Hockey East: Anyones Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hockey East: Anyones Tournament

It has been described and elaborated on for years that the Hockey East is the deepest conference top to bottom in the country and that it is anyone's tournament. This is debatable on several levels but in recent years the tournament has belonged to either BU or BC. This year however teams like Merrimack, UMass Lowell, Maine and UMass Amherst are all dangerous and have as good a chance of winning as they every have.

My guess from watching the teams this year is that Boston College is probably the best team overall but it is my too small a margin to guarentee them tournament favorites as single elimination in the semi's and championship games make it even harder to predict.

I honestly believe that no. 8 UVM has just as good a chance to win as no. 1 UNH. Here is my prediction however just for fun.

UNH v. UVM 2-1 series
    BC v. UMass Amherst 2-0 series
    BU v. Merrimack 2-1 series
    Maine v. UMass Lowell 2-1 series
    ------------------------------------------
    UNH v. BU
    BC v. UML
    BC v. BU

I think BU has a good shot because of three reasons. 1. I am a BU fan and admit to being impartial. 2. They need to win to have an NCAA berth so they will be extra motivated and 3. They have more talent and experience than Merrimack and UNH and have shown they can beat BC. However, I think you can make an argument for each team winning the tournament this year.

Re: Hockey East: Anyones Tournament

It's about time someone started a thread to talk about the Hockey East tournament!

Great job BUhockey24!
    Fighting the good fight

Comment

Originally posted by BUhockey24 View Post

UNH v. UVM 2-1 series
      UNH v. BU
      BC v. UML
      BC v. BU
      This scenario can't happen, UNH would play Lowell in the semi, the other being BU-BC.
      time to write new history

Comment

Originally posted by slurpees View Post
        This scenario can't happen, UNH would play Lowell in the semi, the other being BU-BC.
        You've been posting here for how long? And you still don't know that there's no reason to let facts get in the way?
        Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

But if one of the three reasons BU wins is that he is a fan of BU, wouldn't this matchup happen because he likes the matchup?

Comment

it would be epic though........... but if they meet in the semi's that would be almost as epic. I think BU got a great draw, BC not so much......UNH, not at all

Comment

oh, but wait, isn't eveyone "sick" of BC vs BU?

Comment

I'm guessing that the Semis will be BU-UNH and BC-Lowell, with a BC-UNH final (again).

Lowell would cause more angst for BC at Tsongas Arena, but not at TD Garden. There, I think BC waltzes over the Riverhawks.
                Chris V
                Nexton (Summerville) South Carolina

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
                  it would be epic though........... but if they meet in the semi's that would be almost as epic. I think BU got a great draw, BC not so much......UNH, not at all
                  This matrix seems to indicate that BC-UNH could only meet in the Final:

http://www.insidecollegehockey.com/6...y/heast_10.htm

Same with BC-BU.
                  Last edited by Chris_NH; 03-10-2010, 06:26 AM.
                  Chris V
                  Nexton (Summerville) South Carolina

Comment

Hockey East re-seeds for the semifinals

UNH, BC, BU, and UML fans all seem confident. The only one who don't are Maine. Still think BC is the best team, but could see any of the four actually winning it.

Comment

My predictions :

UNH v. UVM 2-1
                      BU v. MC 2-0
                      ME
                      v. UML 2-1
                      BCv. UMA 2-0

#1UNH v. #4ME
                      #3BU v. #2BC

UNH v. BU

Originally posted by Hokydad
                      Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

I think BU has a good shot because of three reasons. 1. I am a BU fan and admit to being impartial. 2. They need to win to have an NCAA berth so they will be extra motivated and 3. They have more talent and experience than UNH
                        Well 1/3 ain't bad ha ha ha ha ha ha

Comment

I think BU has a good shot because of three reasons. 1. I am a BU fan and admit to being impartial. 2. They need to win to have an NCAA berth so they will be extra motivated and 3. They have more talent and experience than Merrimack and UNH and have shown they can beat BC. However, I think you can make an argument for each team winning the tournament this year.
                          Always great to see someone come right out and tell everyone that they're a fanboy. I do appreciate your willingness to embrace that.

