X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats - '10 Playoff Edition

Originally posted by goblue View Post
    Not sure if this has been posted or not, but I'm still thinking about Umile's post-game press conference video, after the 'Cats lost to, well, the Cat's. He was clearly discomfited, and displayed a mixture of fatigue, shock and perplexity. I'd bet he is still haunted by the results of that weekend, and perhaps having the time to ponder will bring about a change in approach to the game. I think their bracket is a better one than if we had ended up in Worcester. We fans can at least be hopeful, eh?

You have to figure he sees his chances for a NC dwindle with each passing year.
    I would think Cornell would be an easier matchup than N. Dakota. The problem is UNH isn't scoring and Cornell is the worst possible team to play when you can't put it in the net.

Comment

I think UNH beats Cornell. Yes, Cornell already beat them in Durham and now this game is in Albany. Yes, Cornell won the ECAC tourney and UNH lost to UVM in the HE quarterfinals, but UNH responded very well when they lost to BC in the HE tourney last year. I have a feeling the time off will help and expect them to play like they did in Manchester last year.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
        I think UNH beats Cornell. Yes, Cornell already beat them in Durham and now this game is in Albany. Yes, Cornell won the ECAC tourney and UNH lost to UVM in the HE quarterfinals, but UNH responded very well when they lost to BC in the HE tourney last year. I have a feeling the time off will help and expect them to play like they did in Manchester last year.
        I hope so. It would be great to see all the Hockey East teams advance.

Comment

Originally posted by Catnip View Post
          Several posters said the main issue with the UNH loss to Vermont was a lack of offence and when you don't score for 2 games, that is easy to agree with. However, the bigger question in my mind is the lack of use of the resources available for the team in those 2 losses. Some mentioned that the 4th line was non existent and if you look at the 3rd periods and OT, the 3rd line had very little play. I think the bigger issue was the decision of the coaches to go with only 4 D in the last part of the game. This was especially true in the last game against Vmt. I thought that the Beck/Hardowa pairing was the best D pairing for most of that game and even had some of the best scoring chances (Beck missed an open net and Hardowa hit the crossbar.) they never saw the ice in OT and little in the 3rd period. As a result, the other 4 D were oveworked, burnt out and had little left in the OT. They were not getting to loose pucks, losing 1 on 1 battles and creating giveaways.
          Catnip provides a recipe for success.
          I hope to see John Henrion on the 4th line, with Manz and McCarey and I want to see a lot more of the them. Manz hustled his butt off in the 2nd UVM game and both Henrion and McCarey, former players on the US National Team Development Program, know how to play against elite competition.
          All three defensive pairings also need to see regular shifts throughout the game. Connor Hardowa has been rock solid as a replacement for Kostolansky.
          The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Slasher7 View Post
            I hope so. It would be great to see all the Hockey East teams advance.
            For what it's worth...my wife and I went down to Madison Square Garden for "Red Hot Hockey" (as you know, BU tied Cornell). All I can say is that in November we (BU) were playing HORRIBLY. I was not particularly impressed with Cornell and we tied them; however, they are a team that you don't want to play from behind. If you can get into a track meet and open up the game, they tend to get out of position and leave lots of chances. One would think that this would be playing into UNH's hands. If they get ahead, they will trap you to death and dump the puck and be content with a 1-0 win (and they have the goaltending to do it). We scored a SH goal which put them back on their heels. I would say UNH needs to come out flying and just keep attacking them in waves. You can DEFINITELY win this game. Forget the past and just go out there hard and stick it to them!

Comment

Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox View Post
              I hope to see John Henrion on the 4th line, with Manz and McCarey and I want to see a lot more of the them. Manz hustled his butt off in the 2nd UVM game and both Henrion and McCarey, former players on the US National Team Development Program, know how to play against elite competition.
              All three defensive pairings also need to see regular shifts throughout the game. Connor Hardowa has been rock solid as a replacement for Kostolansky.
              The one problem I see with Hardowa is he is not the fastest skater. Being on NHL ice should limit that problem. I have been really impressed with his stick, positioning, and use of his size.

