X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Off-Season Thread 2010 -- The Calm Before the Storm

Originally posted by Havasu M View Post
    Back from the Diet pepsi times onion kknick area. Atlantic City had representatives at a table giving out what to do in AC info, ticket applications, and salt water taffy. I got a ticket application but their was no address to send mail it in. I mentioned it to the staff they wrote it on the back for me. Big oops. During the games the announcer referred to the info booth and was booed every time. It got to be almost like last minute of play and Clarkson....Pretty funny. Games were kind of boring low scoring. StL dominated Union in the third but somehow managed to loose. I might just go to AC to see RPI and meet DR D!
    Come on down-I expect us to be the number 1 seed We are already planning on dinner at the Ram s Head Inn in Absecon about 8 miles out of AC. I think this year we got a lot of the kinks worked out.
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by knsmith View Post
      I feel like we've heard that same story with guys like Laliberte before (see, e.g., Brad Tapper, Ornelas) and it never seems to pan out. As you've said in the past, it really is for the best for the player to not get drafted rather than get picked in the 6th or 7th round.
      Unquestionable that it worked out for Brad Tapper. He was supposedly slated to be picked by Toronto in a middle to late round-it never happened. He had a good 2 years at RPI and an absolutely phenomenal scoring year in his Junior year-7 teams came calling and several offerred him the maximum to sign. He would have had to be crazy not to take the money and risk injury in a 4th year. His entire financial future was secured-something that would not have happened had he been drafted earlier. I would never say that this is the norm but it certainly worked out for Tapper.
      Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Did anyone else that saw the Cornell vs Union game this past weekend think that RPI and the rest of the league are freaking light years behind Cornell in strength and conditioning? Cornell looks stronger and has more jump now than they did earlier in the year. The exact opposite of everyone else. .They are not only physically imposing but their strength over their sticks is also impressive. I hope the RPI staff and players took notice. SA had better lock the guys in the weight room and only let them out to run. I think Schaeffer schedules and coaches more for peeking in march than mid february. I hope SA is done with playing so many early season OOC games all over the country in October and November with minimal practice. This years team looked as tired coming down the stretch as Rachel Alexandra did two weeks back.
        Last edited by jstadts; 03-22-2010, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jstadts View Post
          Did anyone else that saw the Cornell vs Union game this past weekend think that RPI and the rest of the league are freaking light years behind Cornell in strength and conditioning? Cornell looks stronger and has more jump now than they did earlier in the year. The exact opposite of everyone else. .They are not only physically imposing but their strength over their sticks is also impressive. I hope the RPI staff and players took notice. SA had better lock the guys in the weight room and only let them out to run. I think Schaeffer schedules and coaches more for peeking in march than mid february. I hope SA is done with playing so many early season OOC games all over the country in October and November with minimal practice. This years team looked as tired coming down the stretch as Rachel Alexander did two weeks back.

Great observation about the stick strength, noticed this as well. Also noticed how well Union broke up Cornell passes, 2 on 1's, they backchecked very well. Could have been worse than 3-0. Both teams looked very well conditioned.

And I stlll believe in Rachel Alexendra!

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08
            Inaugural award? I almost want to call this the "Ken's p'd off that Trabucco didn't make first team so I'm going to make my own" Award, and a bunch of other broadcasters decided to follow suit.
            Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
            If you did it'd be pretty much slander.
            FlagDUDE - That's a huge fail. Huge, huge, huge fail.
            R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

Did anyone else that saw the Cornell vs Union game this past weekend think that RPI and the rest of the league are freaking light years behind Cornell in strength and conditioning? Cornell looks stronger and has more jump now than they did earlier in the year. The exact opposite of everyone else. .They are not only physically imposing but their strength over their sticks is also impressive. I hope the RPI staff and players took notice. SA had better lock the guys in the weight room and only let them out to run. I think Schaeffer schedules and coaches more for peeking in march than mid february. I hope SA is done with playing so many early season OOC games all over the country in October and November with minimal practice. This years team looked as tired coming down the stretch as Rachel Alexandra did two weeks back.
              I think we all agree that peaking in March is crucial to a teams post season success. Finding the formula for a team is an art and that just may be the missing link to the sudden end to RPI's season this year. The talent was there-especially when you look at how well they did against the teams they played now in the National Tournament. You are right-they looked tired in the stretch-physically and emotionally- and the whys need to be reveiwed. There are some teams that always peak at this time of the year-next year we need to be one of them.

