X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Off-Season Thread 2010 -- The Calm Before the Storm

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    There is a half-page article in the 3/29/10 Hockey News about Jerry D'Amigo.
    Is Hockey News also a magazine? I didn't find anything on the website until I saw what you had put as the date.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      Is Hockey News also a magazine? I didn't find anything on the website until I saw what you had put as the date.
      Yes, it is a magazine, formerly a newspaper. The website doesn't contain what is in the magazine. There is nothing really new in the article.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post

As for CU, as Doc D has long advocated, its not only strength, but size. You can have a kid who is five 5'10 and strong as a horse...but he won't be any match for a kid who is 6'3 and strong as a horse.

That said, I think RPI made significant strides in S&C this year and expect another step forward next season. Seth knows he needs a few behemoths to enroll (HELLO, B.R.O!!!!) !!!!), and he's working on it... 'til then, we're gonna take our lumps against certain teams.
        Absolutely! I have never said every member of the team needs to be big-but I am still a great believer in Newton's Laws. Big bodies move small bodies out of the way. I think Luke is going to be a handful for other teams to deal with. I would think one more widebody 747 on defense and one good sized forward up front to stand in front of the opposing crease-and we may be starting to have flashbacks to the mid 80's. If everyone show up next year-JL, Higgs, Tinordi etc-I really think we will have an offense that other teams will have big trouble trying to stop. I dont expect us to be held to under 3 goals all that often.
        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
          Absolutely! I have never said every member of the team needs to be big-but I am still a great believer in Newton's Laws. Big bodies move small bodies out of the way. I think Luke is going to be a handful for other teams to deal with. I would think one more widebody 747 on defense and one good sized forward up front to stand in front of the opposing crease-and we may be starting to have flashbacks to the mid 80's. If everyone show up next year-JL, Higgs, Tinordi etc-I really think we will have an offense that other teams will have big trouble trying to stop. I dont expect us to be held to under 3 goals all that often.
          I'm really optimistic about Tinordi. It seems like he made huge strides in his skill play this year (much more than Justin Smith did before he arrived); I don't think it's too far-fetched to imagine he could fill in a winger spot one of the top two lines as protection for the big guns.

Comment

Originally posted by knsmith View Post
            I'm really optimistic about Tinordi. It seems like he made huge strides in his skill play this year (much more than Justin Smith did before he arrived); I don't think it's too far-fetched to imagine he could fill in a winger spot one of the top two lines as protection for the big guns.
            I see it the same way-I think he has flown under the radar with everyone all agog about his younger brother. I suspect he will be a very welcome upside surprise. And he has the size to be a force in front.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
              You can't talk about the CU - U game without mentioning that Union entered the Cornell game having played their collective ###sses off the weekend before, playing the equivalent of nearly four games in three nights, entering the finals at the TUC. IMO, Union lost to CU because they made fatigue-type mistakes and spent half the game in the box. Even with that it was a 1-0 game for nearly 2 periods. Cornell scored 2 PPG's and an ENG vs. Union.

As for CU, as Doc D has long advocated, its not only strength, but size. You can have a kid who is five 5'10 and strong as a horse...but he won't be any match for a kid who is 6'3 and strong as a horse.

That said, I think RPI made significant strides in S&C this year and expect another step forward next season. Seth knows he needs a few behemoths to enroll (HELLO, B.R.O!!!!) !!!!), and he's working on it... 'til then, we're gonna take our lumps against certain teams.

Wicked, you make an excellent point regarding Union being fatigued. However,The problem as I see it is that a cornell forward of ordinary hockey height always seems stronger in every way on the ice than players on other teams of comparable height. I agree that RPI has made progress with regards to stamina and muscle but there is still plenty of room for improvement. I too am looking forward to RPI having more forwards next year that are bigger than what we had this year. The sad truth this year was that when the refs didn`t protect the players (seldom}we had few guys on the team that could or would step up and police the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by jstadts View Post
                ....The sad truth this year was that when the refs didn`t protect the players (seldom}we had few guys on the team that could or would step up and police the situation.
                Sadly, this I agree with completely. We can hope that next year between Leboeuf, Bailen and hopefully B.R.O...we will have a different mindset on the blueline. IIRC, we were the 2nd most penalized team in the league this year, but it sure wasn't due to our defencemen slamming guys in front of our net.
                ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Today is 25 March 2010. There are 197 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 8 October for the start of next season.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

To all the bedwetters out there with unrealistic expectations, Denver coach George Gwozdecky tells Ken Schott about the job he thinks his former assistant Seth Appert is doing.

Take note on what Gwoz has to say about half way through. Gee... Where have we heard all this before?
                    R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
                      To all the bedwetters out there with unrealistic expectations, Denver coach George Gwozdecky tells Ken Schott about the job he thinks his former assistant Seth Appert is doing.

Take note on what Gwoz has to say about half way through. Gee... Where have we heard all this before?
                      Gwoz doesn't know jack. So what if he's a two-time Penrose winner (and a nominee again this year)?
                      Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post

Nice interview, it is nice to hear that Apert is still leaning on guys like Gwoz and Rico. Two coaches that have taken their teams to the finals of the tournament.
                        Our time is getting very close.
                        Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                        Benjamin Franklin
                        The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                        Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                          Nice interview, it is nice to hear that Apert is still leaning on guys like Gwoz and Rico. Two coaches that have taken their teams to the finals of the tournament.
                          Our time is getting very close.
                          Agree-anyone know when coach SA's contract comes up for renewal? If i were the administration I sure would be looking to lock him up for an extended time period.

Comment

Agree-anyone know when coach SA's contract comes up for renewal? If i were the administration I sure would be looking to lock him up for an extended time period.
                            I think it's either the end of next year or the year after that his contract is up for renewal; I can't remember whether the extension was for 2 or 3 years.

Comment

From Appert's profile on the RPI Athletics page (http://www.rpiathletics.com/coaches.aspx?rc=471):

During the summer of 2007, Appert signed a contract extension through 2011-12.
                              Proud founder of the First Church of RPI Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by hawthr View Post
                                From Appert's profile on the RPI Athletics page (http://www.rpiathletics.com/coaches.aspx?rc=471):

During the summer of 2007, Appert signed a contract extension through 2011-12.
                                Thanks for the info-I guess we still have some time then.

Comment

Working...
                                X