X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WCHA First Round: MN @ UND

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
    True. However it has never been mentioned to my recollection that the Gophers have never won a post season game there. Frank was talking up that fact quite a bit this time. Maybe exposing the jinx is enough to break it.

That being said, I regrettably expect the Sue to win in 3 just to break the jinx and give us all hope for one day.
    While "jinx" like that one are always amusing sidenotes to games or series, I'm fairly certain those prior losses, all but one of which occurred prior to 1988, IIRC, will have limited impact on the current gopher players.

I still say it will be a toss up series. UND is a little healthier than they were when the teams played in Mpls. but not as healthy as when the teams last played in Grand Forks.

Normally, home ice would be a significant factor, and is certainly the most favorable condition for the Sioux this weekend. But there are some mitigating circumstances. First, the home ice advantage in the playoffs is usually muted, somewhat, by the fact that higher playoff ticket prices sometimes keeps students away who might otherwise attend a regular season game.

Next, I think UND goes on spring break this weekend, so many students may already be out of town. Also, it's a rivalry series, and home ice in rivalry series tends to have a less significant impact.

Finally, Minnesota has a very good record in the first round of the WCHA playoffs, at home or on the road. I think they've only missed the Final Four/Five one time in the 20+ seasons it's been played.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
      True. However it has never been mentioned to my recollection that the Gophers have never won a post season game there. Frank was talking up that fact quite a bit this time. Maybe exposing the jinx is enough to break it.

That being said, I regrettably expect the Sue to win in 3 just to break the jinx and give us all hope for one day.
      I believe that statistic is a little misleading though. Considering those games were all played at the Old REA. Though if you want to count the Holy Cross game at the new REA...

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
        Why will what's plagued the Gophers all season suddenly be no problem? This team has had repeated opportunities to improve their position and repeated failed to come out with intensity. Didn't matter if it was a rival or a nobody, they've come and played flat or stupid or uninspired hockey (you pick the adjective). I see no reason to expect a turnaround now.
        and that's the straight truth, right there...
        License to kill gofers...From the government of the United Nations. - Carl Spackler, Caddyshack

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
          Minnesota has a very good record in the first round of the WCHA playoffs, at home or on the road.
          Except, as you must have already read, in Grand Forks.

Comment

What is the over/under on the amount of snowmobile DWI's that will be given out after the game Friday night?

Oh my bad, I forgot your cops in GF will look the other way for the Sue players and fans....or was it the "jury of their peers" that looked the other way... or both, I forget.

We'll just go with a safe estimate of 95% of drivers over the legal limit; and we'll say 0 DWI's given out...that sounds about right. good times.

Comment

Don't be silly, Grand Forks isn't St. Cloud. No one drives their snowmobile to games.

Sioux in One
              Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
              when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
              Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by RinkPig View Post
                What is the over/under on the amount of snowmobile DWI's that will be given out after the game Friday night?

Oh my bad, I forgot your cops in GF will look the other way for the Sue players and fans....or was it the "jury of their peers" that looked the other way... or both, I forget.

We'll just go with a safe estimate of 95% of drivers over the legal limit; and we'll say 0 DWI's given out...that sounds about right. good times.
                well......here are the stats and they favor ND: http://www.drinkinganddriving.org/

Your dumb-lashing sounds more like you have a case of "my team sucks and isn't going to make a single tournament this year."
                "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
                Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
                The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
                Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                  Don't be silly, Grand Forks isn't St. Cloud. No one drives their snowmobile to games.

Sioux in One
                  Dogsleds?

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                  And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                  Twenty red lights in his honor
                  Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
                    Dogsleds?
                    Riding lawnmowers

Sioux in One
                    Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                    when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                    Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                      Riding lawnmowers

Sioux in One
                      Good choice, much harder to throw.

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
                        Good choice, much harder to throw.
                        Dogsleds are harder to throw than one thinks....very awkward.
                        Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                        Originally posted by Quizmire
                        mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                        MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                        MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                        I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

I think MN has been on the road just three times in the first round since the F5 came into being:
                          @ Duluth: lost - the only time MN didn't make the F5
                          @ CC: won
                          @ MSU-M: won

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                            Dogsleds are harder to throw than one thinks....very awkward.
                            Most likely because the dogs get mad & try to bite you.

Comment

This thread has been so . . . rational and civil for a Sioux/Gopher thread. Gives me the creeps--it's just not natural.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                                This thread has been so . . . rational and civil for a Sioux/Gopher thread. Gives me the creeps--it's just not natural.
                                Get bent.

Comment

Working...
                                X