PDA

View Full Version : FORE! WCHA First Round - Michigan Tech at Denver

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11

Shirtless Guy
03-13-2010, 05:23 PM
Why give this jo clown any respect? He doesn't give any himself. And he certainly doesn't deserve any.

You sit here an give my team no respect, talk about win totals and act like your team in entitled to something. I choose not to give any to you because you're acting like a jo clown yourself.

DenverGoldJersey
03-13-2010, 05:27 PM
Well, I'm going to go watch the MN state championship game, at the X, with 19,000 other people. Denver fans, have fun at your half full, deathly silent morgue of an arena. :rolleyes:

haha you have seen through our bold strategy to take tech to the morgue

Old Pio
03-13-2010, 05:29 PM
Yeah that's it...just keep looking at the record, like I said before, you and I don't play the games but keep focusing on that when we talk about who's had a larger impact. It's fans like you that give programs bad reputations.

Take my advice junior, when you're at the bottom of a hole, stop digging. DG has done more for DU than any fan I can think of, and everybody who posts here knows it, except you. Personally, I wish we had a thousand just like him.

Old Pio
03-13-2010, 05:33 PM
You sit here an give my team no respect, talk about win totals and act like your team in entitled to something. I choose not to give any to you because you're acting like a jo clown yourself.

Earth to moron: I haven't mentioned MTU's record here or ever on this thread. Check back. I'm the guy who has said repeatedly that I miss the Huskies being competitive. And that I wish they could turn the corner. And I'm the guy who actually met John McInnes once. But none of that matters when you've got your lactile glands in a wringer. So knock yourself out, knowing that everyone who posts here knows what an infantile jerk you are.

Old Pio
03-13-2010, 05:36 PM
Well, I'm going to go watch the MN state championship game, at the X, with 19,000 other people. Denver fans, have fun at your half full, deathly silent morgue of an arena. :rolleyes:

A twofer: you'll get to see some great hockey and vastly expand your social circle at the same time.

manurespreader
03-13-2010, 05:42 PM
Let me join the chorus and suggest (politely) that you're talking through your hat. Any comparison of attendance that matches DU against Michigan is fatally flawed and terribly unfair. So you think there is more to do in Denver than Detroit, au contraire my friend. A2 has a lot to do and on any given night the Hockey team has to compete every bit as hard as dU does for fans. yes the student body is a lot bigger, But there is definitely equivalent entertainment, and the students are into academics not athletics for the most part You certainly don't mean to suggest there's equivalence between the entertainment opportunities in Denver and Ann Arbor. Do you? If so, your argument is immediately exposed as without merit.No it's not! There IS no comparison between Denver and Ann Arbor in this regard. I assume you have never been to Ann Arbor sir. And how big is the Michigan student body? 35K, 40K? Many times larger than the DU student body. And has been pointed out, many DU students are gone on Spring break (DU is on quarters, not semesters, one of the really attractive things about the place). ok, good point. Further, whoever came up with the idea of conference playoffs in whatever sport should be roasting in hell. From DU's perspective, we've won the conference title, what's the point of the vaunted "Final 5" anyway, except to make money for the WCHA and give regular season losers another bite at the apple and justify tournament bids and higher seedings? I was at the WCHA playoff in 1970 I think at UW when Tech lost to a poor bottom team and ended up out of the finals, so yeah the playoffs are a risk for the top teams but they have been around for a while so arguing this is kind of moot And no offense to our friends from the UP, a matchup of #1 against #10 is not calculated to get people's adrenaline flowing, especially when they played a regular season matchup so recently.True

DU has a hockey base at most of, say, 6-7 thousand. And those folks have been mighty loyal over the years, considering how generally awful our teams and facilities were in the years between Murray Armstrong and George Gwozdecky. In the old days, DU hockey was THE winter sport in Denver. No NHL, no NBA, the Broncos sucked (and were in the AFL) anybody who was anybody showed up at our games (mayors, governors, candidates, business leaders etc.). Those days are long gone and DU has to fight like the dickens to get any recognition from the Denver media. That long dark period when DU dropped down to D-II certainly didn't help in that regard (even though hockey remained D-I).

