NCAA Quarterfinal: Plattsburgh @ Middlebury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA Quarterfinal: Plattsburgh @ Middlebury

Since 1985 Plattsburgh has had 17 NCAA appearances with a winning pct.of .543
    Since 1995 Middlebury has had 13 appearances with a winning pct. of .833.

I believe that their last NCAA head to head was in 2000 at Stafford in the two game-mini game format. It was an extremely close and exciting affair with two tie games (1-1, 4-4) and the mini game a 1-0 win for Plattsburgh.

Will Middlebury avenge that loss, or will Plattsburgh once again prevail?
    from behind the iron curtain...

Re: NCAA Quarterfinal: Plattsburgh @ Middlebury

Originally posted by jimmy d View Post
    Since 1985 Plattsburgh has had 17 NCAA appearances with a winning pct.of .543
    Since 1995 Middlebury has had 13 appearances with a winning pct. of .833.

I believe that their last NCAA head to head was in 2000 at Stafford in the two game-mini game format. It was an extremely close and exciting affair with two tie games (1-1, 4-4) and the mini game a 1-0 win for Plattsburgh.

Will Middlebury avenge that loss, or will Plattsburgh once again prevail?
    The 2000 series was epic, so I don't blame you for having it be the last that springs to mind, but the teams met in Middlebury for the 2001 quarters as well. In what would become a running theme of that tournament, Niklas Sundberg was lucky to make it across state lines without being charged with two counts of stealing the game.
    Go Cards: win or lose, The Better Team.
    A Lot of (Sometimes Tainted) SUNYAC Championships
    A Handful of ECAC West Championships
    A Number of NCAA Appearances, Including Several Trips to the Final Four, Though Some of Them Don't Count
    Some National Championships:
    Women's (THIS YEAR, LAST YEAR, A Couple Years Back, '08, '07)
    Men's (Wow Look at the Time Pass, A While before That)

Comment

Dyce, thanks for setting me straight on that. I remember that series too, but for some reason I was thinking that was in 1999.

Comment

Dyce, thanks for setting me straight on that. I remember that series too, but for some reason I was thinking that was in 1999.

Comment

Middlebury second haft results are very impressive only losing to Norwich since the lost weekend at NEC and St. A's. Even through Middlebury is a home I would rate the game as a toss up with Eric Satim back in the lineup. In there last matchup Middlebury defeated Plattsburgh 5-3 so that has to be considered.
          2009-2010 Last Person Standing winner
          2009-2010 Interlock LPS winner

Comment

Originally posted by Dyce View Post
            The 2000 series was epic, so I don't blame you for having it be the last that springs to mind, but the teams met in Middlebury for the 2001 quarters as well. In what would become a running theme of that tournament, Niklas Sundberg was lucky to make it across state lines without being charged with two counts of stealing the game.
            ---------------------------------------------------------I remember this one well. The games were 3-1 and 5-2 Plattsburgh and then they moved on to final 4 to win it all at RIT. The interesting thing about it was that no one gave us a snowball's chance in h--- of even coming close in those Panther games. Everyone in Middlebury at the restaurant after game one was shocked and said it was a fluke. Yes, Sundburg was good but the guys played 2 great games! It brings back some terrific memories! Two games I will never forget!

Comment

Originally posted by Birds View Post
              ---------------------------------------------------------I remember this one well. The games were 3-1 and 5-2 Plattsburgh and then they moved on to final 4 to win it all at RIT. The interesting thing about it was that no one gave us a snowball's chance in h--- of even coming close in those Panther games. Everyone in Middlebury at the restaurant after game one was shocked and said it was a fluke. Yes, Sundburg was good but the guys played 2 great games! It brings back some terrific memories! Two games I will never forget!
              I really miss the two game QF series
              2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
              2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
              2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
              2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

The weekly question....

Leis or Williams?
                Oswego'08, '10

From the shores of Lake Ontario to the island of Hilton Head...

2011-2012 SUNYAC Pick 'Em Champion!
                2011-2012 D3FHL Overall Points Champs!

Comment

Originally posted by Ozz View Post
                  The weekly question....

Leis or Williams?
                  Trick question.....both.

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                    I really miss the two game QF series
                    Me too, It usually results in the better team advancing

Comment

Here's a link to a Burlington Free Press article on the game.
                      http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/a...climb-in-NCAAs

Comment

Times Argus story on the Plattsburgh/Middlebury game tonight.

http://www.timesargus.com/article/20...29/1004/SPORTS
                        2009-2010 Last Person Standing winner
                        2009-2010 Interlock LPS winner

Comment

Copied from my post on the Plattsburgh Season thread:

Cards know way to Placid (Excerpt from the Plattsburgh Press-Republican article from 3/13/10)

Bob Emery says his Plattsburgh State men's hockey team already has made a statement this season.

"Anytime you make the NCAA (Division III) Tournament, you've had a good year," Emery said. "We're one of eight teams remaining out of 76.

"We've had a pretty good year. We're in the same ballpark we were in a year ago — one win away from Lake Placid."

Plattsburgh State, which dropped a 6-3 contest at Oswego in last weekend's SUNYAC Tournament title game, received an at-large bid into the national tournament.

"We didn't use the backdoor in getting into the tournament," Emery said. "Rather, I look at it the other way around.

"We're in the tournament because of what we did over the course of the season, playing the toughest Division III schedule in the country."

"We've proven we can win on the road," Emery said. "We've had a lot of difficult road games this year to prepare ourselves for the playoffs.

"We need to take care of business. Middlebury knows a lot about us and we split with them this season."

The Panthers have been one of the hottest teams in Division III while winning 12 of their last 13 games, including the last nine in a row.

During the nine-game winning streak, Middlebury has outscored its opponents by a 42-16 margin, and has allowed two goals or less in eight of those games.

"Being strong on defense is the key," Emery said. "That's not what we were against Oswego.

"It will be a good skating game against Middlebury and a great game for the fans. It's a good-sized sheet and we started recruiting the type of players who can skate on rinks like this on the road."

Plattsburgh State and Middlebury split two regular-season meetings, with the Cardinals recording a 3-1 win in the first round of the PrimeLink Great Northern Shootout at Norwich on Nov. 27. Then, on Feb. 2, the host Panthers skated to a 5-3 victory over the Cardinals.

"We have to play smart and be opportunistic," Emery said.

Defenseman Cody Adams is back and Emery will now have his entire team at his disposal. "We're going to be at full strength for the first time all season," Emery said.
                          Larry Normandin
                          SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                          WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

While my attention is on another team tonight, THIS game should be a war -

Comment

Originally posted by musicianvt View Post
                              While my attention is on another team tonight, THIS game should be a war -
                              As an opponent both teams scare me and while I too will be watching another game--this Cardinal Panther match up will be a superb game. May the game live up to all our expectations. Good luck.
                              Old Rook NU'66--Roll On Cadets
                              Organized crime in America takes in over forty billion dollars a year and spends very little on office supplies.

Comment

Working...
                              X