PDA

View Full Version : 2009-10 Hockey East Postseason Awards

Bergey1
03-03-2010, 03:48 PM
There was some discussion in the Tourney thread about this, so I thought I'd post a new thread for discussion/results. The conference has announced the All-Rookie Team and some individual awards.

Women's Hockey East All-Rookie Team:
G: Brittany Ott, Maine
D: Blake Bolden, Boston College
F: Brittany Esposito, Northeastern *
F: Jill Cardella, Boston University*
F: Kristina Lavoie, New Hampshire*
F: Ashley Motherwell, Boston College
* = unanimous

Bauer Goaltending Champion:
Florence Schelling, Northeastern

Humboldt Storage and Moving Scoring Champion:
Micaela Long, New Hampshire

Gladiator Hockey Best Defensive Forward:
Jennifer Chaisson, Connecticut

I'm really surprised about Schelling being goaltending champ. I thought it was lowest conference GAA, which Garcia has. Garcia also played more minutes. But I digress.

Thoughts and more predictions?

ETA: The rest of the awards will be announced on Friday evening at the Banquet.

DC78-82
03-03-2010, 04:28 PM
Interesting that they went with 4 forwards and 1 D on the All-Rookie Team. Puts a twist on the conventional speculation. Congrats so far.

I thought the Goaltending Award was awarded by GAA as well. Breaking the mould again.

DC78-82
03-03-2010, 04:37 PM
I just checked the HE site, and I don't see Best Defensive forward named there, but I do see:
Connecticut senior Cristin Allen (Pickering, Ont.) was also named the league’s first recipient of the Best Defenseman Award.

Hard to argue with that choice, but I do wish Birchard hadn't been injured (for far more reasons than this:) )

Bergey1
03-03-2010, 04:51 PM
My thinking is that maybe they weighted SV% as well, which would give Flo the edge, or they put it to a vote this year instead of just the numbers. Who knows (but I'm obviously happy Flo did get it).

I got the best defensive forward thing off the Northeastern website so I don't know if it's a typo? Or maybe one of the awards not supposed to be announced until Friday? ;)

As for the All-Rookie team, there hasn't really been a set number in the past couple of years. 2 years ago there were 2 goalies and 1 D. Last year there were 2 G and 2 D, so maybe for the Rookies they don't keep it to strictly positional numbers.

ARM
03-03-2010, 04:53 PM
I thought it was lowest conference GAA...Lowest GAA is usually a measure of team defense, while a strong goalie on a weaker team still has a chance to lead in save percentage. I think Save % is what the WCHA has used for as long as they've had the goaltending champ.

Bergey1
03-03-2010, 05:00 PM
Lowest GAA is usually a measure of team defense, while a strong goalie on a weaker team still has a chance to lead in save percentage. I think Save % is what the WCHA has used for as long as they've had the goaltending champ.
Yes but in previous releases they specifically reference lowest conference GAA so I was curious. It would certainly make sense to take SV% into account.

Sean Pickett
03-03-2010, 07:03 PM
Yes but in previous releases they specifically reference lowest conference GAA so I was curious. It would certainly make sense to take SV% into account.The league stopped using conference GAA for the men last season and changed to voting on it, if I understood what I was told correctly. It appears that this change also applies to the women and will now be used for selecting the winner, barring further changes.

Sean

UNHKazooMonkey
03-03-2010, 09:24 PM
There was some discussion in the Tourney thread about this, so I thought I'd post a new thread for discussion/results. The conference has announced the All-Rookie Team and some individual awards.

Women's Hockey East All-Rookie Team:
G: Brittany Ott, Maine
D: Blake Bolden, Boston College
F: Brittany Esposito, Northeastern *
F: Jill Cardella, Boston University*
F: Kristina Lavoie, New Hampshire*
F: Ashley Motherwell, Boston College
* = unanimous

I was one person off. :cool: I had seen in previous years that they had gone with 4 forwards and one d but i went with a normal hockey team scenario.

DC78-82
03-04-2010, 08:40 AM
I was one person off. :cool: I had seen in previous years that they had gone with 4 forwards and one d but i went with a normal hockey team scenario.

There were a number of really strong rookies across the league this year. You could fill a couple of All-Rookie Teams with little trouble.

joegrav
03-04-2010, 12:53 PM
Going with 4 forwards + 1 offensive defenseman on the all-rookie team goes to show how defensive d-men are undervalued. Makes me think that the people voting on these things just look at a stat sheet and don't necessarily watch all of the games.

I'm a big fan of Bolden, but she struggled a bit this year, especially early on, as she was often too anxious to jump in on offense - creating problems on the defensive end. She's extremely talented and is going to be a great BC player for four years, but Dru Burns may have been more consistent than Bolden was defensively this year (and this is not even considering people on other teams).

Bergey1
03-05-2010, 07:03 PM
Women's Hockey East Award Winners:

Coach of the Year: Bob Deraney, Providence
Pure Hockey Co-Players of the Year: Florence Schelling, Northeastern; Kelly Paton, New Hampshire
Bauer Rookie of the Year: Kristina Lavoie, New Hampshire
Sportsmanship Award: Kasey Boucher, Boston University
Three Stars Award: Kelly Paton, New Hampshire
Best Defenseman: Cristin Allen, Connecticut
Gladiator Hockey Best Defensive Forward: Jennifer Chaisson, Connecticut
Bauer Goaltending Champion: Florence Schelling, Northeastern
Humboldt Storage and Moving Scoring Champion: Micaela Long, New Hampshire

First Team WHEA All-Stars:
G: Florence Schelling, Northeastern *
D: Cristin Allen, Connecticut *
D: Courtney Birchard, New Hampshire
F: Micaela Long, New Hampshire
F: Kelly Paton, New Hampshire *
F: Ashley Cottrell, Providence

Second Team WHEA All-Stars:
G: Genevieve Lacasse, Providence
D: Tara Watchorn, Boston University
D: Amber Yung, Providence
F: Melissa Anderson, Boston University
F: Jean O'Neill, Providence
F: Allie Thunstrom, Boston College

WHEA Honorable Mention:
G: Alexandra Garcia, Connecticut
D: Kasey Boucher, Boston University
D: Jody Sydor, Connecticut
F: Kristina Lavoie, New Hampshire
F: Alyse Ruff, Providence
F: Monique Weber, Connecticut

scrambledlegs
03-05-2010, 08:30 PM
Women's Hockey East Award Winners:

Coach of the Year: Bob Deraney, Providence
Pure Hockey Co-Players of the Year: Florence Schelling, Northeastern; Kelly Paton, New Hampshire
Bauer Rookie of the Year: Kristina Lavoie, New Hampshire
Sportsmanship Award: Kasey Boucher, Boston University
Three Stars Award: Kelly Paton, New Hampshire
Best Defenseman: Cristin Allen, Connecticut
Gladiator Hockey Best Defensive Forward: Jennifer Chaisson, Connecticut
Bauer Goaltending Champion: Florence Schelling, Northeastern
Humboldt Storage and Moving Scoring Champion: Micaela Long, New Hampshire

First Team WHEA All-Stars:
G: Florence Schelling, Northeastern *
D: Cristin Allen, Connecticut *
D: Courtney Birchard, New Hampshire
F: Micaela Long, New Hampshire