Comment

Today is 23 March 2010. There are 199 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 8 October for the start of next season.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I agree with your observation about Cornell. They play the regular season to get ready to win the ECACs and get to the NCAA Tournament.

I don't think this year's team looked tired. There was something else missing. Down the stretch they were unable to make a run. They played a good game, then lost a stinker. There was a lot of talent on the ice, but they never put it all together for long stretches.
                  Last edited by Jasma; 03-23-2010, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
                    FlagDUDE - That's a huge fail. Huge, huge, huge fail.
                    Hence why, in post #412, I said that it is best to retract my statement. The statement had absolutely no factual basis whatsoever, and was completely and utterly untrue. The reporter in question is very credible, and is a terrific asset to Capital District College Hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                      Hence why, in post #412, I said that it is best to retract my statement. The statement had absolutely no factual basis whatsoever, and was completely and utterly untrue. The reporter in question is very credible, and is a terrific asset to Capital District College Hockey.
                      It probably wouldn't have hurt to just eat some crow and go back and delete the post.
                      R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Jasma View Post
                        I agree with your observation about Cornell. They play the regular season to get ready to win the ECACs and get to the NCAA Tournament.

I don't think this year's team looked tired. There was something else missing. Down the stretch they were unable to make a run. They played a good game, then lost a stinker. There was a lot of talent on the ice, but they never put it all together for long stretches.
                        RPI has had some difficulty in the past with remaining consistent in the later parts of the season. We've almost always been able to make a good statement out of conference, but then let it go when the regular season comes along. Obviously this year our issue was the games were good, ****, good, ****, good, ****.

As Herb Brooks said (paraphrasing), you can have as much talent as you want, but if you can take that talent and put it towards the betterment of the team, you have a championship team. I think that's probably what Coach Schafer does. I'm not saying that we don't, though. However I think that's why Cornell does so well year in and year out, yet usually only their goaltender, MAYBE a defensemen and forward, makes the all-league team.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                          RPI has had some difficulty in the past with remaining consistent in the later parts of the season. We've almost always been able to make a good statement out of conference, but then let it go when the regular season comes along. Obviously this year our issue was the games were good, ****, good, ****, good, ****.

As Herb Brooks said (paraphrasing), you can have as much talent as you want, but if you can take that talent and put it towards the betterment of the team, you have a championship team. I think that's probably what Coach Schafer does. I'm not saying that we don't, though. However I think that's why Cornell does so well year in and year out, yet usually only their goaltender, MAYBE a defensemen and forward, makes the all-league team.
                          The system Cornell plays is perfectly suited for playoff hockey just like the NJ Devils the most successful team in the last 20 years but to be honest with you I'll take our style or Yale's style all day.If I God forbid ever ended up living in Ithaca you would have to put a gun to my head to go watch that sh*t fest every week.It should be noted that the fans in NJ enjoy it so much you can buy tickets @ game time on certain week days for $2.00 and walk in and pick youyr seat. GO SETH ! GO RED !
                          What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Did anyone else that saw the Cornell vs Union game this past weekend think that RPI and the rest of the league are freaking light years behind Cornell in strength and conditioning? Cornell looks stronger and has more jump now than they did earlier in the year.
                            You can't talk about the CU - U game without mentioning that Union entered the Cornell game having played their collective ###sses off the weekend before, playing the equivalent of nearly four games in three nights, entering the finals at the TUC. IMO, Union lost to CU because they made fatigue-type mistakes and spent half the game in the box. Even with that it was a 1-0 game for nearly 2 periods. Cornell scored 2 PPG's and an ENG vs. Union.

As for CU, as Doc D has long advocated, its not only strength, but size. You can have a kid who is five 5'10 and strong as a horse...but he won't be any match for a kid who is 6'3 and strong as a horse.

That said, I think RPI made significant strides in S&C this year and expect another step forward next season. Seth knows he needs a few behemoths to enroll (HELLO, B.R.O!!!!) !!!!), and he's working on it... 'til then, we're gonna take our lumps against certain teams.
                            ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Today is 24 March 2010. There are 198 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 8 October for the start of next season.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

There is a half-page article in the 3/29/10 Hockey News about Jerry D'Amigo.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X