CCHA Second Round: Alaska @ NMU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CCHA Second Round: Alaska @ NMU

As a fan base, we pretty much suck at trash talking. There are only a few regulars on the board, and not that we're a "mature" group or anything, but when alcohol and drugs are mentioned many of us are thinking “rubbing” and “Aleve.” Plus, history has not been kind to the braggarts of our group.

Sure, we occasionally have our buttons pushed, but you don’t know what it’s like it to have some obnoxious, in-state, rival fan base, whose team generally sucks, espousing the superiority of their conference, always yapping away.

I understand the Nooks left tonight, so they should get to Marquette with plenty of time to adjust. It’s not like there’re not used to it. No excuses. No surprises. Whoever works the hardest and executes their systems the best will most likely prevail.

Here’s to a well played, injury free series. And don’t forget what they say about the law of averages. Oh, and I almost forgot,...NMU sucks. There, take that.

Go Nooks!

Comment

Originally posted by AnchorsAway View Post
      Olver the top forward in the CCHA? If you are talking talent wise, then I hope that is a joke.. I'll take Camper, Wingels,Miele, Palmer, Dalpe, Tropp and Caporusso over Olver every day of the week...he's a nice player don't get me wrong but the only reason he's leading the CCHA in scoring is because he's a puck hog.......Should be a good series but I'd be quite surprised if Alaska wasn't heading to the Motown the following weekend.
      Puck hog? If he's such a "puck hog," then how did he put up more assists than any of the players you mention? In fact, he led the CCHA in ASSISTS!

Just because your guys couldn't take the puck away, doesn't make him a puck hog.
      Last edited by davyd83; 03-09-2010, 04:57 AM.
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Olver the top forward in the CCHA? If you are talking talent wise, then I hope that is a joke.. I'll take Camper, Wingels,Miele, Palmer, Dalpe, Tropp and Caporusso over Olver every day of the week...he's a nice player don't get me wrong but the only reason he's leading the CCHA in scoring is because he's a puck hog.......Should be a good series but I'd be quite surprised if Alaska wasn't heading to the Motown the following weekend.
        Whats That? I cant hear you from the dark Taffy arena. I must have missed you on your fall but NMU was too busy working on fourth place. Wasnt Lake State in fourth at one point? Hmm. From the looks of it, you could have used that offense from Olver. What was it? Only scored two goals last weekend against Michigan? But I mean, you beat Canisius twice this year. You can go hang your hat on that one.

Its too bad Mahoney-Wilson wasnt a puck hog Bigger holes than Swiss Cheese, that little Sieve, but you cant expect much from a Community College.
        Last edited by NMU8405; 03-08-2010, 11:35 PM.
        Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
        1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
        1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
        2006-2007: 15-24-2
        2007-2008: 20-20-4
        2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
          Sure, we occasionally have our buttons pushed, but you don’t know what it’s like it to have some obnoxious, in-state, rival fan base, whose team generally sucks, espousing the superiority of their conference, always yapping away.

i hate when nmu and uaf face each other, mainly cuz i want both in the final game. oh well, go cats! and if nmu loses, go nooks!
          hey ref! woop woop woop!

*warning* i'm a cynical, sarcastic, narcissistic, paranoid, insecure, overly defensive, napoleonic, insultive, emotionally and mentally unstable, brash, insensitive, apathetic, vulgar, egotistical, humourless, arrogant, passive aggressive ex-band nerd...may be hazardous to others.
          *disclaimer* this is not a band endorsed post and signature.

Originally posted by MeanEgirl
          You are the BEST NMU FAN EVER!

Comment

Originally posted by sweet canadian mullet View Post

i hate when nmu and uaf face each other, mainly cuz i want both in the final game. oh well, go cats! and if nmu loses, go nooks!
            Go Cats? What the hell, I thought at one point you cheered for UAF, or at least a player on the UAF squad (I can't remember for sure who, but I'm going to take a blind guess that it was Curtis Fraser).

