This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats - '10 Playoff Edition

At least the Big Red will be wearing white.
    Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Aerman View Post
      At least the Big Red will be wearing white.
      Any way to make them slightly smaller also?

Comment

Looking at the numbers, I've become even less hopeful for this weekend - we all know about Scrivens and Cheverie backstopping Cornell and Denver, but then you see that RIT's goalie is also in the top ten nationally in GAA, Sv% and shutouts (#2, tied with Cheverie with 6, 1 behind Scrivens). Foster's name only even shows up on that page in the minutes played category, where he's third.

Scoring defense:
          1 Cornell                     33      61      1.85
        3 RIT 38 79 2.08
        10 Denver 40 97 2.42
        34 New Hampshire 37 114 3.08

Scoring Offense:
          5 RIT                         38     136      3.58
        11 New Hampshire 37 123 3.32
        12 Denver 40 132 3.30
        19 Cornell 33 105 3.18

(Granted, RIT's in the AHA, but that's still pretty impressive.)

Disregarding DU/RIT, as they don't matter if UNH doesn't win Friday, we're looking at a Cornell team boasting the best goalie in the country, with the best defense in the country, and an offense that scores just slightly less than UNH.

I'm not feeling very good about this game.
        Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
        -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
          Looking at the numbers, I've become even less hopeful for this weekend - we all know about Scrivens and Cheverie backstopping Cornell and Denver, but then you see that RIT's goalie is also in the top ten nationally in GAA, Sv% and shutouts (#2, tied with Cheverie with 6, 1 behind Scrivens). Foster's name only even shows up on that page in the minutes played category, where he's third.

Scoring defense:
            1 Cornell                     33      61      1.85
          3 RIT 38 79 2.08
          10 Denver 40 97 2.42
          34 New Hampshire 37 114 3.08

Scoring Offense:
            5 RIT                         38     136      3.58
          11 New Hampshire 37 123 3.32
          12 Denver 40 132 3.30
          19 Cornell 33 105 3.18

(Granted, RIT's in the AHA, but that's still pretty impressive.)

Disregarding DU/RIT, as they don't matter if UNH doesn't win Friday, we're looking at a Cornell team boasting the best goalie in the country, with the best defense in the country, and an offense that scores just slightly less than UNH.

come on if unh played in ECAC there goals for would be like 4.6 , granted we did lose to cornell in january. its going to be a 3 -2 game .

Comment

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
            we're looking at a Cornell team boasting the best goalie in the country, with the best defense in the country, and an offense that scores just slightly less than UNH.

Great/useful data.

And those are pretty much my own feelings in a nutshell (see post #378 from last night):

Oh joy. Our team --with back-to-back shutouts -- draws a Cornell goalie with three consecutive shutouts.

So we get to face Ithaca's most recent incarnation of Kenny Dryden. Be still my heart.

Comment

Originally posted by skyraider0609 View Post
              And for Cats fans who can't make the trip out to Albany, does anyone want to meet at a local spot to watch the game on ESPN? I think it's on ESPNU. I was thinking about The Page in Portsmouth. Any thoughts?
              Current ESPN sched has UNH-Cornell on ESPNU HD. Guess that includes ESPNU w/o HD for us po-folks. See http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/...frozenfoursked (accessed 7:08 p.m., 03/21/2010).

Plan to watch in Bath ME if anyone wants to join me.

Comment

come on, you guys have been brain washed by barry Mullet melrose , cornell very beatable , they took on brown , last place team , than a poor union team , sorry brown and union just trying to make a point.if there so good why are they a two seed

Comment

While the fact that Cornell has the best/hottest goalie in the country is certainly not lost on me, I am a believer that numbers like the ones tCBG quoted are less useful when looking at a single elimination hockey tournament. Let's take a look back to last year. The hottest team with the hottest goalie going in was UMD, and they needed a miracle to get past their opening round game and then couldn't beat a 4 seed to get to DC. That 4 seed was Miami, who had just gotten knocked out in the CCHA quarters. We also saw dominant CCHA champion Notre Dame fall to 4 seed Bemidji State as well as #1 Michigan losing to #4 Air Force. Anything can happen in this tournament, so I've been saying all year long that if we just get there, we have a shot. I'm glad we do, and I can't wait for Friday!
                  "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Agree whit - momentum is only as good as the next goal and it can come out of nowhere. It's not about how you lay before you get there, but what you do when you get there.

