D3 Transfers to D1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D3 Transfers to D1

Would this be possible at our day and age with hockey development?
    Hockey has changed dramatically over the past five years that some women playing at the D3 level have potential to transfer/walk on at a D1 level. Would the be feasible for these young women to do? or would it be too our of reach for them with the differences of speed, talent, and intensity of the game?

Re: D3 Transfers to D1

A another example of this is Kirsti Hakala. She started out with UMD but chose to go over to UWS in her junior year, presumably to get more play time to aid in her development. She was able to finish up her college career by joining the UMD squad this year again. She's been a solid contributor and it's clear she grew.

I give her a lot of props for making a tough decision to leave a D1 spot so that she could grow more with guaranteed ice time.

Comment

I think there are probably players that play D1 that would be a better fit for D3. And I think there are D3 players who could definitely hold their own in D1. The top players in D3 could skate D1. That is just saying they could be on a D1 level team, not implying they will have a huge effect on that team though. Who knows..

There is obviously a difference between the two levels of hockey but I don't think it is all that cut and dry. You can't say "anyone playing D3 couldn't handle D1" or the opposite, "anyone playing D1 would dominate D3". These statements are only true, IMO, if you are considering the extreme examples.

I am only considering skill level alone. Obviously a lot more goes into the decision - The team(s) who recruit a player may decide to go another direction only because that program wants a different type of player. So, this girl obviously has the ability to skate D1 but that school or schools who looked at her chose another path, not because of skill but the direction of that program. Just a tough break for that player if she wanted to play D1

On the other hand, maybe a player knows she can play D1 and is recruited by some teams but she wants to have more of an impact on a team and wants to make sure she gets plenty of ice time. Then, it is just a personal decision by that player to go D3 and not necessarily the case of her skill not being up to par.

So many different factors go into it but I guess I feel the are a number of "fringe players" that could go D1 or D3. These players arent always heavily recruited by D1 so if the D1 school they were being considered for decides to pass, then they may naturally end up in a D3 program.

There is no exact science in any of this so the result is a mix of players who could go D1 or D3.

Comment

Originally posted by JONESTEST View Post
        On the other hand, maybe a player knows she can play D1 and is recruited by some teams but she wants to have more of an impact on a team and wants to make sure she gets plenty of ice time. Then, it is just a personal decision by that player to go D3 and not necessarily the case of her skill not being up to par.
        Also the D3 school might be a better scholastic choice. I have found many women players look at far more then just their sport in picking a school. If their dream school is D3 but meets their academic needs they seem to go that direction many times. Hockey ends for the women. Its not as true on the men's side since they have dreams of playing somewhere for a while after school ends.
        Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

Kirsti Anderson played two years at Bowdoin (All-American as sophomore) and two solid years at Dartmouth (she was their second-leading scoring D as a senior in 04-05).

Comment

Melanie Salatino did it from Superior to Mankato. I think now they have to sit a year though.
            UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
            NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
            Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

Erica Owczarczak played for RIT last year and played in 28 games for Niagara this year (2g 7a, 26pim).

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by just_a_fan View Post
                A another example of this is Kirsti Hakala. She started out with UMD but chose to go over to UWS in her junior year, presumably to get more play time to aid in her development. She was able to finish up her college career by joining the UMD squad this year again. She's been a solid contributor and it's clear she grew.

I give her a lot of props for making a tough decision to leave a D1 spot so that she could grow more with guaranteed ice time.
                I really hope Coach Miller did not suggest to her to,"go play JV for season, that way you can play everyday and get stronger and be more prepared for next year."

D-III schools should not be feeder programs, or JV's for D-I schools.

Comment

There have always been plenty of D3 players who could have played D1, many of whom made their decisions for academic reasons or because they could also play one or two other sports, which is almost impossible at the D1 level, since the D1 hockey season is so much longer.

Comment

I am sure there are plenty of girls out there, past, present and future, who may have had the hockey skills to play D1 but did not or do not have the academics to be admitted into certain D1 schools. Years ago my daughter and I attended a panel discussion presented by D1 and D3 coaches and athletic directors and one message resonated throughout the discussion. It was "you can be the best hockey player in the world but if you don't get accepted to the university, it doesn't matter how good you are". Academics first, hockey second.
                    "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard"

Comment

Originally posted by THE Icemom View Post
                      I am sure there are plenty of girls out there, past, present and future, who may have had the hockey skills to play D1 but did not or do not have the academics to be admitted into certain D1 schools. Years ago my daughter and I attended a panel discussion presented by D1 and D3 coaches and athletic directors and one message resonated throughout the discussion. It was "you can be the best hockey player in the world but if you don't get accepted to the university, it doesn't matter how good you are". Academics first, hockey second.
                      Well said, Mom.
                      "Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese." - Joon

Comment

I've known several players that surely could have played D-I hockey that went D-III for the academics specifically. Many excellent learning institutions out there that are D-III. Nothing wrong with that at all.
                        Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Working...
                        X