No announcement yet.

Western Michigan @ Alaska, March 5,6,?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Western Michigan @ Alaska, March 5,6,?

Seems like we should have a series thread for the playoffs.

The Nooks certainly shouldn’t be over confident in this one. They were lucky to take two out of six points during their visit to Lawson in early December. They were :14 seconds from dropping all six points.

Both teams have improved since the earlier matchup, and nothing indicates anything but two or three very close games. As is usually the case in the playoffs, it will probably come down to who has the hot goaltender and better special teams play. Gill can easily steal a series, but Greenham is no slouch.

Alaska is playing well right now, but WMU seems to be representing well, regardless of their record. Both teams want a chance to advance to the Joe. Alaska is looking to keep in the running in the Pairwise. The Broncos are looking for some respect in a trouble program right now. Not sure who has more motivation.

All I know is we need less of this (pics from last year)...
    *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2008-09-CCHA-Games/WMU-vs-UAF-Dec-2008/IMG8636/801498129_KhRsp-L.jpg******

*****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2008-09-CCHA-Games/WMU-vs-UAF-Dec-2008/IMG8637/801498243_yCaEf-L.jpg******

And more of this.
    *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2008-09-CCHA-Games/WMU-vs-UAF-Dec-2008/IMG8582/801497977_G2S7e-L.jpg******

Go Nooks!

Re: Western Michigan @ Alaska, March 5,6,?

Nanooks in 3. The big upset will be that the Broncos don't get swept.
    Bronco Hockey Blog

Comment

I would think the only concern for Alaska would be Gill. If Western play some team defense around him, then maybe. The NMU and Alaska matchup is so close that I would like to avoid them but the pairwise points would be nice too.
      GO CATS GO

JUST BEAT MICHIGAN BABY!

Ask me no questions and I will tell you no lies!

Comment

'Nooks should take this one but nothing is a given, especially against a team with a hot goalie. I also won't be surprised if we have an OT game.
        “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Alaska wins both nights 5 minutes and 15 seconds into overtime when 4 Western players leave the ice thinking that a shootout will occur, since they've been in three straight OT games.
          "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

It would be nice to see Culhane get a win before he's done, but let's be realistic.
            Let's Go Broncos!

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco View Post
              It would be nice to see Culhane get a win before he's done
              No it wouldn't.
              Bronco Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by moe24 View Post
                No it wouldn't.

Comment

God, Bronco, if they start winning games now, that's how much longer before the new guy can go redecorate the office. Plus, our AD is a woman, and as such, reserves the right to change her mind. A couple playoff wins and we're looking at a thirteen year contract extension and the possible suicide of every Bronco fan on this board.
                  "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                    God, Bronco, if they start winning games now, that's how much longer before the new guy can go redecorate the office. Plus, our AD is a woman, and as such, reserves the right to change her mind. A couple playoff wins and we're looking at a thirteen year contract extension and the possible suicide of every Bronco fan on this board.
                    Ha! Any word on who the new guy will be?

WMU's best chance to steal one is Friday, in my opinion. The 'Nooks are coming off an emotional high after finally taking back the Governor's Cup, so Western might be able to sneak up. But, Alaska has always been a very even keeled team under Coach Ferguson so hopefully that trait will come into effect this weekend.
                    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Now, now. I didn't say game(s). It would be typical Culhane if they won one then lost two in excruciatingly painful manners. So how about a win on Saturday and losses on Friday and Sunday both in OT giving up a shortie for the loss. I don't think they've lost by a shortie before.
                      Let's Go Broncos!

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                        Ha! Any word on who the new guy will be?
                        Doubt we'll hear anything for a few weeks yet. We're in a position where there is no need to rush (recruiting for 2010 is done), and some of the best candidates probably won't interview until their current season is done (which could be a month away yet for some of them).
                        Bronco Hockey Blog

Comment

I heard there is a big travel issue with Western, like they are stuck there until Tuesday regardless of the length of the series or something like that. Any truth to this rumor? That would be a rough way to spend the beginning of your off-season.
                          MICHIGAN STATE
                          1966:1986:2007

Comment

Originally posted by STATEdude3 View Post
                            I heard there is a big travel issue with Western, like they are stuck there until Tuesday regardless of the length of the series or something like that. Any truth to this rumor? That would be a rough way to spend the beginning of your off-season.
                            I think you're hearing a twisted version of the normal travel situation with Alaska. They booked their flights home for Monday (regardless of a Saturday or Sunday finish), and because it takes so many connections it'll be Tuesday morning before they actually get home. That's par for the course with Alaska travel, except with a Fri/Sat regular season series they would leave Sunday and not Monday.
                            Bronco Hockey Blog

Comment

Guys- want to chime in on this series if I may.

For me, outside of Lake and Mich, this is the most intriguing series. Gill played extremely well in oxford and looks like he played well last weekend. IMO he is the top goaltender in the league and going against a team ranked 38th in the nation in scoring could be an uphill battle. I wouldn't be surprised if this went 3 games but Alaska needs these bad for their tourny hopes.
                              Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Working...
                              X