This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats - '10 Playoff Edition

It's a good thing that Gibber didn't publish a photo of Coach Umile from Sunday night's game. I noticed he was wearing the dreaded, black mock turtleneck. I suspect billb would have difficulty getting his head around that as well.
    The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

I was wondering - why did Coach McCloskey leave behind the "heady" atmosphere of UNH Men's hockey to coach in front of 700-800 fans a night?

Comment

Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox View Post
        I was wondering - why did Coach McCloskey leave behind the "heady" atmosphere of UNH Men's hockey to coach in front of 700-800 fans a night?
        Because being a recruiting assistant is a thankless job, spent on the roads driving through blizzards to Flin Flon Manitoba and Humboldt Saskatchewan, all for the thrill of a $60,000 or so salary.

You pay your dues to get somewhere farther. It's a young man's job for the most part, which is why you can't look backwards and hope McCloskey or Bob Norton returns, but look for the next 30 something who can relate to kids, has passion, and can sell a program as having energy and drive, not a group of three middle-aged or older men who have been together for 8 years while the product slips, having absolutely no creativity or vision.

What do you think the three provide Borek as a sales pitch -- "Program on the way up?" No. "We're a new generation with new blood, new emphasis, and you can get in on the ground floor?" No.
        The only sales pitch is a "we're a top 10 program that is close to a NCAA championship, and you can lead us there." That's a dated sales pitch that is becoming more laughable every day.
        Last edited by NCAA watcher; 03-18-2010, 09:39 AM.
        The Souza record:
        15-16 10th place
        16-17 10th place
        17-18 11th place
        18-19 8th place
        19-20 9th place
        20-21 10th place
        21-22 9th place
        22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
          It's a young man's job for the most part, which is why you can't look backwards and hope McCloskey or Bob Norton returns, but look for the next 30 something who can relate to kids, has passion, and can sell a program as having energy and drive...
          Like Steve Saviano (who is a popular coach at Umile's summer camp).

Comment

Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox View Post
            Like Steve Saviano (who is a popular coach at Umile's summer camp).
            I'd still like to see us try to lure Patrick Foley away from Harvard.
            I haven't been on here in a year...
            Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Comment

I like that idea of Pat Foley,but only if he interns under Tim Burke...Burkie is a little older than we're talking but there isn't another guy in every level of hockey coaching and development that doesn't know and respect Burkie!!

Comment

Watcher - not that he is ever going to become a college recruiter, but when do you think that Sean Tremblay of the Jr. Monarchs might make the move to the next level? He has a very succesful program with the Monarchs and I have to believe at some point he may want to move up.

Comment

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
                  If he were a better coach, Krog wouldn't have hit that crossbar!
                  It was all the Turtlenecks fault, ask BillB he will let us all know that over and over.

Comment

I'm actually a little confused - who's embarrassment are you worried about, the team's, or your own?
                    Well we all know that Bill is pretty much an embarrassment to begin with.

Comment

Well, there's two aspects to recruiting. The first is identifying/projecting players, the second is selling.

From the fact that UNH is losing recruits to other schools, it seems the failing is the selling job. This isn't an issue of UNH getting their first choices, but getting busts. They're stuck recruiting the C talent because they're runners up on the A and B group.

So, the next assistant's prime skill must be selling, not identifying. I'm not sure where Tremblay falls on that spectrum, but sense he is better at identifying talent. So, he may be a good assistant, but I don't know if his skill set fits here.
                      The Souza record:
                      15-16 10th place
                      16-17 10th place
                      17-18 11th place
                      18-19 8th place
                      19-20 9th place
                      20-21 10th place
                      21-22 9th place
                      22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                        Well, there's two aspects to recruiting. The first is identifying/projecting players, the second is selling.

From the fact that UNH is losing recruits to other schools, it seems the failing is the selling job. This isn't an issue of UNH getting their first choices, but getting busts. They're stuck recruiting the C talent because they're runners up on the A and B group.

So, the next assistant's prime skill must be selling, not identifying. I'm not sure where Tremblay falls on that spectrum, but sense he is better at identifying talent. So, he may be a good assistant, but I don't know if his skill set fits here.
                        The big problem is UNH doesn't have an open position currently and I have a bad feeling things will need to get much worse before one opens up.
                        "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Why not put a link in your signature? I'm sure there are plenty of people reading this who don't know the site exists, or don't know the URL. It's a bit of free advertising.
                          Here it is:
                          www.friendsofunhhockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by Gibber View Post
                            I spaced on sending you pix for the website, if you need some, let me know.
                            Send them over. I'll have plenty of time this weekend, before the Selection Show on Sunday. Anyone know what time it is?

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                              The big problem is UNH doesn't have an open position currently and I have a bad feeling things will need to get much worse before one opens up.
                              You're looking at on ice results. Umile is loyal, but Marty would have a big say on it. The only pressure is from loss of season ticket renewals, loss of NCAA tourney and HE revenues. UNH's drop in ticket sales may be the pressure needed to make stubborn Umile make a change.
                              The Souza record:
                              15-16 10th place
                              16-17 10th place
                              17-18 11th place
                              18-19 8th place
                              19-20 9th place
                              20-21 10th place
                              21-22 9th place
                              22-23 10th place

Comment

Just as an FYI - not advocating Sean Tremblay for any position with UNH. Was just curious to see if there was an opinion that he might step up to another level - maybe USHL or smaller college. He does a great job with the Jr. Monarchs and is very succesful sending kids to college.

Comment

Working...
                                X