Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: FORE! WCHA First Round - Michigan Tech at Denver

Originally posted by Bagman View Post
    Rangers were good for two periods Eli is out. Looks like the next gathering of the Slaz clan at DU will be in 2017.That should be when Dan's son Ryan begins his Pio hockey career at DU.
    That sucks. I was looking forward to seeing Steve and Dan.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
      Was he the guy who always wore a cowboy hat?
      Yep.

Comment

I don't remember Hacksaw. I do remember that the goal judges back in the '70s were "Shorty" and George Congrave.
        DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
          I haven't seen one. His name was Jim (forget his last name, now), but his nickname was "Hacksaw" and that was how everyone I knew referred to him. He had leg braces from childhood polio and one time got threatened by a former player, who's name he would mispronounce, who said that if it continued he would wait in the parking lot and hacksaw his leg braces off. He was the announcer at DU games for 25 or so years, from around the early 70s or mid 70s till about when Magness opened.

My dad (scorekeeper), Carl Kurth (former timekeeper and current home penalty box guy) and Hacksaw were the 3 guys who ran and did all the official stuff at the old barn. Hacksaw worked at a liquor store for his regular job and would bring in beer in his briefcase. They would pour their beers into Pepsi cups so as not to be noticed for drinking during the games (they self-imposed a 2 beer limit each for the games).

Just some trivial reminiscing....
          Jim Little. Little's Liquors.
          sigpic Eight. ....with a design on nine.

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
            I don't remember Hacksaw. I do remember that the goal judges back in the '70s were "Shorty" and George Congrave.
            He was kind of a strange dude. I'm not exactly sure when the nickname took hold. Steve Souchiray (or however you spelled it ) was the PA who took over him. Was "Shorty" Ron Scholls (again, spelling)? No one forgets meeting George....

Comment

Originally posted by A Shot and a Goal View Post
              On Downing and a couple blocks south of Evans? Something like that...

Comment

He was kind of a strange dude. I'm not exactly sure when the nickname took hold. Steve Souchiray (or however you spelled it ) was the PA who took over him. Was "Shorty" Ron Scholls (again, spelling)? No one forgets meeting George....
                Not sure, I always knew him just as "Shorty". He was only around the rink on game days. Steve Soucheray was one of the penalty box attendants when I was there. He was in the old single penalty box when the infamous BU/MN fight broke out in the NCAA semi-finals.

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by A Shot and a Goal View Post
                  Hold on!! It was "Dancing Don" as we called him due to his limp. We we had no concept in those days of being "correct". His name is Don and he worked for Jim Little at "Little's' Liquor" on the corner of Downing and Iliff. He wore a cowboy hat and was frankly kind of a pain in the ***. I knew it!! We (my brethren) called him "Dancing Don" which now I consider very mean and inappropriate, but we were young and times were different. Don, if you are reading this, I apologize.
                  "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
                  Tom Serratore

Comment

Well, I'm off for Alaska early tomorrow morning, so if I don't see all of you in the score thread, someone continue the tradition:

******* width="425" height="344">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q16KpquGsIc&hl=en_US&fs=1&">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q16KpquGsIc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">
                    Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

• Re: FORE! WCHA First Round - Michigan Tech at Denver

Well, I conferred with Mrs Jimbo and she confirmed that there was a Jim and a Don who announced at DU, but was unsure of the exact lineage. Jimbo would have been the one to set this all straight. Sooooo much DU knowledge went away when he passed ....

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                        Well, I'm off for Alaska early tomorrow morning, so if I don't see all of you in the score thread, someone continue the tradition:
                        Good luck in your new endeavor

Comment

Well, I conferred with Mrs Jimbo and she confirmed that there was a Jim and a Don who announced at DU, but was unsure of the exact lineage. Jimbo would have been the one to set this all straight. Sooooo much DU knowledge went away when he passed ....

Maybe Old Pio can remember because he was up in the broadcast booth.

Comment

The guy who did PA in the Arena when I was there was an instructor in the Mass Comm department--I had him for a class--and his name is right on the tip of my tongue. Mel something. edit: Muchnik. Mel Muchnik. Wow, that card just dropped into the reader out of the blue!

All of this stuff and much more would belong in a history of DU hockey. Too bad there isn't one in the works as part of the 60 Anniversary. It's never too late, of course, but Jimbo would have been an invaluable resource for all of these behind the scenes reminicences.
                            Last edited by Old Pio; 03-11-2010, 10:03 PM.
                            2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

I'll talk to Carl at the game tomorrow. He'll have some knowledgeable insight on this, as he was basically the sole clock operator from '74 or '75 till about 5 years ago when he was moved to a penalty box.

Anyways, GO DU!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post

******* width="425" height="344">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q16KpquGsIc&hl=en_US&fs=1&">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q16KpquGsIc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">
                                Believe it or not Twitch, they have the internet in Alaska. DU fan, Duper, is teaching up there.
                                Good Luck!
                                GO DU !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X