just scary though
                  I have been playing around with the pairwise pedictor, and have only been able to find one scenario where UNH is out of the tournament. It was with like all the #3 seeds winning their conferences.

Comment

Sad to say, but the good old days of sitting up at front row with dan, josh and dave were also the good old days when UNH was a threat. A trend since 2003 is evident, and sad to say with defections like cam ried, i don't see it changing all that much.

maybe instead of firing Umile, lets re-hire coach mac. I don't know how many more girls have to leave that squad before they realize he should be coaching the mens squad!
                    "Look to the end, no matter what it is you are considering. Often enough, God gives man a glimpse of happiness, and then utterly ruins him"

-Herodotus

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats - '10 Playoff Edition

Go Cornell!!
                      The Chicago Blackhawks - your 2009-2010 Stanley Cup Champions!!

Comment

Originally posted by UNHSince1969 View Post
                        Go Cornell!!
                        and Miami... and.... BC?

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
                          3-10 was terribly mediocre.
                          We'll let's be fair. 3-9 were mediocre. 10 was just plain terrible.

Comment

And here we are again as UNH fans, saying oh well.........
                            Folks I was done buying that 6-7 years ago because every year now we all have the same glum look on our faces. Two years in a row now, home ice for HE and one and done, this time as a 1 seed verses an 8 seed, one and done. Outplayed in three games at home where we haven't lost all season, one and done. And what is the constant? Same players? No. Same system, 100% YES! With this system and this coaching staff this is what you get and will continue to get until it changes. I don't buy the 'oh well we overacheived' spin, Parker or York could take 20 1 legged grandmothers and make a competitive team, we ALL know that and yet we try to convince ourselves by saying 'Oh Dick is doing his best'.

You know I used to be a rabid UNH fan as rabid as anyone on this board and I've been on this board from the beginning. I used to listen to 'every' UNH game on my internet radio, knew all the player names and their stats, who was hot and who when they had the puck had me on the edge of my seat because I 'knew' they were about to score. Does anyone one else remember those days? Think back and you can remember how it felt listening or watching UNH hockey, it was exciting, it was well worth your time and effort. Now I listen (like the past three nights) and I don't even know what team has the puck, eventually I just turn it off because I can't follow the play. This is how the sad the state of UNH hockey has become, it has made me a casual fan...actually less than a casual fan really.

Do I want to be a rabid fan again, yes. How will that happen? Well it will never happen if we don't have changes. The last two nights are a perfect example an 8 seed makes the adjustments needed to win games and, win the games! A 1 seed plays the same game, no adjustments and guess what? Zero goals and we lose again and we will keep saying 'lose again' until we make a positive change.
                            Go Cats!

Comment

Originally posted by Jason A View Post
                              Absolutely right. When UNH is favored, they lose by three goals in the tourney. A Wisco-UNH or Miami-UNH matchup has 9-2 loss written all over it.

Chuck Murray was as right as anyone in the history of this board has been when he said that 2002-2003 were the "good old days" for UNH. God, he was incredibly prescient, and I hate him for it.
                              Saw Chuck at the game last night. Must have anticipated the funeral.

Comment

Tim Army can direct you to some lovely golf courses for the next few weeks...

(I hate college hockey)

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                                -Blackadder
                                "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                                -Casablanca
                                "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                                -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Working...
                                X