DU has never generated the kind of student support that a Big Ten school does, and never will. But we can and should do better. Some of our DU posters (DG and Puck Swami particularly) have worked very hard to improve the overall intensity at DU home games (return of a pep band, encouraging students to learn and sing the fight song and last week's very successful White Out are some examples of the progress that's been made). So we're taking small steps in the right direction.I think all of us on this forum are doing what we can to foster fan interest in our respective schools

You may wish to categorize the forgoing as "excuses," but those are the realities DU faces everyday in a very sophisticated market with the world's best skiing just a short drive away (historically DU professors have been loath to schedule tests on Fridays during ski season because, well, nobody will be there).everyone faces handicaps, try the air service to Houghton.

This windy exegesis is predicated on the assumption that you're ignorant of these matters, rather than malicious. If I'm in error, then go bleep yourself.
that would be difficult

Old Pio
03-13-2010, 05:48 PM
that would be difficult

There certainly is a lot more to do. . . . . .in Detroit. Watch city officials past and present do the perp walk. . .dodge bullets. . .watch the infrastructure crumble. . .watch businesses move out of town and out of state. . .trip over the bodies. Yup, lots of recreational choices in Detroit.
How foolish of me not to consider them.

manurespreader
03-13-2010, 05:59 PM
There certainly is a lot more to do. . . . . .in Detroit. Watch city officials past and present do the perp walk. . .dodge bullets. . .watch the infrastructure crumble. . .watch businesses move out of town and out of state. . .trip over the bodies. Yup, lots of recreational choices in Detroit.
How foolish of me not to consider them.
If you are trying to draw me into insulting you it won't work.

Old Pio
03-13-2010, 06:01 PM
If you are trying to draw me into insulting you it won't work.

Your ignorant post is insult enough. Did I say anything untrue about Detroit? Didn't Ms Conyers (whose husband has been an insult to the country for decades) just withdraw her guilty plea yesterday to avoid about three years in the pen? You must be so proud. Take the tourists around to see her.

FadeToBlack&Gold
03-13-2010, 06:20 PM
There are times when I just despise D1 threads - this is one of those times. Grow up children. :rolleyes:

So glad I have other things to do, so I'm just giving a shoutout to Tech before I head out for the night. Hope you've all enjoyed making fools of yourselves.

Old Pio
03-13-2010, 06:29 PM
There are times when I just despise D1 threads - this is one of those times. Grow up children. :rolleyes:

So glad I have other things to do, so I'm just giving a shoutout to Tech before I head out for the night. Hope you've all enjoyed making fools of yourselves.

Oh rub it in: "I've got a life." :D

Puck Swami
03-13-2010, 06:32 PM
I will agree that Denver hockey does deserve more fervent fan support then it often gets. But please remember that more than 50% of Coloradoans and more than 60% of Denver students did not grow up in the state, so the level of lifelong attachment between fans and school that you normally find in the East and in the midwest simply isn't there. They move here and they stay attached to the hometown team where they came from. The 1,000 UND fans that show up here aren't travel fans - they already live here in Colorado. Then you add the fact that DU is a private school makes it hard to get locals as involved since they can't relate to affluence. Then add in the other sports and entertainment available here, and you suddenly realize that getting 92% is pretty good.

Every college team in Colorado has a hard time filling their arenas with fervent fan support. CU, CSU, AFA, DU, CC all have trouble getting their arenas to be loud because fans here are so spoiled in terms of what to do and who to cheer for.

FadeToBlack&Gold
03-13-2010, 11:35 PM
Nice series there DU. Good luck in the playoffs.

Puck Swami
03-13-2010, 11:55 PM
I was really impressed with Tech and how hard they played without some of their best players. They pretty much owned DU in the first period, before Colborne started getting angry in the second period. Once Big Joe got fired up, he gave the Pios the emotion they were missing and really sparked the win with his shorty late in the second.

Denver got the job done.

A Shot and a Goal
03-13-2010, 11:56 PM
Nice series there DU. Good luck in the playoffs.