I actually agree with you, if there is any team other than UAF that I enjoy seeing do well it is Northern Michigan. I'm really not sure why I like them over Lake State, Ferris State or UNO, but I do, it might simply be that they have been more successfuly on a regular basis than those other schools so seem a more likely challenger to the Michigans and Michigan States. There seem to be some similarties in remote northern communities (one a little more so than the other : ) and in their respective rivalries with bottom tier WCHA teams.

I do wonder if UAF beats NMU this weekend and NMU misses the NCAA tournament again what Billy Blanks will have to say about the Cats head coach.

UAF fans seem very Canadian in our lack of ability to trash talk, but it is good for BB to at least try to provide us some fodder to get angry about if we are too pragmatic and apologetic in our attempts to contradict his outlook.
            Last edited by richl49; 03-09-2010, 01:27 AM.

Comment

NMU fans just need to think back to when UAF upset us in the opening game in Detroit. That was just a weird game and a horrible loss. Granted it was great for their program, but it just ruined my whole trip.

NMU does have one more advantage, Alaska can't get fired up by that terrorist polar bear in their opening video if they are on the road.

Plus I'll be going to see my only games in Marquette of the season this weekend, so that can't hurt.
              Embrace the hate.

Comment

I don't know if anyone else in the Marquette area has noticed, but the athletic department is doing a **** fine job (which is a very rare thing) of promoting this series. I think we could see the Berry at capacity for this series. For those out of the area, here is a summary of what I've seen the AD do to support this assertion.

-Selling tickets to students both in the MP and in the Starbucks area
                -Radio, TV, and newspaper advertisements
                -Posters in academic halls and residence halls
                -Posters in community areas
                -A few more I can't think of because it's early

Let's pack the Berry and make it to the NCAA's and the Joe! Go Cats!
                Wildcat Hockey!

B.S. NMU 11'
                M.B.A. Marquette University 13'

Comment

I think something bears saying here, and if I'm repeating an earlier post, I apologize. But these teams have met four times already this season, and the Nanooks have yet to win a single game. The Wildcats have played in every type of game, even trailing by two goals in the third period, and they refuse to go down. Not only are is the UAF team winless against the 'Cats this year, when the series came to Marquette, they never even led. Through 125 minutes of play, the 'Nooks didn't lead for a single one of them. I've got to think that Walt Kyle has had things mostly figured out, at least on the defensive front. Should be a good series, but I think the 'Cats will take it.

Comment

Originally posted by NMU8405 View Post
                    Whats That? I cant hear you from the dark Taffy arena. I must have missed you on your fall but NMU was too busy working on fourth place. Wasnt Lake State in fourth at one point? Hmm. From the looks of it, you could have used that offense from Olver. What was it? Only scored two goals last weekend against Michigan? But I mean, you beat Canisius twice this year. You can go hang your hat on that one.

Its too bad Mahoney-Wilson wasnt a puck hog Bigger holes than Swiss Cheese, that little Sieve, but you cant expect much from a Community College.
                    I'm not saying Olver is a shi**y player or that I wouldn't like to have him on my team... all I'm saying is that a lot of the time "he tries to do it all himself" an exact quote that has been used by your fans on your own thread to describe him, so it's not like I'm the first person to suggest it..... the bottom line is that he is simply not as talented as the players that were mentioned...he has more points than those players because they have other cream of the crop offensive weapons on their team as well and are counted on quite so heavily like Olver is...he's a good player but you people act like he is some superstar...but you never know, maybe he will prove me wrong and have a very successful pro career....in the ECHL

Yea Lake State tanked, but we finished where we were expected to at the beginning of the season....your program was expected to be an NCAA tourney team was it not? Barring a miracle those dreams will be washed down the drain yet again...you know what the difference is between a team that finished shi**y and missed the tournament and a team that finished strong but missed the tournament?? Absolutely nothing

One more thing, isn't it embarrassing that a "community college" still has more national championships and successful pro alumni than such an established university like yourselves??

