No announcement yet.

Is It Time For Cc To Fire Scott Owens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is It Time For Cc To Fire Scott Owens?

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
    When you think about what CC has accomplished with who are they are (a tiny private liberal arts school), and and where they were in the early 90s (almost lost the program altogether) it's really kind of a miracle that that they consistently fall into the top 15-20 programs nationally every year, and ocassionally break into the top 5-10. Owens wins 55-60% of his games year in and year out which compares favorably to other WCHA coaches. His only real problem has been getting over the hump in the post season.

My take on CC is that they have good talent, but they wear down in the second half playing in the WCHA meatgrinder, which does this to a lot of teams. Why this happens more often with CC is something of mystery. It used to be that CC had a smaller team, which could explain some of it, but lately, they've recruited some larger players. It could be the weight room/training aspect. Or it could be the players tire of the coaching message or get worn down by the rigorous academics. The reality is that CC, as a school, is probably very happy with the highly competitive program they have. They draw very well, they graduate players, they make money and they beat schools 20 times larger they are each year. Some CC fans may not think that's enough, but in the broad scheme of things, CC has it much better than most programs. CC fans may want more post season success, but is that realistic when you are playing so many schools with the serious ambition and larger resources?
    Don't gorget CC came "this close" (two pipes ) away from winning the National Championship in "96 I think it was against Mich. I believe it was the speedy Jay McNeil who rang both pipes in OT. Here's a story for you CC faithful out there. Apparently, there was a CC player/alum in the crowd, of course I can't remember his name, began with an "M", anyway, in the 3rd overtime against Vermont to get to that game, the ice was melting, the players were exhausted and sweaty. This former player told them between the 2nd and 3rd overtime to change into dry Tee shirts. They did and they won the game. They came within centimeters of winning the whole enchilada the next game!!

Oh, and I am acutely aware Lucia was the coach back then. I'm just pointing out more evidence of the success of CC! And I don't think Owens should be fired!!
    Last edited by Dmann; 03-03-2010, 03:44 PM.
    "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
    Tom Serratore

Comment

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
      Don't gorget CC came "this close" (two pipes ) away from winning the National Championship in "96 I think it was against Mich. I believe it was the speedy Jay McNeil who rang both pipes in OT. !
      As I recall, it was CC's Eric Ruud (?) who hit the pipe against Michigan in 96.

Maybe a CC fan has a better memory!

Comment

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
        Don't gorget CC came "this close" (two pipes ) away from winning the National Championship in "96 I think it was against Mich. I believe it was the speedy Jay McNeil who rang both pipes in OT. Here's a story for you CC faithful out there. Apparently, there was a CC player/alum in the crowd, of course I can't remember his name, began with an "M", anyway, in the 3rd overtime against Vermont to get to that game, the ice was melting, the players were exhausted and sweaty. This former player told them between the 2nd and 3rd overtime to change into dry Tee shirts. They did and they won the game. They came within centimeters of winning the whole enchilada the next game!!

Oh, and I am acutely aware Lucia was the coach back then. I'm just pointing out more evidence of the success of CC! And I don't think Owens should be fired!!
        Bob Mancini Michigan Tech coach at the time and it was "underwear"

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
          As I recall, it was CC's Eric Ruud (?) who hit the pipe against Michigan in 96.

Maybe a CC fan has a better memory!
          Yep. It was Eric Rud with something like 10 minutes to go in the game. Would have made it 3-1 CC and I think they would have had it had it gone in.

Comment

Originally posted by ColoToot View Post
            Bob Mancini Michigan Tech coach at the time and it was "underwear"
            You are correct as well.

Comment

Originally posted by dave29 View Post
              Yep. It was Eric Rud with something like 10 minutes to go in the game. Would have made it 3-1 CC and I think they would have had it had it gone in.
              Yeah, Eric Rud. I swear, the more time passes, the farther into the game I think that was. I could have sworn the game was tied when it happened, but I trust your memory over mine by far. I didn't follow nearly as closely back then as I have over the past 10 years. So I'm sure you are correct, Dave. My memory just keeps making it worse and worse as the years go by.
              Colorado College Hockey: Finding new and creative ways to break your heart since 1957.
              -dggoddard

Comment

Originally posted by dave29 View Post
                As you can see, my memory is spotty at best, but I could have sworn it was for all the marbles. Either overtime, or late in the game for the win!!
                "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
                Tom Serratore

Comment

Originally posted by LackofSuCCess View Post
                  Once again CC has managed to virtually collapse in the second half of the season under the uninspired vision of Scotty Owens. Every year the excuses are the same: "Geeze I'm not sure why we didn't compete better" and "Gosh they're a pretty good team--it's a tough league" and "I'm not sure...we just weren't very good."

Even in their more successful seasons CC always finds a way to lay an egg come postseason time ESPECIALLY as of late.

1999-2000: Swept by Lou Chia and Goofers in WCHA playoffs at home
                  [Ughh...]

2000-2001: WCHA 3rd Place winner NCAA Quarterfinal Loss to Sioux
                  2001-2002: WCHA 3rd Place winner NCAA Quarterfinal Loss to Gophers
                  [I can live with these seasons]

2002-2003: WCHA 2nd Place NCAA Quarterfinal Loss to Michigan
                  [Note: Arguably the most talented team in the country that year. VERY disappointing loss.]

