Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miac Over Looked League!

Wow,

What a finish to the regular season and what a start to the MIAC play-off. This league is under apprceciated and is flying under the National radar. I was at the OT thriller in St. Peter and could not believe the thrilling spectacle.

The Auggies were part of two amazing ot classic games and how they were able to even stand up right after both of these games is mind blowing.

The other semi-final was also a OT affair. Hamline is a solid team and the are out. The Tommies once again found a way to get into the final.

It is sad that this league only has 5 teams in the play-offs. The depth in this years MIAC was very good, and it would have been fun to see a full play-off set up.

Westscout

Re: Miac Over Looked League!

Originally posted by westscout View Post
    Wow,

What a finish to the regular season and what a start to the MIAC play-off. This league is under apprceciated and is flying under the National radar. I was at the OT thriller in St. Peter and could not believe the thrilling spectacle.

The Auggies were part of two amazing ot classic games and how they were able to even stand up right after both of these games is mind blowing.

The other semi-final was also a OT affair. Hamline is a solid team and the are out. The Tommies once again found a way to get into the final.

It is sad that this league only has 5 teams in the play-offs. The depth in this years MIAC was very good, and it would have been fun to see a full play-off set up.

Westscout
    4 OTs in one game this weekend, and SIX OTs played by one team in one weekend. 'Twas impressive... except it got trumped this weekend by the RPI @ Quinnipiac ECAC-Women's QF series.

Game 1: RPI 2-1 in 2OT
    Game 2: RPI 1-0 in reg
    Game 3: RPI 2-1 in 5OT

That last one goes in the books as the longest women's game ever. And I just checked the record books, and at a whopping 144:32, it takes the record as the longest NCAA Ice Hockey game in any gender at any division.
    Plattsburgh CARDINALS
    SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
    ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
    NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
    NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
    NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
    NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

I'll comment in this thread more in depth once the Gustavus-Augsburg game finishes.

In all seriousness, I was impressed with the MIAC's depth overall. Gustavus, Hamline and St. Thomas are all pretty tough. Augsburg, Bethel, and St. Olaf are all solid.
      Still No Championships - R.I.P. 3/23/2008

"It's a great day to be great!" Greg Jennings 2/6/11

"I don't step on toes, LittleJohn, I step on necks!" - C. Norris

I've got the fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.

2008 D3 Poster of the Year
      2007 D3 Tournament of Posters Champion
      2005-2006 D3 Rookie Poster of the Year
      Boycotting that steaming pantload Relevant Radio since 10/25/06!

Comment

Originally posted by MW4Bucky&SNC View Post
        I'll comment in this thread more in depth once the Gustavus-Augsburg game finishes.
        Ha! Nice.

I'm looking forward to hitting up the MIAC title game on Wednesday. Atmosphere at Gustavus last year was incredible and I can't imagine it's going to be any different this time around.
        “You drive by some of these rinks in the winter and there isn't anybody out there. It's kind of sad, actually...Here it’s go to the rink, pay for your ice time and practice for an hour where we could just walk to the rink and skate for four hours if we wanted to...It was just a lot of fun. I wish I could go back and be eight years old for a couple days" -Neal Broten

2010-11 DIII Commitments
        19gp, (23-24-47), +27

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
          ...in any gender....
          OK, that's got me kind of curious now....

Comment

Originally posted by joeyc3402 View Post
            I wouldn't say "curious" is the right term. "Concerned" is more like it.
            FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by joeyc3402 View Post
              Originally posted by Hammer View Post
              I wouldn't say "curious" is the right term. "Concerned" is more like it.
              Okay, perhaps the better choice of terminology should have been "in either gender", or maybe even better "Divisions I and III, both men's and women's".

But what I originally said was easier to type, and as I am currently bedridden with an illness, I chose to conserve energy.
              Plattsburgh CARDINALS
              SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
              ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
              NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
              NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
              NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
              NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
                Okay, perhaps the better choice of terminology should have been "in either gender", or maybe even better "Divisions I and III, both men's and women's".

But what I originally said was easier to type, and as I am currently bedridden with an illness, I chose to conserve energy.
                You know there is no mercy on these boards...

Get better!!
                Russell Jaslow
                [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

MIAC is usually ranked high in the polls, and have reached the final four on numerous occasions in the past.

The teams that I have seen are highly skilled, aggressive/hitting and have a large number of Div.I transfers i.e. Gustavus, ST. Thomas, Hamline and others.

However they seldom post on the Fan Forum and one recommendation would be for the School/Team media send info to USCHO and Fan Forum.

Comment

Wow,

Westscout
                    The MIAC is a fine conference with some very good teams. However, the big reason they are overlooked is their dismal performance against the NCHA. This year they were 6-24-3 against their Western counterpart. No doubt that on any given night a MIAC team can beat a NCHA team, but when you only do it 6 out of 33 times you deserve to be overlooked, or at the very least looked at 2nd.
                    93GreatLaker

2012-13 LPS Losers Bracket Champion
                    2011-12 LPS Losers Bracket Champion
                    2010-11 LPS Losers Bracket Champion
                    2008-09 DIII College Hockey Pool Champion
                    2008-09 SUNYAC Pick-em Champion

Comment

Wednesday ... Really!

This league is under apprceciated and is flying under the National radar.
                      Okay ... the MIAC championship is on a Wednesday night. What kind of league schedules their biggest game on a Wed night? Seems suspect to this outsider.

Comment

Re: Wednesday ... Really!

Originally posted by elbojpb View Post
                        Okay ... the MIAC championship is on a Wednesday night. What kind of league schedules their biggest game on a Wed night? Seems suspect to this outsider.
                        Personally, I'm all for the Wednesday title game, if only because I'm already going to be shuffling through so many feeds on Saturday as it is
                        Go Cards: win or lose, The Better Team.
                        A Lot of (Sometimes Tainted) SUNYAC Championships
                        A Handful of ECAC West Championships
                        A Number of NCAA Appearances, Including Several Trips to the Final Four, Though Some of Them Don't Count
                        Some National Championships:
                        Women's (THIS YEAR, LAST YEAR, A Couple Years Back, '08, '07)
                        Men's (Wow Look at the Time Pass, A While before That)

Comment

Originally posted by elbojpb View Post
                          After having their champion sent to the play in game time in and time out, they felt having their championship on a weds would give their teams the best shot in the NCAA's a few years ago.

Somewhat similar to the sunyac doing away with the two game series in order to possibly help teams get a pool C shot.

What exactly is 'suspect' about either?

Comment

Originally posted by 93GreatLaker View Post
                            The MIAC is a fine conference with some very good teams. However, the big reason they are overlooked is their dismal performance against the NCHA. This year they were 6-24-3 against their Western counterpart. No doubt that on any given night a MIAC team can beat a NCHA team, but when you only do it 6 out of 33 times you deserve to be overlooked, or at the very least looked at 2nd.
                            The top of the MIAC can skate with the NCHA without much question. The NCHA top to bottom is one of (if not the) deepest league in DIII, and any league would have a heck of a time competing head to head against them.

I'm not going to go out and predict that Hamline or Gustavus could have won the whole thing, but I wouldn't have been surprised by it either, honestly. After the season they had, it's kind of a shame that Hamline won't have a shot to make any noise in the NCAA's, but a few key losses (not to mention the playoff loss) are going to leave them on the outside looking in.

Comment

Originally posted by one_to7 View Post
                              What exactly is 'suspect' about either?
                              I'm having trouble identifying any significant sporting event of a legitmate entity that happens on a weeknight. Simply eliminates half of the potential attendees.

Comment

Working...
                              X