Win or not I will be happy with UNH being a tough out and playing a full 60 minutes.
              "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Defense and Goaltending win championships... With that said... game/set/match
                UNH scores early, Cornell adjusts and comes at em... Dickie's face turns red
                and his veins begin to pop... UNH continues their inability to adjust and makes repeated defensive mistakes.

Cornell 4 UNH 1

Comment

How many times has this happened.. C-H-C.. I couldn't agree more.. the one down side is that the 4th line caughed up the goal in game 2 vs/ UVM. I think Umile is worried about them being 'responsible' defensively as 4th liners more than anything. Henrion played on R. Bourque's line for a good stretch of his USNPDT season and now he's on the 3rd and 4th. Not exactly his style- he does have to eventually get it. And he will. Hardowa is tied with Kostalansky for highest plus minus at +2 for D men.. after Kessel.

I do think that this IS a different team than in previous yrs- a hungrier team that has not survived on talent per se- but on hard work all season.

Melrose can eat UNH's shorts..he probably has already forgotten he was in Manch last yr seeing most of the current UNH team take it to BU the entire game. Cornell did not look all that impressive vs. Brown and again vs. Union. UVM is much better than both of them.
                  Last edited by i'zonprize; 03-22-2010, 09:33 PM.
                  GSP.. Get Some!!

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                    The one problem I see with Hardowa is he is not the fastest skater. Being on NHL ice should limit that problem. I have been really impressed with his stick, positioning, and use of his size.

Win or not I will be happy with UNH being a tough out and playing a full 60 minutes.
                    thing that is a spot on analysis of Hardowa, but seen his skating has improved over the season and he has really turned up his psychical play to, he might match up well against Cornell, he didn't play the game in Jan so he will add some size that Cornell didn't see in that game, will take any little help we can get

Comment

Originally posted by i'zonprize View Post
                      Cornell did not look all that impressive vs. Brown and again vs. Union. UVM is much better than both of them.

I've seen this sentiment a lot on various boards...so scoring 3 goals a game and not allowing a goal all weekend (and for that matter not allowing a goal the game before that either) isn't impressive? Yes, I agree Brown Harvard and Union aren't the cream of the crop, but they are D-I hockey teams and I'd call back to back 3-0 shutouts pretty dominating no matter who you're playing.

Comment

well if you saw both games, as I saw 'most of each'.. there was no point in either of the games that I would have called Cornell's play "Dominating".. in fact Brown looked like a faster, hungier more energetic team- Cornell w/ Nash and I forget the other, didn't really do much until the 3rd.

Union skated with Cornell each step of the way- but again - no pucks past Scrivens..

Kudos on the ECAC Championship.. but I think there is a difference when a team 'dominates'.. Cornell got by & they will need to play better this weekend, I'm sure you agree.
                        GSP.. Get Some!!

Comment

"I feel the guys are ready to step it up to a new level that we haven't seen before," Butler said.
                          http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/p...template=page2
                          The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by JohnB View Post
                            Defense and Goaltending win championships... With that said... game/set/match
                            UNH scores early, Cornell adjusts and comes at em... Dickie's face turns red
                            and his veins begin to pop... UNH continues their inability to adjust and makes repeated defensive mistakes.

Cornell 4 UNH 1
                            You're so jaded!
                            GO BLUE!

Comment

"I feel the guys are ready to step it up to a new level that we haven't seen before," Butler said.
                              http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/p...template=page2
                              hope to see some action behind those words , only time will tell

Comment

Originally posted by i'zonprize View Post
                                well if you saw both games, as I saw 'most of each'.. there was no point in either of the games that I would have called Cornell's play "Dominating".. in fact Brown looked like a faster, hungier more energetic team- Cornell w/ Nash and I forget the other, didn't really do much until the 3rd.

Union skated with Cornell each step of the way- but again - no pucks past Scrivens..

Kudos on the ECAC Championship.. but I think there is a difference when a team 'dominates'.. Cornell got by & they will need to play better this weekend, I'm sure you agree.
                                I'd agree that they need to play better this weekend...you guys will always scare me, but I'd disagree in saying that they just got by.

On a related note, I've been searching on you tube for some video footage of that 2003 Frozen Four Semi-final game between Cornell and UNH. Does this exist?

Comment

Working...
                                X