ecac refs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ecac refs

it's interesting because Paul Stewart, director of officials for the ECAC was one of the best officials in the NHL and probably one of the greatest officials ever. however, the guys that are working the ECAC aren't that great. i guess if those who can't do, teach. and on the other hand, those who can do, can't teach.

Comment

Originally posted by rvd5star69 View Post
      are they the worst in college hockey

hell ya 100%^
      I'll see your bad ECAC Refs and raise you Atlantic Hockey Refs where the very bad ECAC Refs work too
      Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
      The Mule
      Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Originally posted by hammer time View Post
        it's interesting because Paul Stewart, director of officials for the ECAC was one of the best officials in the NHL and probably one of the greatest officials ever. however, the guys that are working the ECAC aren't that great. i guess if those who can't do, teach. and on the other hand, those who can do, can't teach.
        First, we would have to agree that Paul Stewart was a good NHL ref. If you ask him, he is the greatest ref ever. Reality from my point of view is he was average and, further, that mostly he is interested in boosting his ego and picking up random women than he is on focusing on making ECAC officiating better. In Albany for the ECAC tourney last year, he put a lot more effort into his dates than he did into the officiating product on the ice.

All I know is 20 years ago, I hated the refs but at least they were pretty consistent in how they called games. Now, the officiating can change over a span of 10 minutes within the same game. I think to be a good official you have to have a feel for the game and know the flow, and that is something every ref I have seen in the ECAC really lacks.

As for the Cornell poster being surprised that this is dominated by SLU and RPI posters...what do you make of the fact that Schafer is the only coach to have been suspended for complaining about the officiating over the past five years. I am not saying that is a bad thing. In fact, I think he is right. But, if you support the position of your coach then Cornell fans should be in line with the essence of this thread should they not?
        9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
        1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
          In my opinion, the worst ref ever (also no longer in the ECAC) was Frank Murphy.
          Can't disagree that Frank Murphy was bad, but have you ever seen Pierre Belanger? He did the Cornell @ Clarkson game in 1991. He called 21 penalties - something like 18 of which were on Clarkson - including a bench minor to the Knights because the band played Three Blind Mice.
          Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by aweise View Post
            Can't disagree that Frank Murphy was bad, but have you ever seen Pierre Belanger? He did the Cornell @ Clarkson game in 1991. He called 21 penalties - something like 18 of which were on Clarkson - including a bench minor to the Knights because the band played Three Blind Mice.
            Not clear: Was it because they played well or badly?

Comment

Originally posted by apple2k View Post
              Not clear: Was it because they played well or badly?
              Yes.
              Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

I'm shocked, SHOCKED!, by who's posting in this thread...

I will say this, the average fan is an idiot who knows far less about the rules than they think they do. For example, the number of times I hear people yell for a 10-second call in women's basketball (a call which doesn't exist) is astounding. Granted, my experiences recently are more with basketball fans than hockey fans, but past experience tells me hockey fans aren't any smarter or wiser in thier rules, either.

Comment

I remember Pierre Belanger and although he was an arrogant tool he was remarkably consistent and called the games the same week in and week out. I always knew what to expect when we got Pierre B., and that is half the battle that I feel like we are losing today!

Comment

First, we would have to agree that Paul Stewart was a good NHL ref. If you ask him, he is the greatest ref ever. Reality from my point of view is he was average and, further, that mostly he is interested in boosting his ego and picking up random women than he is on focusing on making ECAC officiating better. In Albany for the ECAC tourney last year, he put a lot more effort into his dates than he did into the officiating product on the ice.

All I know is 20 years ago, I hated the refs but at least they were pretty consistent in how they called games. Now, the officiating can change over a span of 10 minutes within the same game. I think to be a good official you have to have a feel for the game and know the flow, and that is something every ref I have seen in the ECAC really lacks.