Fade, I just listened to Coach GG on his post-game show and he spent the first threee or four minutes talking about what a terrific job Jamie Russell and his staff over the last third of the season when Tech was buried in last place. Gwoz talked about how Tech competed hard, played smart, played clean and didn't use the adversity of injuries as an excuse to just quit. Gwoz thinks Tech's last third of this season will springboard it to a strong start to the 2010-2011 season.

Tech played well and hard this weekend. Denver had its hands full. Depth and talent won the day for Denver. Good luck to Tech next year.

On to the Xcel Center for the Pioneers. :)

du78
03-13-2010, 11:59 PM
Gwoz with huge props to MTU and Jamie for playing hard all weekend and never giving up. He said most teams in their position, with their top players out, would throw in the towel. He said that MTU played well in the last third of the season and should use this series as springboard to early season success next year. He knows they have good recruits coming in and he expects them to be a much better team over the whole season.

He said DU didn't show up for the 1st period and finally got it going in the 2nd. DU made mistakes again which cost them goals especially MTU's 3rd goal when DU coughed up the puck on their goal line by trying to be too fancy and not getting the puck out of the zone. He is looking forward to the Final Five as it is a great tournament.

MagnessMan
03-14-2010, 12:27 AM
Tech played us very tough the last four games of the season. Held our strong PP to 0-12 in the last three. I thought it was very professional of Gwoz to talk about how well they carried themselves at the end of the season and how they'll use that as a springboard next year.

OMG! The officiating was awful tonight, Campion and that other clown were just pitiful. I heard the commissioner on the pre-game driving in and he sounded like a complete idiot. It's no wonder the WCHA refs suck so bad.

It was an exciting weekend of CH around the country. I so hope the Gophers can knock off the girls tomorrow night.

huskyfan
03-14-2010, 11:00 AM
thank you all for passing on Gwoz's comments. little things (a kind word) mean alot when you've been down as long as we have. Good Luck in the playoffs. With Chevy in net I think your going to get along just fine.

Old Pio
03-14-2010, 02:41 PM
For long stretches this weekend it was difficult to figure out who was the #1 seed and who was #10. The Huskies played well and as usual Chevy made some big saves to keep DU in the games. It's got to hurt for a program with the proud traditions of MTU to be in this position. Believe me when I say I know how Tech fans feel. For the most part, the '80's and 90's were a tutorial on failure for us. Heck, we almost lost the university during that period, never mind the hockey team.

Younger Tech fans may not realize that John McInnes had a goalie rotation with Tony Esposito--the guy didn't play every night! So one Saturday night I interviewed Tony between periods after he'd lost the night before. A complete gentleman, funny and informative. Anyway, IMO, college hockey needs for Tech to be competitive and I hope it happens sooner rather than later. Good luck down the road.

Shirtless Guy
03-14-2010, 05:16 PM
For long stretches this weekend it was difficult to figure out who was the #1 seed and who was #10. The Huskies played well and as usual Chevy made some big saves to keep DU in the games. It's got to hurt for a program with the proud traditions of MTU to be in this position. Believe me when I say I know how Tech fans feel. For the most part, the '80's and 90's were a tutorial on failure for us. Heck, we almost lost the university during that period, never mind the hockey team.

Younger Tech fans may not realize that John McInnes had a goalie rotation with Tony Esposito--the guy didn't play every night! So one Saturday night I interviewed Tony between periods after he'd lost the night before. A complete gentleman, funny and informative. Anyway, IMO, college hockey needs for Tech to be competitive and I hope it happens sooner rather than later. Good luck down the road.Thanks for the kind words Old Pio, and I do apologize for early (sort of). I certainly felt like MTU was turning the corner with the playoff win against CC a few years back but since then the curve has gone the wrong way...hopefully the positives seen in 2010 will continue into next season and this team can catch some breaks, stay healthy for once and compete for home ice sooner, rather than later.

As much as I have appreciated Russell and his efforts over his 7 years, his leash must be pretty short after the last 2 years. I don't see him being fired this offseason but If next year starts very poorly or goes as bad as this year, he is more than likely done with 2 years left on his current deal.