2003-2004: Upset eventual NCCA Champion Denver in 1st Round
                  Lost to UAA [Really?!?] in WCHA Final 5

2004-2005: 2nd WCHA Final Five
                  Frozen Four Appearance Butts kicked by DU
                  [All & all not a bad showing]

2005-2006: 1st Round WCHA home ice Loss to Saint Cloud
                  Still make NCAA tourney only to suffer 1st Round Loss to Cornell

2006-2007: 1st Round WCHA home ice Loss to Michigan Tech
                  Scored an impressive 3 goals in 3 games

2007-2008: 4th Place WCHA tournament
                  [Two uninspired losses to MN and UND]
                  Loss to Michigan State @ CSWA

2008-2009: 1st Round WCHA Home Loss to Duluth
                  [Asses handed to them both nights]

2009-2010: Trying not to think about it. At least the collapse started early
                  this year 12/30/09.
                  Yet another FINE playoff performance last night by Scotty's team at Duluth. Bottom Line: this guy doesn't get it done anymore.

Comment

Yet another FINE playoff performance last night by Scotty's team at Duluth. Bottom Line: this guy doesn't get it done anymore.
                    You are wrong DU alum!
                    World Arena North (aka Magness Arena on the campus of Denver State University) where the Colorado College Tigers are 17-11-5 all time against the Metro State Pioneers. Thank you Denver Roadrunners for building a second home for CC!!

World Arena North lives on!! Go Tigers!!

CC Tiger fans join us at: http://cctigerhockey.yuku.com

Comment

“We were a desperate team with a goal in sight of winning on the road and the guys gave it their extra all,” said Colorado College coach Scott Owens. “As bad as the last month has been for us, this is still a good team.”

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/recaps/20092010...#ixzz0i89JfgRg

Some might say this is a case of the lead inmate running the asylum. A GOOD team? He cannot be serious! CC was granted a reprieve tonight with their good effort sort of like a stay of execution before the switch is pulled for good tomorrow night.

Comment

Wow. just .02 from an outside observer but it seems to me Scott Owens has kept CC running well since Lucia left.

I mean, they do have NCCA problems like SCSU, however, you can say that about every team not named Wisconsin, Michigan, Minnesota, North Dakota, Boston College, Boston University, Maine, Michigan Tech, and Denver historically.

That still leaves CC better than about 50 teams in a 58 team field.
                        Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Bottom Line: I'm as sick of your dumb *** rants as I am of Glenn Beck's. Go play in traffic somewhere!

Comment

this is a thread? you got to be kidding? fire Owens? get the guy a decent haircut and carry on.
                            Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                            "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                            Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                            Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Once again CC has managed to virtually collapse in the second half of the season under the uninspired vision of Scotty Owens. Every year the excuses are the same: "Geeze I'm not sure why we didn't compete better" and "Gosh they're a pretty good team--it's a tough league" and "I'm not sure...we just weren't very good."

Even in their more successful seasons CC always finds a way to lay an egg come postseason time ESPECIALLY as of late.

1999-2000: Swept by Lou Chia and Goofers in WCHA playoffs at home
                              [Ughh...]

2000-2001: WCHA 3rd Place winner NCAA Quarterfinal Loss to Sioux
                              2001-2002: WCHA 3rd Place winner NCAA Quarterfinal Loss to Gophers
                              [I can live with these seasons]

2002-2003: WCHA 2nd Place NCAA Quarterfinal Loss to Michigan
                              [Note: Arguably the most talented team in the country that year. VERY disappointing loss.]

2003-2004: Upset eventual NCCA Champion Denver in 1st Round
                              Lost to UAA [Really?!?] in WCHA Final 5

2004-2005: 2nd WCHA Final Five
                              Frozen Four Appearance Butts kicked by DU
                              [All & all not a bad showing]

2005-2006: 1st Round WCHA home ice Loss to Saint Cloud
                              Still make NCAA tourney only to suffer 1st Round Loss to Cornell

2006-2007: 1st Round WCHA home ice Loss to Michigan Tech
                              Scored an impressive 3 goals in 3 games

2007-2008: 4th Place WCHA tournament
                              [Two uninspired losses to MN and UND]
                              Loss to Michigan State @ CSWA

2008-2009: 1st Round WCHA Home Loss to Duluth
                              [Asses handed to them both nights]

2009-2010: Trying not to think about it. At least the collapse started early
                              this year 12/30/09.
                              3-0 @ the End of Two Periods. For those of you keeping track in another 20 minutes that will be FOUR 1st round playoff losses in the last FIVE years. Face it: Scott Owens sucks as a coach.

I don't care who: Joe Bonnett, Frank Serratorre, Erc Rud a change HAS to be made. I know CC is comfortable with athletic mediocrity and WON'T fire him but they SHOULD.

Comment

3-0 @ the End of Two Periods. For those of you keeping track in another 20 minutes that will be FOUR 1st round playoff losses in the last FIVE years. Face it: Scott Owens sucks as a coach.

I don't care who: Joe Bonnett, Frank Serratorre, Erc Rud a change HAS to be made. I know CC is comfortable with athletic mediocrity and WON'T fire him but they SHOULD.

FIRE SCOTTY OWENS

Comment

Working...
                                X