Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BU Terriers vs. Mercyhurst Lakers; East vs. (hmmm, East?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BU Terriers vs. Mercyhurst Lakers; East vs. (hmmm, East?)

Any thoughts on how these two matchup?

Oh and, aside from moving on through the NCAA's, does the winner also get KC?
    Toe Blake On goalies: "You get four goals off them, or five, but the goal you've got to have to win, somehow the great ones don't let you get it.”

Re: BU Terriers vs. Mercyhurst Lakers; East vs. (hmmm, East?)

Originally posted by IceIsNice View Post
    I think the Lakers win this one handily. No slight to BU. Mercyhurst has just been to strong and consistent all year.

Well...I'm a little skeptical of that happening.

But you never know.
    Minnesota Hockey

Comment

BU. Tough to keep 'em down.

Comment

How good is BU's goalie? Against similar teams (based on their Rutter/KRACH/RPI ranking), the trend is for Mercyhurst to out shoot the opponent 40-15. If the goalie stands on her head, a close games is possible (witness the CHA final against Syracuse).

However, Mercyhurst tends to blow the opponents away the first game of a weekend set. Hurst's two losses were both occurred in the second game, as well as 2 out of the 3 ties. Not sure why, but my guess is that most teams have a difficult time handling the Lakers the first time they see them. The constant waves of speedy skaters really seems to but teams on their heels.

My (Rutter) ratings suggest that Merychurst wins 87 out of 100 times. My guess is that Saturday will not be one of those 13 games BU needs.

Comment

Originally posted by LakersFan View Post
          How good is BU's goalie? Against similar teams (based on their Rutter/KRACH/RPI ranking), the trend is for Mercyhurst to out shoot the opponent 40-15. If the goalie stands on her head, a close games is possible (witness the CHA final against Syracuse).

However, Mercyhurst tends to blow the opponents away the first game of a weekend set. Hurst's two losses were both occurred in the second game, as well as 2 out of the 3 ties. Not sure why, but my guess is that most teams have a difficult time handling the Lakers the first time they see them. The constant waves of speedy skaters really seems to but teams on their heels.

My (Rutter) ratings suggest that Merychurst wins 87 out of 100 times. My guess is that Saturday will not be one of those 13 games BU needs.
          Good luck getting that many shots on them. In the games that I've seen Miss Haber doesn't look like a world beater (like say Schelling)...because she doesn't have to be. She is economical in her moves, plays her angles well, is solid on rebound control, and has D in front of her that tend to limit second chances.

Comment

A high 30s shot count for Mercyhurst seems reasonable, given BU and Mercyhurst's histories this season. I don't see BU being held to too far under 20 shots.
            Last edited by dave1381; 03-08-2010, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
              Good luck getting that many shots on them. In the games that I've seen Miss Haber doesn't look like a world beater (like say Schelling)...because she doesn't have to be. She is economical in her moves, plays her angles well, is solid on rebound control, and has D in front of her that tend to limit second chances.
              UMD for the season gave up, on average, 30.6 shots a game. Mercyhurst put 37 and 44 when the played.

Clarkson for the season gave up 23.6 shots per game. Merychurst had 43 and 36 when they played.

Mercyhurst averaged 37.5 shots a game (no using the "weak" CHA excuse here, see above). BU gives up on average 26.2 shots per game, but given Mercyhurst's track record in big games, I fully expect the BU to see between 35 and 40 shots.

Full disclosure:

I am half of the team that determines SOG for Mercyhurst home games, so I am using my own data here.

I also understand SOG does not equal goals, but I do think shot on goals is correlated with amount of time spent in the offensive zone. And it is hard to score goals when you don't have the puck.

Bottom line: I don't think BU has seen pressure, especially on the penalty kill, like Mercyhurst brings. And it comes in waves. Of course, recent games will show that you don't have to have many shots against Hurst to score goals. In many cases, the prolonged lack of action is tough of the Hurst keepers.

Comment

From my perspective as a UNH fan, BU played us very similar to how PC kept the 'Cats in check. They play a physical game, always with a stick or body in the way. It's as close to "clutch and grab" as I've really seen in the women's game. For the most part they get away with it, and do it well, although BU will definitely take some penalties.
                113-162-27 .419

252-113-40 .672

Comment

Lakerfan, I have to disagree with your concept that SOG's correlate to being in the offensive zone.....for myself, SOG equals scoring chances....either a dump-in or a defenseman's slapped stick have to count as a SOG.....
                  Freak, you've given a good discription of the UNH -BU game.....if the Lakers can control the middle of the ice, regardless of the zone, they will be tough on Haber, but if BU can keep them to the boards, it will negate their speed and give Haber a good view of their shots....

Comment

Originally posted by freak View Post
                    although BU will definitely take some penalties.
                    To this point, BU averaged just over 10 PIM/game this season, and 11 PIM in Hockey East games.

Their PK wasn't great at 82.3% overall and 86.1% in conference games.
                    113-162-27 .419

252-113-40 .672

Comment

One thing that makes it a little tough to quantify BU based on season stats is that they've seemed to be an entirely different team after Kirchner got the CFB against Northeastern in the Beanpot semi. On paper, this game is no match. But if the Terriers are packing more than the paper says, who knows.
                      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
                        Right. I'd say that the one place Haber has had problems has been rebounds. When she controls them, she does great. As long as she controls the rebounds, she'll do well.
                        Originally posted by nmupiccdiva
                        ...anyone that can start a meme like that is welcome and will fit in just fine around here.

Comment

Hurst will win this one by a touchdown (if they can avoid the knee-seeking missile).
                          Last edited by TonyTheTiger20; 03-11-2010, 03:35 PM.
                          Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                          Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                          Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

IceIsNice - Re: your rep: I forgot you had connections to the team! It makes it much easier for me to support them now. Good luck!
                            Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                            Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                            Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Everyone must figure that Hurst has this one in the bag....only 1 page of discussion all week...this one might make it 2, either way for Durocher's sake, and for Haber, who is really a great kid representing the athlete we adore in these women, I hope that HE has another representative in the FF....yes assuming the Cats can pull the upset as well......

Comment

Working...
                              X