NCAA vs. olympic money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA vs. olympic money

Has the NCAA lightened up or changed the rules on letting the Olympians keep the cash they get from winning a medal? What exactly is the gold, silver and bronze money prize. Is it different for each country?

Re: NCAA vs. olympic money

Originally posted by rinkrat890890 View Post
    Has the NCAA lightened up or changed the rules on letting the Olympians keep the cash they get from winning a medal?
    Not to my knowledge.

What exactly is the gold, silver and bronze money prize. Is it different for each country?
    Yes, the payment comes from that country's Olympic body, not from the IOC.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
      Not to my knowledge.

Yes, the payment comes from that country's Olympic body, not from the IOC.
      Canada doled out serious cash to all medal winners (I think it was 20K for Gold) as part of the own the podium program. Media reports indicated some Canadian athletes ( in other sports ) donated the medal winning award money to charities. In addition to performance awards, players on the National team are carded and would normally receive funds thru that channel. I'm sure they have all been well advised on how to manage it to ensure that they stay NCAA eligible.

http://www.ownthepodium2010.com/Fund...er_sports.aspx
      Last edited by OnMAA; 03-01-2010, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Has the NCAA lightened up or changed the rules on letting the Olympians keep the cash they get from winning a medal? What exactly is the gold, silver and bronze money prize. Is it different for each country?
        Don't the Kenyon runners get like a million dollars if they win gold?

I remember some country in the last summer olympics was offering a million if they won gold...eventhough a million in Kenya is just under 13,000 in America
        UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
        NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
        Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

Originally posted by gojackets View Post

I remember some country in the last summer olympics was offering a million if they won gold...eventhough a million in Kenya is just under 13,000 in America
          Many second tier runners from Kenya compete hard for one or two years on the NA road race circuit and then build their dream home/place back home. Off course second tier runners from Kenya still beat the pants of most Americans. Not uncommon to see 30 of the top 50 placings at an elite marathon in the US to be from Africa, with over 50% of those being from Kenya. Kenyan runners have won almost every Boston Marathon at the male side since the late 80's, and one year had all but one of the top ten placings, such is the depth of that countries long distance runners.

Unless this has changed in recent years, it is rare to see Kenyan's in the college ranks, so little impact in terms of NCAA repercussions.
          Last edited by OnMAA; 03-01-2010, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
            Many second tier runners from Kenya compete hard for one or two years on the NA road race circuit and then build their dream home/place back home. Off course second tier runners from Kenya still beat the pants of most Americans.
            How do they do against Canadian marathoners?
            Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
              Winter or summer? With or without snow shoes?
              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                Obviously it's hard to compete with the Canadians at home--the Kenyans don't have enough experience running across frozen tundra.

Comment

Originally posted by gojackets View Post
                  I assume that would be in Kenyan currency?

Here's the conversion....

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

1,000,000 Kenyan Shilling = 13,614.90 US Dollar

Big deal!
                  Toe Blake On goalies: "You get four goals off them, or five, but the goal you've got to have to win, somehow the great ones don't let you get it.”

Comment

Working...
                  X