Spartans vs. Wolverines - Playoff Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spartans vs. Wolverines - Playoff Edition

Not like there will be any trash talking going on this week...

We might at well centralize all the same old trash talk about how MSU was lucky to win the championship in 2007 and the reminders of UM's glorious history and how Comley cant recruit anyone above 6' and how Gordon ****ed in public. So when you guys get all that stuff out of the way, there is hockey to be played this weekend.

As for hockey...UM looked strong this past weekend against the Kewadin Flu Clinic Hockey Club. Though untested, Hunwick looked respectable compared to the disaster in South Bend the week before. Any word if Bryan Hogan will be back this weekend?

Michigan is the older and more experienced team that has not met expectations. MSU is a younger team that surpassed many expectations, but now they are expected to compete for the CCHA tournament crown. This series bothers me as a Spartan, but I look forward to an exciting weekend of hockey at Munn.

Spartans in 3 is my guess.
    Last edited by STATEdude3; 03-08-2010, 02:45 PM.
    MICHIGAN STATE
    1966:1986:2007

Re: Spartans vs. Wolverines - Playoff Edition

Looks like the CCHA brass got its dream matchup of MSU/UM. Oh wait . . . That won't be at the Joe during championship weekend, will it? Scratch this post.

Comment

All i can say is go MSU and lets pllllaaayyyy hockey!

Comment

Everything I hear about Hogan says that he is very doubtful for this weekend. And while Shawn did have his moments, he also had his "moments". If the D plays well, and he can see the puck, I think he'll do a credible job.

The other interesting note- Summers left the game early- precautionary due to knee to knee hit. No idea of his status, but he'll probably played. Vaughn filled in and played quite well for the rest of the game.

Our big question is if we can keep up the scoring momentum. If not, the NCAA streak will end abrutly this weekend.

What's interesting, to me, it appears that if, somehow, UM pulls this one off, it really puts MSU on the edge for the NCAA- do I see that right? I find that very interesting.

Either way, if UM plays anywhere like it did Saturday, you will have an entertaining weekend of hockey at Munn.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
          Everything I hear about Hogan says that he is very doubtful for this weekend. And while Shawn did have his moments, he also had his "moments". If the D plays well, and he can see the puck, I think he'll do a credible job.

The other interesting note- Summers left the game early- precautionary due to knee to knee hit. No idea of his status, but he'll probably played. Vaughn filled in and played quite well for the rest of the game.

Our big question is if we can keep up the scoring momentum. If not, the NCAA streak will end abrutly this weekend.

What's interesting, to me, it appears that if, somehow, UM pulls this one off, it really puts MSU on the edge for the NCAA- do I see that right? I find that very interesting.

Either way, if UM plays anywhere like it did Saturday, you will have an entertaining weekend of hockey at Munn.
          If MSU can't manage more than a win this weekend, our NCAA-less streak (2) continues.

Comment

We can feel all the love emanating from this matchup clear down here in Columbus! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
              We can feel all the love emanating from this matchup clear down here in Columbus! LOL!
              Ha i bet

Comment

Considering that LSSU and WMU are the only teams UM was able to beat twice in the same weekend, I don't like our chances. Now with a second string goalie with little experience, I think the question is, 'Will it be close or be a blow out?' I predict one of each, a one or 2 goal loss friday, and a drubbing the next night as the Spartans will get at least 4 goals on the PP.
                No man is entitled to the benefits of freedom if he is not vigilant in its preservation. - Douglas MacArthur

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

So how many of you pests can we expect at Munn this weekend? Every time you come up here you do make an awful rucus before the game. Fortunately our team usually does its job and you guys shut up pretty quickly and undoubtedly leave sometime around the 8 minute mark of the 3rd period.
                  MICHIGAN STATE
                  1966:1986:2007

Comment

Originally posted by Wol4ine View Post
                    Considering that LSSU and WMU are the only teams UM was able to beat twice in the same weekend, I don't like our chances. Now with a second string goalie with little experience, I think the question is, 'Will it be close or be a blow out?' I predict one of each, a one or 2 goal loss friday, and a drubbing the next night as the Spartans will get at least 4 goals on the PP.
                    *****http://www.cityofanderson.com/emergency/images/fws01.jpg******

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                      *****http://www.cityofanderson.com/emergency/images/fws01.jpg******
                      I almost agree with you, but it appears that both Summers and Vaughn may join Hogan on the sidelines. Yikes.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                        I almost agree with you, but it appears that both Summers and Vaughn may join Hogan on the sidelines. Yikes.
                        I thought both Summers and Hogan were mended. Any idea why he left the game last weekend?
                        With Summers out, it doesn't matter who your netminder is. Wow.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                          I thought both Summers and Hogan were mended. Any idea why he left the game last weekend?
                          With Summers out, it doesn't matter who your netminder is. Wow.
                          Summers- leg to leg hit caused some issues- no current status I've heard of

Vaughn (who filled in for Summers really well)- Shoulder.

Hogan- still day to day with the groin.

Brutal.

Comment

From a pure hockey standpoint i really like this matchup because this year and most years, Michigan doesn't win at Munn. Even last year it took a late game meltdown by us. Buuuuut now I have to sit through more games against michigan. Yeah, everything may point to us being better but that didn't stop Brian Stewart 2 years ago. Both teams NCAA hopes are on the line here so i think we will actually see 3 very close games. I think Hunwick will play way better than he should and it will be maddening. He will play the role of the rookie goaltender and we shall play the role of the Red Wings.

Comment

Any update on how many students will actually show up?

Comment

Working...
                              X