PDA

View Full Version : WCHA First Round: #9 Anchorage at #2 Wisconsin

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8

Red Cloud
03-13-2010, 06:40 PM
Listen to the Puck Swami. He is big heap smart.

jwilli
03-13-2010, 07:59 PM
Bracketology itself is speculation. The concept of "rewarding the #1 seed" is also speculative. Diminishing flights for #1 teams is a stated goal of the committee.

In this case, there is no "close to home" for Denver. That's the way it is. Fortunately, since Denver's not the #1 overall seed, your argument is moot anyway.
Check the PWR - Denver is the #1 overall.

Red Cloud
03-13-2010, 08:01 PM
Check the PWR - Denver is the #1 overall.

OK, checked the PWR. Yup, still Miami.

jwilli
03-13-2010, 08:18 PM
OK, checked the PWR. Yup, still Miami.
1 Denver 24 2 26-7-4 .7568 1 .5852*
2 Miami 23 1 25-5-7 .7703 2 .5848*
3 Wisconsin 22 3t 23-9-4 .6944 3 .5690
4 Boston College 21 7t 22-10-3 .6714 5 .5558
5 North Dakota 20 9 21-11-5 .6351 4 .5560

Maybe the PWR you're referring to isn't current?

Red Cloud
03-13-2010, 09:59 PM
1 Denver 24 2 26-7-4 .7568 1 .5852*
2 Miami 23 1 25-5-7 .7703 2 .5848*
3 Wisconsin 22 3t 23-9-4 .6944 3 .5690
4 Boston College 21 7t 22-10-3 .6714 5 .5558
5 North Dakota 20 9 21-11-5 .6351 4 .5560

Maybe the PWR you're referring to isn't current?

Current as of your most recent post? Yes, now Denver is in first because Miami lost. Current as of the time of your first post in this discussion? No.

solovsfett
03-13-2010, 10:03 PM
good game by UW tonight. Bendickson has had a hell of a run lately. Boom Boom the 3rd back to his usual self after the injury it appears.

hopefully they can win one and make the F5 championship game

and this is where you have to really feel that UW did themselves the biggest favor 2 weeks ago when they locked up 2nd place. because the remaining series outside of 1 v 10 and 2 v 9, are all going 3 games...yikes

WeWantMore
03-13-2010, 10:21 PM
Pretty good effort from the Badgers tonight. Some thoughts
-UAA has to feel a little unlucky, Badgers 2nd goal came after the linesman deflected a pass
-Gudmandson pretty good again, I'm willing to chalk the 2nd goal up to some bad luck. Plus he committed an absolute robbery earlier in the game.
-Kevin Clark certainly didn't endear himself to the Kohl Center crowd
- Great to see Bendickson get rewarded with 2 goals tonight

Red Till I'm Dead!
03-13-2010, 10:27 PM
UW tonight showed a lot of metal toughness after giving up two soft goals. Comming back like that at the end of the second period with two straight PP goals was HUGE. That is the kind of heart they are going to need in the tourney in two week.

Go RED!!!

Tundra
03-13-2010, 11:17 PM
Congrats on the sweep. Good luck the rest of the way.

VarsityWisconsin
03-14-2010, 08:18 AM
UW tonight showed a lot of metal toughness after giving up two soft goals. Comming back like that at the end of the second period with two straight PP goals was HUGE. That is the kind of heart they are going to need in the tourney in two week.

Go RED!!!

2 soft goals? The Goal after UW just killed off a 5 on 3 was not soft. That was a heck of a top shelf wrister that Ryan Miller wouldn't have stopped. On the other goal, Goody simply got caught out of the net on a miscommunication with his defense so you can give some blame to the DMen on that one. Maybe I saw a different game, though.

VarsityWisconsin
03-14-2010, 08:26 AM
Here's a follow up to Goody's performance last night...

“Their goaltender was a difference-maker tonight and their top guys made plays and scored,” Seawolves coach Dave Shyiak said. “For us, it wasn’t a lack of trying, a lack of effort, a lack of chances, because we certainly had our chances and their goaltender came up time and time again with some big saves.”

The Seawolves were outshooting the Badgers after two periods, but Gudmandson came up big time and time again, and his teammates took notice.

“Guddy played one heck of a game tonight, that’s for sure,” Badgers tri-captain Blake Geoffrion said. “He looked very, very confident and that’s why he played as well as he did. And it’s a great time for him to start playing as good as he is.”

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/recaps/20092010/m/03/13/uaa-uw.php#ixzz0i9o0B2YY

WeWantMore
03-14-2010, 09:36 AM
I watched the 2nd goal again last night on the replay, and it didn't look like Guddy ever even touched the puck. It took a funny bounce off the boards to begin with, and then when he was about to play the puck, he got bumped by a UAA player and his stick lifted up a bit and it slid right through his legs.