Comment

Originally posted by northwindsports View Post
                      I think something bears saying here...
                      I must respond to your hairball analysis (I stuck with the tongue-in-cheek opening line theme). Of course, as the Wildcats know, putting it altogether at the right time is what counts. If you count OT as a period, then the Cats out-shot the Nooks only 4 times out of 15 periods this season. Noteworthy is that the Nooks outshot the Cats 7-1 in OTs. So a team with those stats who have developed the ability to finish down the stretch could be dangerous. With eighteen underclassmen, sometimes it takes just a little more time to turn the corner.

But it won’t be easy, the Nooks are going up against the second hardest working team in hockey. See, I can write a worthless analysis too.

Go Nooks!

Comment

I'm not saying Olver is a shi**y player or that I wouldn't like to have him on my team... all I'm saying is that a lot of the time "he tries to do it all himself" an exact quote that has been used by your fans on your own thread to describe him, so it's not like I'm the first person to suggest it..... the bottom line is that he is simply not as talented as the players that were mentioned...he has more points than those players because they have other cream of the crop offensive weapons on their team as well and are counted on quite so heavily like Olver is...he's a good player but you people act like he is some superstar...but you never know, maybe he will prove me wrong and have a very successful pro career....in the ECHL

Yea Lake State tanked, but we finished where we were expected to at the beginning of the season....your program was expected to be an NCAA tourney team was it not? Barring a miracle those dreams will be washed down the drain yet again...you know what the difference is between a team that finished shi**y and missed the tournament and a team that finished strong but missed the tournament?? Absolutely nothing

One more thing, isn't it embarrassing that a "community college" still has more national championships and successful pro alumni than such an established university like yourselves??
                        He must have some decent offensive weapons around him to be able to lead the CCHA in assists (overall scoring)!
                        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Quoting boot_walt_kyle and BB doesnt help your case
                          Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
                          1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
                          1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
                          2006-2007: 15-24-2
                          2007-2008: 20-20-4
                          2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Blanks View Post
                            That's my job! Alaska is the enemy as far as I'm concerned and I will show them no mercy. :-)

NMU holds a huge advantage here, HOME ICE. Discount that all you want and say that these teams are evenly matched, blah, blah, blah. NMU is VERY GOOD at home and Alaska is extremely average to below average on the road.

Sweep.

With this kind of analysis I see why you wanted Walt Kyle out, you are obviously the next guy in line.

This is the same petty logic that I went through with other Miami fans before we played UNO. UNO didn't play stiffling competition before coming to oxford but managed to give Miami 1 of only 5 losses on the year. Their is a lot to be said at this level for confidence and playing well at the right time, which both these teams are. To discount anything Alaska has done recently is completely ignorant. But then again Billy's tremendous track record speaks for itself.

he is, after all, super human since he can get a great feel for home ice advantage all the way in Arizona.....
                            Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Originally posted by nmu_27 View Post
                              NMU fans just need to think back to when UAF upset us in the opening game in Detroit. That was just a weird game and a horrible loss. Granted it was great for their program, but it just ruined my whole trip.

NMU does have one more advantage, Alaska can't get fired up by that terrorist polar bear in their opening video if they are on the road.

Plus I'll be going to see my only games in Marquette of the season this weekend, so that can't hurt.
                              Wasn't that when they played in the play in game on thursday? I think I remember that game, it was wacky.

And yes that Polar Bear is very disturbing lol.
                              Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                                He must have some decent offensive weapons around him to be able to lead the CCHA in assists (overall scoring)!
                                I never said he didn't have decent weapons... just not cream of the crop, decent was a very appropriate word choice however, as NMU finished 6th out of 12 in goals scored in the CCHA.

Comment

Working...
                                X