As for the Cornell poster being surprised that this is dominated by SLU and RPI posters...what do you make of the fact that Schafer is the only coach to have been suspended for complaining about the officiating over the past five years. I am not saying that is a bad thing. In fact, I think he is right. But, if you support the position of your coach then Cornell fans should be in line with the essence of this thread should they not?
                    Baker, Mike
                    Benedetto, Tim
                    Carusone, Joe
                    Dell, Alex
                    Dumas, Harry
                    Durfee, Jay
                    Ernst, Eric
                    Feola, Peter
                    Gilbert, Dean
                    Gravallese, John
                    Hicks, Bryan
                    Kotyra, Tim
                    Leonard, Rich
                    Litterio, Nick
                    McDonald, Chip
                    Millea, Jack
                    Murphy, Dan
                    Murphy, John
                    O'Brien, Andy
                    Petrus, Andy
                    Ritchie, Bob
                    St. Lawrence, Bob
                    Torgerson, Pete
                    Wahl, Derek
                    Whittemore, Scott
                    Zelasko, Jeff

here they are. There has to be good mixed in with the bad. Who do you guys want to see night in and night out. Who is good and who do you think is bad

Comment

including a bench minor to the Knights because the band played Three Blind Mice.
                      This is technically in the rulebook. I don't know exactly which number, nor is it often enforced, but it is in there. This is one of the things we were told by the band conductor at the start of one of our seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                        I'm shocked, SHOCKED!, by who's posting in this thread...

I will say this, the average fan is an idiot who knows far less about the rules than they think they do. For example, the number of times I hear people yell for a 10-second call in women's basketball (a call which doesn't exist) is astounding. Granted, my experiences recently are more with basketball fans than hockey fans, but past experience tells me hockey fans aren't any smarter or wiser in thier rules, either.
                        Or wondering in a women's hockey game why the player doesn't finish their check...

I am one of those fans that not only recognizes a good call, but will actually say it's a good call and not shout my head off. You're most definitely correct though, in that fans will whine and moan if a call happens to go against them, even if it's a good call.

Comment

I have been around a long time and can't really comment about the current crop of ECAC refs because I have been exposed to the worst of all time-Mike Noeth and Pierre Belanger. All the recent fellows pale in comparison but I am sure they will continue to strive to reach the levels set by those two.
                          Last edited by DrDemento; 03-10-2010, 07:54 PM.
                          Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                            I have been around a long time and can't really comment about the curren t crop of ECAC refs because I have been exposed to the worst of all time-Mike Noeth and Pierre Belanger. All the recent fellows pale in comparison but I am sure they will continue to strive to reach the levels set by those two.
                            As I said, I found Noeth, Amian, Belanger and company to be more consistent. I didn't say good...I said consistent. That is better than what we have to day which is also bad but incredibly inconsistent.

Of that list, I don't have a lot of love. I would probably put Ritchie and Whittemore near the top of the list....but that is like saying dog poop doesn't smell as bad as horse poop. The best was Dave Hanson but he moved on to bigger and better a year or two ago and even he really upset me by not calling a penalty when Casey Parenteau was drilled head first into the boards in Albany in the ECAC Consolation in 2007 and while he laid on the ice not moving at all, just stepped over him and let play go on.

Honestly the range on that list is from below average to absolutely awful. We need a few that are above average in this league.

Comment

They have all been part of an elaborate conspiracy to defraud SLU since 1999.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

...They were horribly inconsistent and caused a lot of frustration...
                                ...and that is what drives me nuts most about the officiating in this league. And it is fairly universal from my vantagepoint. It's almost as if they are officiating to keep the game close, or to level the playing field. I am a firm believer that in order to officiate at a given level of hockey, it should be a prerequisite to have played at a level at least as high.

Also, I wonder what the required qualifications are. Even though I'm clearly not qualified by my own criteria, I'm thinking of sending my resume in . It's not a bad way to bring in some cash on the side...

Comment

Working...
                                X