Ecac East Playoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ecac East Playoffs

With all the talk about breaking up the interlock and possible changes in Eastern D3 hockey it is easy to get distracted from the playoffs. However Norwich will be hosting the Ecac East playoffs this weekend in Northfield and the last few games have attracted large crowds so the games this weekend should be very exciting. Babson, NEC, and Skidmore are all good teams but have been very inconsitent. I was looking at Babson schedule and they lost there last 4 regular season games before the playoff win over UMass Boston. Skidmore record over the last half of the year was poor but they beat Southern Maine in the playoffs. NEC is always tough at Norwich and has recent wins over Colby and Castleton. Does anyone know what to expect from any of these teams? Norwich has been very consistant this year and a number of injured players are back in the linup and WDEV reported that Emmund Bell could also play this weekend. If I had to guess I would predict a Norwich/Babson final but after watching the Canada/USA hockey game a hot goaltender can give any team a chance to win. Also does anyone want to comment on the dissapointing seasons of Castleton and Southern Maine? Most fans expected more from each team this year.
    2009-2010 Last Person Standing winner
    2009-2010 Interlock LPS winner

Re: Ecac East Playoffs

Originally posted by hawk View Post
    . Also does anyone want to comment on the dissapointing seasons of Castleton and Southern Maine? Most fans expected more from each team this year.
    Nope no comment from the USM side...I must say I am glad that Castleton lost last week though... Having seen all 4 teams at least once (NEC twice, and Skidmore twice): I must say it will be interesting: it a short tourney any team can win it...I kind of like NEC as a sleeper here...
    Last edited by hockeyfan77; 03-01-2010, 03:28 PM.

Comment

I've seen Skidmore and NEC play this year. Both teams have lots of talent but have been underachievers . If Skidmore can play with enthusiasm and high energy, they could be a sleeper. But it will be extremely tough for anyone to beat Norwich.

Comment

Originally posted by D3 Hockey is the Best View Post
        . But it will be extremely tough for anyone to beat Norwich.
        I agree, but in the past NEC has always been a tough opponent for Norwich in the ECAC Playoffs...Plus, Norwich plays (for the most part) pretty close games and if they don't get the bounces??? I still think Norwich will take this tourney but I don't think it's going to be a cakewalk...Skidmore will get screwed over by the refs: this is just a fact for some teams in the ECAC EAST...

Comment

Missed Norwich this year, but they will be tough to beat, although didn't Skidmore's goalie give them fits a few weeks ago? Babson is well coached and always in playoff games (see 2009). Who knows about NEC, saw them early and was not impressed, but who knows about the match-ups. I did see Skidmore twice (St. Anselm, UNE) and thought I was watching to completely different teams (how did they loose to UNE and then come back to beat Southern Maine on the road?).

As Castleton, they have to be disappointed. After a slow start to the season, they worked hard to get home ice and then got beat at home for the second straight year. You have to wonder what the problem is.

Comment

Originally posted by PSUC92 View Post

As Castleton, they have to be disappointed. After a slow start to the season, they worked hard to get home ice and then got beat at home for the second straight year. You have to wonder what the problem is.

No Comment...

Comment

Coaching will be the deciding factor; Norwich is light-years ahead of the rest. All of the players have the proven skills to win; the major question is whether they are used properly or not.
              NESCAC/ECAC-East Pick'em Champion 2009/2010

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyfan77 View Post
                I agree, but in the past NEC has always been a tough opponent for Norwich in the ECAC Playoffs...Plus, Norwich plays (for the most part) pretty close games and if they don't get the bounces??? I still think Norwich will take this tourney but I don't think it's going to be a cakewalk...Skidmore will get screwed over by the refs: this is just a fact for some teams in the ECAC EAST...
                Pretty close games?? Not for "the most part". So far this season 133 goals for and 37 goals against. But again, if the NEC goalie gets hot anything can happen. By the way 20 of their 21 wins this season have been by 2 or more goals.
                Last edited by rgorr; 03-01-2010, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by logger44444 View Post
                  Coaching will be the deciding factor; Norwich is light-years ahead of the rest. All of the players have the proven skills to win; the major question is whether they are used properly or not.
                  ummm, I think that the coaching situation was about the same last year wasn't it? There must be more to it than that, eh?
                  from behind the iron curtain...

