X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Lake Show" - LSSU Laker Hockey

The last thread maxed out so here's the new edition... chit chat away

Re: "The Lake Show" - LSSU Laker Hockey

Just seven months left to go before the next Laker hockey season starts.

Comment

No response in 24 hours. We didn’t mean to shut down the thread. Sorry, about that. It was just a bit too obvious to the few that read this blog and are not involved in the group. The Laker coach seems safe so there are plenty of good things to talk about regarding laker hockey. At coffee this morning one of the boys said he heard Gysbers and Kaunisto already signed contracts and left the Soo to play professionally. Supposedly others are soon to follow. Is this true Bill? If so, that’s good news to talk about. The renovation chatter has already died down and could use a boost. Talk out of the Blue Liners is that JR is the individual responsible for this donation coming to LSSU. That’s great news that all of you could inform us about. One request for Bill, when talking with the Laker coaches after the renovation is complete, suggest they don’t bring recruits in to see it during the spring. We don’t want to lose anyone in one of our famous SSM potholes around campus this time of year. It’s only March and they could swallow a building.

Comment

I don't think you did shut it down, i found nothing wrong with what you said and the roads are terrible all over the soo. I hope you guys feel free to post more often. It is the slow time of the year.
        BLEED BLUE

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
          Just seven months left to go before the next Laker hockey season starts.
          Only 212 days till the start of the Lakers 2010-2011 season, excluding the chance of an exhibition game versus a Canadian school the weekend before. I think it's been confirmed that the Superior Cup games will be October 8-9 at Abel Arena. Michigan Tech Friday, Minnesota Duluth Saturday.

The only other thing we know is that Colgate will be up here in mid to late October for Great Lake State weekend. I'm guessing most of the CCHA schedule at the beginning for the Lakers will be on the road Guess we'll find out when the schedule comes out in June.

For now, go Michigan State, Miami and Ferris!
          LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by lssualumn View Post
            No response in 24 hours. We didn’t mean to shut down the thread. Sorry, about that...
            Don't worry, you didn't "shut it down". A thread is capped at 1000 posts and the old thread hit the limit. Your post was lucky number 1000.
            (And I thought it was well stated and right on, for whatever that's worth).

Comment

Talk out of the Blue Liners is that JR is the individual responsible for this donation coming to LSSU. That’s great news that all of you could inform us about.
              Wow! Go JR then. guess that makes my previous post meaningless.

On another topic, I was wondering what the chances were that JR would bring in both Ravn and Kalpalka on scholarship next year, then bring in Marble as the walk on the next year. At some point he said that Edmudson had "significant" scholarship money this year, so he would have $$$ from both senior goalies to pass on to two freshmen. Just a thought.

Comment

Gysbers signed a tryout contract with the Marlies:

http://www.oursportscentral.com/serv...es/?id=3973473

Comment

No response in 24 hours. We didn’t mean to shut down the thread. Sorry, about that. It was just a bit too obvious to the few that read this blog and are not involved in the group. The Laker coach seems safe so there are plenty of good things to talk about regarding laker hockey. At coffee this morning one of the boys said he heard Gysbers and Kaunisto already signed contracts and left the Soo to play professionally. Supposedly others are soon to follow. Is this true Bill? If so, that’s good news to talk about. The renovation chatter has already died down and could use a boost. Talk out of the Blue Liners is that JR is the individual responsible for this donation coming to LSSU. That’s great news that all of you could inform us about. One request for Bill, when talking with the Laker coaches after the renovation is complete, suggest they don’t bring recruits in to see it during the spring. We don’t want to lose anyone in one of our famous SSM potholes around campus this time of year. It’s only March and they could swallow a building.
                  I had heard about Gysbers but this is the first I've heard of Kaunisto signing...I'd be glad to hear that was true, Kaunisto is known around campus as far and away the most down-to-earth player on the team and a super nice guy so he deserves everything good that comes his way. A few friends and I figured that among the upperclassmen (juniors and seniors) on the team Gysbers, Schofield and Macvoy all would no doubt get a decent shot to show what they've got in the minors at some point, with Acton and BMW as possibilities due to a combination of their talent and connections in pro hockey and that Kaunisto had a decent shot to get a look but was by no means the lock that guys like Schofield were.

Comment

Originally posted by AnchorsAway View Post
                    I had heard about Gysbers but this is the first I've heard of Kaunisto signing..
                    It looks like Steven Kaunisto signed a standard player contract with the Reading Royals of the ECHL. This is the AA team of the Leafs. Good luck to him and Simon Gysbers.

Comment

http://www.royalshockey.com/index.asp

Comment

I thought everyone was gone after the season! Nice to see this offseason thread;

On the renovation front we are interviewing 3-4 architect /engineering / general contracting firms in April. We will be requesting their proposals in June. While we have a preference for a design build firm, we have several quality firms to talk with. There is a singular focus on providing the best building possible for the Lakers. Hopefully, the final product will expand on the themes developed on the web site. This building MUST be a part of providing the Lakers with a recruiting edge....it will be one of the top 2-3 team resource areas in the CCHA (even after ND does their project). It will be a place where a player will get stronger, and better, and have an opportunity to play beyond college. A place they will return for "Pro Week" training prior to returning to their professional teams camp. It cannot be done the way it used to be...but it will be done; with the spirit of those Laker championship teams, those players, honored in the rafters and in the rooms legacy of the number. But it will be done; it will be their time, their turn to shine, ALWAYS within NCAA rules, ALWAYS with hard work and determination, in a way that will make the Lakers a premier choice for a young player with the character to be a Laker. You say LSSU cannot get "The best players", We say we will be in a position to get those who we want.....everything we do will echo the quality approach for excellence the web site illustrates as step one along the path.

There will be no huge revelations or inside info on the project, but perhaps a touch of an inside look at the process. Big news will be on the web site and jointly released by LSSU. The web site and "Launch" was the result of 3 long years of work from the donor group & LSSU personnel. This is not a sprint, but a long hard road ahead.........It is a long road back to the level of year in & out competitiveness we all want to see the Lakers achieve.

Resources for the program are key, but there will be plenty of opportunities for folks to help in small ways, but the main thing is EVERYONE needs to pull on the same rope......put aside your differences and do what you can for the Lakers. Go to a game, if you go to some games, try to swing a season Ticket, at least a partial, join the Laker Club, buy a brick, join the BlueLiners, golf at an outing, listen to the games, or watch on B2, or simply talk it up.......if you own a business buy an ad, or dasher board, or get a group together for a game, be a part of it. There is NOTHING better than the road back.......lots of small steps to enjoy along the way. The best part is the journey......... But along the way "Don't take any (stuff) from anyone!"
                        Last edited by 3dognight; 03-12-2010, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Also when you update your plates get the Laker plates, any extra money goes to the University. I have them on both my car and jeep.
                          BLEED BLUE

Comment

Alabama-Huntsville going to the NCAA tournament. What a great thing for them after being rejected for membership in the CCHA. MI State is probably out of the tournament with their losses to MI. MI probably still needs to win down at the Joe to keep their tournament streak alive. Ferris and Miami look like the only sure bet right now to go to the nationals and Northern is still riding the bublle to get in.

Comment

3 dogger....I certainly appreciate your enthusiasm concerning the Laker program. You will, however, fogive me for not sharing in it. Fourteen years of heartbreak has made me a bit of a realist now.

I like college hockey and I will continue to follow the Lakers but please don't ask me to expect much of anything from them because I no longer will.

Comment

Working...
                              X