With BC and UNH the only teams in good NCAA tourney standing right now, point #2 is not going to distinguish BU from any of the other teams not named BC/UNH.

I'll also disagree with your comment that the #8 seed has just as good of a chance to win as the #1 seed. I would disagree. Winning on the road is difficult in the QFs and that severely handicaps the chances for 4-8. On top of that, in the end the teams with better talent and coaching have a far greater chance of winning this thing. That's why you've seen BU and BC dominate recently (they have had both... and still do). Maine had talent and coaching (and cheating too). UNH has talent. There's the winners of the tournament the last what, 12 or 13 years? While it is arguable that the mediocrity of the league as a whole makes it more competitive and this is the year to buck that trend, in the end BC has the greatest chance of winning and it's far greater than the chance that UVM wins as the 8 seed.

If I'm handicapping (rover/spin control insert gambling joke here about the "gambino family"), I would put BC as the clear favorite, with BU next in line with a decent drop in odds and UNH 3rd with slightly less favorable odds than BU. Everyone else is significantly less likely to win the tourney IMO.
                          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

I don't see BU being good enough to step up this year in must-win situations. After seeming to be back to his freshman self, Millan has not looked particularly great the last two weekends, our defense has underachieved in front of him defensively and I still don't think we have enough scoring punch to make up for those deficiencies. In my mind this is actually a better team than the 07-08 version, because this year's squad have at times beaten some good teams, and that team went the entire year losing basically every game against a team with equal or better talent. However, I still don't see anything that makes me think 'BU can turn it on because this is do or die,' even with a solid showing last weekend.

BU will advance, but I don't think we'll make the final.
                            I love BC people - without them, everyone would want to move to Boston. They keep the numbers down. - Bill Simmons

Boston University: 2009 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                              Always great to see someone come right out and tell everyone that they're a fanboy. I do appreciate your willingness to embrace that.

With BC and UNH the only teams in good NCAA tourney standing right now, point #2 is not going to distinguish BU from any of the other teams not named BC/UNH.

I'll also disagree with your comment that the #8 seed has just as good of a chance to win as the #1 seed. I would disagree. Winning on the road is difficult in the QFs and that severely handicaps the chances for 4-8. On top of that, in the end the teams with better talent and coaching have a far greater chance of winning this thing. That's why you've seen BU and BC dominate recently (they have had both... and still do). Maine had talent and coaching (and cheating too). UNH has talent. There's the winners of the tournament the last what, 12 or 13 years? While it is arguable that the mediocrity of the league as a whole makes it more competitive and this is the year to buck that trend, in the end BC has the greatest chance of winning and it's far greater than the chance that UVM wins as the 8 seed.

If I'm handicapping (rover/spin control insert gambling joke here about the "gambino family"), I would put BC as the clear favorite, with BU next in line with a decent drop in odds and UNH 3rd with slightly less favorable odds than BU. Everyone else is significantly less likely to win the tourney IMO.
                              It has been described and elaborated on for years that the Hockey East is the deepest conference top to bottom in the country and that it is anyone's tournament. This is debatable on several levels but in recent years the tournament has belonged to either BU or BC. This year however teams like Merrimack, UMass Lowell, Maine and UMass Amherst are all dangerous and have as good a chance of winning as they every have.

My guess from watching the teams this year is that Boston College is probably the best team overall but it is my too small a margin to guarentee them tournament favorites as single elimination in the semi's and championship games make it even harder to predict.

I honestly believe that no. 8 UVM has just as good a chance to win as no. 1 UNH. Here is my prediction however just for fun.

UNH v. UVM 2-1 series
                              UNH v. BU
                              BC v. UML
                              BC v. BU

I think BU has a good shot because of three reasons. 1. I am a BU fan and
                              admit to being impartial. 2. They need to win to have an NCAA berth so they will be extra motivated and 3. They have more talent and experience than Merrimack and UNH and have shown they can beat BC. However, I think you can make an argument for each team winning the tournament this year.
                              UNH has owned BU this year.

Comment

Working...
                              X