• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ecac refs

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
    Shouldn't this be a poll......

.......with only one possible answer??
    Nope, because that would insinuate that the original statement is an opinion, rather than a fact. There's no room for debate: these guys are the worst, period.

Comment

Originally posted by olmerd View Post
      I am a firm believer that in order to officiate at a given level of hockey, it should be a prerequisite to have played at a level at least as high.

Also, I wonder what the required qualifications are. Even though I'm clearly not qualified by my own criteria, I'm thinking of sending my resume in . It's not a bad way to bring in some cash on the side...
      You would never find enough interested referees to officiate at the D-1 level, let alone anything above that if your idea came to fruitation. Not a bad idea, but just not realistically feasible.

Qualifications likely include having to pass a test on the rules of the NCAA, along with being "accepted" into the group of officials. I'm sure they would require that you previously officiated games at a level just below the college ranks (High school, juniors, etc) and would likely start you off at D-3 or women's games before moving you up to D-1.

Comment

http://www.ecachockey.com/men/Officiating_Staff/index

Look here and click on the referees. I looked at the experince of these guys and it is crazy. Some have been in the NHL (Dumas and Dell) others have worked all leves of minor pro.

There are only a few that are IIHF licensed. The are an experiance bunch of guy. Wonder what the problem is?

Just click on there names and it gives there list of who they are and what they have done.

Comment

odd all that experience and no brains
          I bleed CHERRY AND WHITE

Comment

Originally posted by rvd5star69 View Post
            odd all that experience and no brains
            Some Random Thoughts:
            1)Officiating since Paul Stewart took over has if not gotten worse at the very least has not improved.His officiating career is of no consequence here. He has not gotten THIS job done.It seems we are nothing more than a supplemental retirement plan and an Ego stroke.I cannot think of any criteria you could possibly use to give Him a positive performance evaluation.

2)IMO it is quite evident that w/certain officials it is personal and if it doesn't start out that way, in the course of a game it becomes personal,That is the highest level of unprofessionalism.

3)Maybe its just me but even when a penality is rightfully called a lot of times they call the wrong thing.

4)Most important. The league doesn't care, if they did we would see some improvement,or some new faces, but we never do and as long as the current regime is in place I suspect we never will.After all some of the worst examples took place in the tournament right under their noses and nothing happened.I guess to solve an issue You have to admit you have one and I don't believe that will ever happen with this group !!!!!!
            What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

McDonald is Stewart's nephew.

Comment

Not just refs... Has anyone else noticed that the linesmen this year seem incapable of staying out of the way? They've blocked the offense at the blue line, they've deflected pucks being passed behind the net, they've gotten themselves sandwiched along the boards. All by being in the wrong place. Guys: Please do not impede the players.

Also, I feel that four officials (when they aren't always the best at what they're doing, *cough*ECAC*cough*) is one too many on the ice. It's crowded, and sometimes the flow of the game suffers. (see above)

Comment

Originally posted by DarthBruno View Post
                  Not just refs... Has anyone else noticed that the linesmen this year seem incapable of staying out of the way? They've blocked the offense at the blue line, they've deflected pucks being passed behind the net, they've gotten themselves sandwiched along the boards. All by being in the wrong place. Guys: Please do not impede the players.
                  Some of the hardest hits I saw this weekend in the Quinnipiac-Union series were the ones the linesmen took!

I agree that they are generally in the way at the worst possible times. I'm sure that at times it's unavoidable but there are plenty of occasions when everyone in the arena knows the puck is coming up the boards except the idiot in the striped shirt that stops/deflects/impedes it.
                  Quinnipiac Bobcats
                  2023 National Champions
                  ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                  ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                  East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
                  Northeast Regional:
                  West Regional: 2015, 2021
                  Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                  Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post

As for the Cornell poster being surprised that this is dominated by SLU and RPI posters...what do you make of the fact that Schafer is the only coach to have been suspended for complaining about the officiating over the past five years. I am not saying that is a bad thing. In fact, I think he is right. But, if you support the position of your coach then Cornell fans should be in line with the essence of this thread should they not?
                    I think many, if not most Cornell fans do support Coach Schafer's stand on the state of ECAC reffing. In the North Dakota series, there was a feeling that the ECAC refs were purposefully making bad calls against the Red. However, I think some Cornell fans have come to the conclusion that riling vociferously against the reffing is counter-productive: the more we squawk, the more the refs turn on us. If that's the reality, silence is preferable.

Comment

Originally posted by DarthBruno View Post

Also, I feel that four officials (when they aren't always the best at what they're doing, *cough*ECAC*cough*) is one too many on the ice. It's crowded, and sometimes the flow of the game suffers. (see above)
                      I agree that the officials have been affecting the play (through their mere presence on the ice) more this season. I think four is just too many -- they can't get out of the way.

Comment

Related: College hockey rules

For the old(er)-timers here: What do you think are the most significant changes to college hockey rules in the last 30-40 years? Which changes were good (IYO) and which were maybe not so great? I'm thinking of things that either help or unnecessarily interfere with the game.

Comment

[QUOTE=

Unfortunately he got a pay raise, as he's now in the AHL.

[/QUOTE]

FYI-
                          A linesman in the AHL makes about 30% of an ECAC referee.

Small detail but why clutter your rant with facts...

Comment

Derek Shepard and Marco Hunt from the WCHA have to be the worst so-called officials in organized hockey. The stuff they let ND get away with on Sunday was unbelievable. Unfortunately Derek"s Daddy is head of officials for the WCHA so nothing will happen to him. The WCHA did suspend Frattin from ND for one game. Big deal

Comment

Originally posted by frmbostn View Post
                              FYI-
                              A linesman in the AHL makes about 30% of an ECAC referee.

Small detail but why clutter your rant with facts...
                              OK. Not all pay is monetary though, he doesn't have to worry about 12 collegiate student bodies hating his work.

Comment

I don't think all the refs are bad..... I think there are some guys who are good. It is deciding wich ones can get the job done and which ones need to go.

That is what we all need to decide and send that to the league.

Comment

Working...
                                X