Comment

Originally posted by rgorr View Post
                    Pretty close games?? Not for "the most part". So far this season 133 goals for and 37 goals against. But again, if the NEC goalie gets hot anything can happen. By the way 20 of their 21 wins this season have been by 2 or more goals.
                    Ok there smart ***...Norwich beat NEC 6-2: Skidmore 5-3 and tied Babson 3-3: those are the the teams in the tourney: that's pretty much what I was getting at ....You are the type of "fan" that gives Norwich a bad name: I thought most of them were gone form this board but there is always one lurking... Did my Pick'em picks upset you that much wonder boy...

By the way: Carragher should have been Player of the Year over Rick Cleaver(I Still would like justification on that one) ....
                    Last edited by hockeyfan77; 03-01-2010, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Just noticed that NEC's top 3 scorer's are all seniors, Alex Muse (34 points), Jeff Armando (25 points), and Mark Ehl (25 points). Compare that with Norwich where 2 out of the top 3 are Freshmen, Blake Forkey (36 points), Chad Anderson (Junior 35 points), Kyle Thomas (30 points). What I noticed when looking at the stats is Norwich has a lot more debth.
                      2009-2010 Last Person Standing winner
                      2009-2010 Interlock LPS winner

Comment

Skidmore has had a wildly inconsistent year but if they're on they could be dangerous. They beat NEC and Babson in the regular season, were tied with Middlebury and Norwich after 2 periods, were up by 1 on Amherst after two, lost to Trinity in OT and lost by 1 to Bowdoin. They generally come to play against the top teams (even if they haven't yet put together a successful third period when it's close against them). Goalie Andrew Ross has come on strong late in the season after returning to the net and can keep them in a game (see Norwich). I'm hoping that the latent scoring power that has been in evidence only a few times this year (against Castleton and NEC early on and Southern Maine in last weekend's playoff game) comes to the fore for the East tournament this weekend. So many good chances haven't gone in (two missed breakaways against Amherst, for example)—maybe it's time for some bounces . . .

Comment

All the playoff games will be broadcast live on Fast Hockey at a charge of $6.99. The games will also be broadcast live on Cadets Radio at no charge.
                          Cadet Crosby '63

Comment

Admitted this is indeed a short tournament and anything can happen.

That said, throughout the entire season the most serious "USCHOL thread chatter" about Norwich was that before each game there were always questions about which Cadet was the latest casualty reports. That was always followed by "post" from our fans wringing of hands with groans of doubt and anxiousness about how we would get through the next weekend without this player or that.

And of course in each game while sometimes firing one or two cylinders short--the Cadets kept getting the job done. In all but one game--those Cadets who did play, including the walking wounded, posted points in the ECAC standings.

I believe this weekend will be one of the first weekends where everyone (except one player lost early for the entire season) is healthy, fit and ready to play. Somehow I sense that now that all the cylinders are firing, the team has been tuned with up with their fast track style of play that has them scoring from every line and that is going to give them a wonderful edge regardless of which team they play. And just imagine any opposing coach telling their club (or most likely not telling them) that the Norwich team they are facing if finally at full strength and all healthy unlike the club they may have seen only a few weeks ago. Scary huh?

And finally, there is one other big edge. During the season, I spoke with a young hockey player who had played Norwich at Kreitzberg during an earlier ECAC playoff. He said the Cadet team they faced was superb--but the entire experience--the crowd, the Championship banners, etc. at the "Berg" was down right intimidating. In Northfield at the "Berg" maybe more than elsewhere--home ice does help

Can any thing happen in a short tourney? You bet. It happen last year--and we need no reminding of the UMB upset--but rather learn from it. And my money remains on Norwich to continue celebrating its 100 years of hockey in grand style.

ROLL CADETS! ROLL CADETS! ROLL!!
                            Last edited by Old Rook NU'66; 03-02-2010, 11:37 AM.
                            Old Rook NU'66--Roll On Cadets
                            Organized crime in America takes in over forty billion dollars a year and spends very little on office supplies.

Comment

Well said Old Rook. Lets pack the house Friday and Saturday to cheer the team on. It was a nice crowd this past Saturday and I am sure the team benefited from the energy coming from the stands.
                              There is no right way to do the wrong thing. Go Cadets

Comment

Working...
                              X