Comment

Originally posted by RockTheWhit View Post
                      While the fact that Cornell has the best/hottest goalie in the country is certainly not lost on me, I am a believer that numbers like the ones tCBG quoted are less useful when looking at a single elimination hockey tournament. Let's take a look back to last year. The hottest team with the hottest goalie going in was UMD, and they needed a miracle to get past their opening round game and then couldn't beat a 4 seed to get to DC. That 4 seed was Miami, who had just gotten knocked out in the CCHA quarters. We also saw dominant CCHA champion Notre Dame fall to 4 seed Bemidji State as well as #1 Michigan losing to #4 Air Force. Anything can happen in this tournament, so I've been saying all year long that if we just get there, we have a shot. I'm glad we do, and I can't wait for Friday!
                      Well said!!! I agree 100%, a new season starts on Friday, and I hope that is how the team is looking at it. Those stats don't mean anything now. I would say that the way Foster played the last 2 games he is just as good as anyone. If the boys pull it all together and play a hard game and don't quit, and I think they have more then proven that all year, then they should be in the game, and that is all you want in a 1 game situation. This is one UNH fan who is going into Friday with some optimism.

Comment

Originally posted by snively View Post
                        I'm just guessing this won't be a 10-9 double overtime (!) win like the one we caught at The Gahden vs. the Big Red decades ago (thankyou, Bobby Gould).
                        I thought of that game last night as I watched Maine & BC score 13 goals. When's the last time that happened in a Hockey East final? UNH scored 10 on that night (and another 6 the following night, but BU scored 8) back in '77. I'll always remember the UNH crowd after that win, they filled almost half the balcony of the old Garden and were in a frenzy at the end. The only other playoff game I can remember that came close to that emotional high was when Haydar (from Krog) scored in OT against Michigan in '99 at the Centrum.

As for Cornell, and this is from memory, the teams have met in the playoffs five times - 1972 ECAC semis (Cornell win), the aforementioned '77 semis (UNH win), '79 semis (UNH win), '02 NCAA regional final (UNH win), and '03 NCAA national semi-final (UNH win). As the financial advisors always say, past performance is not an indicator of future results. But we do have a history there.

Comment

I seem to remember a few years back when LeNevue (SP?) played for Cornell and he was a finalist for the Hobey, Cornell was unstoppable and UNH wasn't going to be able to score even 1 goal. Can we ask Saviano and Sean Collins if they were able to get a shot past the brick wall?

Comment

Originally posted by RockTheWhit View Post
                            Thanks for taking tCBG off the ledge. I am very skeptical of ECAC goalie stats. Every year Cornell has the best goalie. They haven't won the whole enchilada since 1970 (Cropper not Dryden) and haven't been to the FF since '03 (like us). As much as we complain about the drop off in HE this year, the fact that a bottom feeder like Brown (who have as an assistant coach Mark White) could beat Yale then have to face the likes of St. Lawrence and Union has to make you wonder how good the league is. Yes, we lost to RPI (6 months ago), but we beat Dartmouth, who beat Cornell.

Look, I have no illusions about the game on Friday. Cornell looked awfully good against us, especially that 2-3 minute stretch when we could not get the puck out of the zone for the life of us (duplicated last weekend by UVM?). We have to come with our best game, we have to transition well and get some offensive zone presence for sure, but if Foster plays up to the way he has the last month (singlehandedly getting us the regular season title), and the d doesn't treat the puck like a hot potato, we can win. Of course, Denver might be a different story, but play them one game a time. I'm sure that's what the players are doing. Keep the faith.

Comment

Greg - thanks for mentioning that Haydar goal at the Centrum. Was one one of my favorite UNH games of all time. Had great seats, great company and great result.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                                I thought of that game last night as I watched Maine & BC score 13 goals. When's the last time that happened in a Hockey East final? UNH scored 10 on that night (and another 6 the following night, but BU scored 8) back in '77. I'll always remember the UNH crowd after that win, they filled almost half the balcony of the old Garden and were in a frenzy at the end. The only other playoff game I can remember that came close to that emotional high was when Haydar (from Krog) scored in OT against Michigan in '99 at the Centrum.

As for Cornell, and this is from memory, the teams have met in the playoffs five times - 1972 ECAC semis (Cornell win), the aforementioned '77 semis (UNH win), '79 semis (UNH win), '02 NCAA regional final (UNH win), and '03 NCAA national semi-final (UNH win). As the financial advisors always say, past performance is not an indicator of future results. But we do have a history there.
                                Great post, Greg. I was lucky enough to be seated right behind the Cornell goaltender's left shoulder -- was it Napier? -- in the lower loge seats when Gouldie's shot on the fly put an end to that amazing nineteen goal game.

Age corrupts memory, but I seem top remember we were down 9-7 fairly late in regulation in that one?

Truth be told, the folks from Ithaca brought an awesome crowd to that game as well. I remember their beautiful singing of Cornell's haunting alma mater -- great stuff.

One last thing about Bob Gould -- he wasn't a huge "numbers" guy like, say, Ralph Cox -- but he got some very, very key goals for us. I'll always remember #17's GWG at 17:17 of the third to give us the ECAC crown (also at the Garden) against Dartmouth in '79. The 'tender he beat is now their coach.

As you can see from the photo below, I was lucky enough to actually be at "the" game in 1980 -- call me twisted, but even that win didn't make me any more happy at the time than that '79 title did.
                                Last edited by snively; 03-21-2010, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X