Red Till I'm Dead!
03-14-2010, 09:52 AM
2 soft goals? The Goal after UW just killed off a 5 on 3 was not soft. That was a heck of a top shelf wrister that Ryan Miller wouldn't have stopped. On the other goal, Goody simply got caught out of the net on a miscommunication with his defense so you can give some blame to the DMen on that one. Maybe I saw a different game, though.

Are you kidding me! First of all it a slap shot from the blue line. Secondly, it was going low and to the near side until it went off Blake's skate. It may have been more of the luck of the bouce type goal but it was NOT a great shot. That type of goal happens but I consider deflections off a teammate a boucey puck "luck" goal. If UW gotten a goal like that, I would put that in the "I glad they tried to block that shot because that was the ONLY way that was going in" column.

And if you were at the game, check your eyesight because the replay showed it clearly!

Madtown
03-14-2010, 10:39 AM
was at last nights game, and it went how I thought it would/should. We came out hard and looked good. Alaska battled back then we finished them. Good mental toughness as was mentioned and as far as im concerned Goody is back. He looked like he was seeing the puck good didn't give up juicy rebounds, and made some great saves. 2 goals in a hockey game happen and both were in my mind bounces of the puck type goals. Still some room for improvement on the PP, but I believe we just don't match up for some reason with them. The regular season was the same if I remember right. Who's headed to the Xcel this weekend. Will be there Fri. and Sat. and hopefully a return trip the next weekend. Go Bucky

Almington
03-14-2010, 10:43 AM
Are you kidding me! First of all it a slap shot from the blue line. Secondly, it was going low and to the near side until it went off Blake's skate. It may have been more of the luck of the bouce type goal but it was NOT a great shot. That type of goal happens but I consider deflections off a teammate a boucey puck "luck" goal. If UW gotten a goal like that, I would put that in the "I glad they tried to block that shot because that was the ONLY way that was going in" column.

And if you were at the game, check your eyesight because the replay showed it clearly!
Maybe VW just didn't see it due to ignorance. We know that he has that is spades. :rolleyes:

Pucks that go in off deflections and other weird bounces happen, they are seldom soft goals and not the goalies fault. The advantage is what when you score 4 or more goals, those fluky bounces don't matter (as much).

GoBucky36
03-14-2010, 01:58 PM
http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-hockey/recaps/031310aab.html
[quote]The No. 3 Wisconsin men’s hockey team (24-9-4, 17-8-3 WCHA) punched its ticket to the WCHA Final Five after topping the Alaska Anchorage Seawolves (12-22-2, 9-17-2), 7-2, Saturday night in the Kohl Center. The Badgers saw two-goal games from senior forwards Blake Geoffrion (Brentwood, Tenn.) and Aaron Bendickson (Thief River Falls, Minn.), as well as 35 saves from junior goaltender Scott Gudmandson (Sherwood Park, Alberta) in the win.[quote]
All in all a good game, but the Badgers looked pretty flat in the 2nd period and Gudmanson gave up a couple of pretty easy goals. Especially the 2nd goal where he left the net wide open. It was an honest mistake though, but one that was a HUGE mistake.
It was great to see the Badgers kill that 5 on 3 PP and I think the only reason that UA-A scored their first goal was luck. When the puck gets deflected off of a defender and goes in, thats a lucky goal, IMO.
I was very pleased with how the Badgers played for the most part though. The Badgers could score pretty much anytime they wanted and were able to deny U-AA on a lot of the scoring opportunities and PPs that they had.

jwilli
03-14-2010, 02:19 PM
Current as of your most recent post? Yes, now Denver is in first because Miami lost. Current as of the time of your first post in this discussion? No.
Not sure why you're having so much trouble admiting you made a mistake. The record for Miami in the PWR I posted was 25-5-7. After their loss to Ohio State on Saturday, their record is 25-6-7. Denver was the overall #1 before Saturday's games. I'm not trying to one up you, just defending myself.

Timothy A
03-14-2010, 02:57 PM
Man, is UAA's Clark a goon. Just about every scuffle included him. One play, he pulled down Goulebef, saw he got a penalty for it, and pulled him down again.

Red Cloud
03-14-2010, 03:24 PM
Not sure why you're having so much trouble admiting you made a mistake. The record for Miami in the PWR I posted was 25-5-7. After their loss to Ohio State on Saturday, their record is 25-6-7. Denver was the overall #1 before Saturday's games. I'm not trying to one up you, just defending myself.

You were the one that was in error. Miami was #1 in the Pairwise when you were busy railing on how likely Denver was to be going to St. Paul (and they're still not likely). Whatever source that told you otherwise at the time was flat wrong - I double checked myself, both at USCHO and CHN, and it was Miami that was #1.

If you want to continue to be wrong, that's your problem, not mine.

VarsityWisconsin
03-14-2010, 03:37 PM

My Bad. I was not very lucid at that point. After the 2nd period ended on WPT I dozed off and next thing I know it's 2 am and I'm laying on the couch. Crap

EDIT: For vocabulary error.