Coaching change needed???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coaching change needed???

At what point does a school re-evaluate whether their coaching staff is the right fit for the long term success and development of the program and more importantly the players?

Should be at the top of the list: Robert Morris University
    RMU just finished their 5th season. The numbers should speak for themselves:
    09-10 Overall: 11-24-1 Season win %: 30%
    Conf: 3-12-1 Conf win %: 18%

08-09 Overall: 12-20-3 Season win %: 34%
    Conf: 5-9-2 Conf win %: 31%

07-08 Overall: 12-22-1 Season win %: 34%
    Conf: 2-11-0 Conf win %: 15%

06-07 Overall: 11-22-2 Season win %: 31%
    Conf: 1-11-0 Conf win %: 8%

05-06 Overall: 5-24-2 Season win %: 16%
    Conf: 2-10-1 Conf win %: 15%

The first year stats look like a first year team stats. After that, there is some improvement considering more players have come in and the players develop as a team, but then everything becomes purely stagnant.
    -Head Coach Nate Handrahan has not led the team to more than 12 wins in a season
    -They have never achieved a winning season; overall or in conference play
    -This year, the first official year without the inaugural class; all players were the recruits of Handrahan, the team’s performance DROPPED

In comparison within the CHA conference:
    -Syracuse, only in its second year as a program, made it to the CHA finals and had an above .500 season. RMU only beat them once out of 4 games this year.
    -Niagara, in their first year with a new coach this year, went from a 6-25-5 record last year to 12-14-5. RMU only beat them once out of 4 games this year.
    Looking just at numbers, the RMU program has not grown in 4 years. The past 4 years only 1 thing has changed in the team; the players.

Re: Coaching change needed???

Uhhh... the nonconference schedule has gotten progressively tougher.

You can post all the records you want, but fact is RMU beat UMD, Wisconsin, and RPI this year. And RMU beat Minnesota last season. I don't think you will find anyone on this board who thinks RMU has been stagnant.

Yes, the rest of the CHA has gotten better faster (i.e. Niagara & Syracuse this season). I'll agree with that point.

Comment

Yeah and both Syracuse and Niagra (not positive if both men’s and women’s teams are given the same #, so maybe not Niagra) have 18 scholarships to give out, the NCAA max. The number of scholarships RMU is able to give out is in the single digits or not much higher. So being stagnant is probably more difficult in that league than you’d think. But reading the poster above, it doesn’t seem like stagnant is entirely the word to be used here.

Unless you have scandals, an inarguable decline in records or an endless line of disgruntled players and parents you won’t get very much support on this forum. Even if you have all three you still won’t get this forum behind you, just look at the brown threads.

Comment

Originally posted by hcky85 View Post
        Yeah and both Syracuse and Niagra (not positive if both men’s and women’s teams are given the same #, so maybe not Niagra) have 18 scholarships to give out, the NCAA max. The number of scholarships RMU is able to give out is in the single digits or not much higher. So being stagnant is probably more difficult in that league than you’d think. But reading the poster above, it doesn’t seem like stagnant is entirely the word to be used here.

Unless you have scandals, an inarguable decline in records or an endless line of disgruntled players and parents you won’t get very much support on this forum. Even if you have all three you still won’t get this forum behind you, just look at the brown threads.
        Geez you are now starting here as well.
        I can tell you that one of the current RMU recruits is a real steal. She makes that program better in a hurry and will light up the lamp.
        Last edited by OnMAA; 03-12-2010, 09:33 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
          Geez you are now starting here as well.
          I can tell you that one of the current RMU recruits is a real steel. She makes that program better in a hurry and will light up the lamp.

Haha guilty. I was just trying to be some what informative while giving hocktalk90 a heads up at the same time.

Comment

Maybe they should have aseperate section to post all the fire the coach threads. Make em easier to find.

Comment

I hate the idea of spreading rumors...but I have heard some ummm..."goofy" stories from a highly reputable source about some things have happened at RMU over the past couple of seasons. I say reputable source, and yet I guess it's still third person. For that reason I don't feel comfortable going into detail, but if the stories I have heard are true then yes....RMU should most certainly be taking a look at what's going on.
              Toe Blake On goalies: "You get four goals off them, or five, but the goal you've got to have to win, somehow the great ones don't let you get it.”

Comment

Originally posted by dave1381 View Post
                Uhhh... the nonconference schedule has gotten progressively tougher.

Yes, the rest of the CHA has gotten better faster (i.e. Niagara & Syracuse this season). I'll agree with that point.

I think women's hockey has improved to the point were some stars of a few years ago would be average players today.
                Not all coaches have kept up, others don't have the resources.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockey Fan101 View Post
                  Not all coaches have kept up, others don't have the resources.
                  I agree, especially in regards to the number of scholarships available. I was thinking that this is one of the reasons BU has improved each season (finishing 6th, 5th, 3rd [tie], 3rd, 2nd [tie]) and winning the Hockey East Tournament.

I am interesting in knowing how many each school has available, is that information published somewhere?

Sean
                  Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                  Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                  BU Hockey highlights and extras
                  NCAA Hockey Financials
                  Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                  I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by IceIsNice View Post
                    I hate the idea of spreading rumors...but I have heard some ummm..."goofy" stories from a highly reputable source about some things have happened at RMU over the past couple of seasons. I say reputable source, and yet I guess it's still third person. For that reason I don't feel comfortable going into detail, but if the stories I have heard are true then yes....RMU should most certainly be taking a look at what's going on.
                    So instead of going into detail, you do this instead? If you won't go into detail, then please think carefully about posting something like this. I know nothing about RMU, its hockey program, or even the name of their coach, and quite frankly I couldn't care less about them. But upon reading your post, it naturally makes me think that you are alluding to some sort of sexual misconduct. How many others are "filling in the blanks" with their own ideas of what it is you mean?

Please, that's not fair to the coach or to the players. If you have something to share, then share it. If not, then it's probably best to not say anything at all.

Comment

Originally posted by IceIsNice View Post
                      You're kidding, right? No way RMU coaching deserves any scrutiny unless you wholeheartedly support the same standards for the Brown Women's staff. Please!

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                        I agree, especially in regards to the number of scholarships available. I was thinking that this is one of the reasons BU has improved each season (finishing 6th, 5th, 3rd [tie], 3rd, 2nd [tie]) and winning the Hockey East Tournament.

I am interesting in knowing how many each school has available, is that information published somewhere?

Sean

I don't think this information is published anywhere but it is certainly a factor, especially with the non-state schools.

As far as Hockey East goes, I know for sure that PC is not fully funded but I don't know how many scholarships they have. I thought I read that Maine also might not be fully funded but I could be making that up.

Comment

I would also argue that "fully funded" is a somewhat loaded term and goes well beyond the scholarships that are or aren't available for a particular program...

Comment

Originally posted by WIrinkrat View Post
                            I would also argue that "fully funded" is a somewhat loaded term and goes well beyond the scholarships that are or aren't available for a particular program...
                            I agree, however, scholarships are easier to quantify and, I think, tend to reflect on the overall funding of a program.

Sean
                            Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                            Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                            BU Hockey highlights and extras
                            NCAA Hockey Financials
                            Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                            I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Anyone can play the smear game. Let's just try this purely hypothetical example:

I hate the idea of spreading rumors...but I have heard some ummm..."goofy" stories from a highly reputable source about some things that have happened at NiceIsIce's workplace over the past couple of seasons. I say reputable source, and yet I guess it's still third person. For that reason I don't feel comfortable going into detail, but if the stories I have heard are true then yes....NiceIsIce's employer should most certainly be taking a look at what's going on.

Se how easy it is!

Comment

Working...
                              X