CCHA Fans, Re: Shootouts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCHA Fans, Re: Shootouts.

Now that we have completed the second regular season using the shootout as a means to settle ties, I am wondering what the sentiment among CCHA fans is on its implementation. In the original press release, both CCHA commissioner Tom Anastos and FSN Detroit vice president and general manager Greg Hammaren said that the shootout would prove to add excitement to the regular season games. Has the shootout enhanced watching regular season CCHA hockey for you? Do you believe that it has proven to be an acceptable means to break ties in league standings?

For me, the shootout has been an interesting experiment but not a resounding success. Michigan State has won five shootouts in ten opportunities over the last two seasons; I personally view these as ten ties, not view these as five “wins” and five “losses” since for me they feel like ties used to and not really like a “win” or “loss.” Without shootouts, the only changes to the final league standings this year would have been that Northern would be the third seed based on head to head with Ferris, and Western would have swapped with Bowling Green.
    No trees were harmed in the making of this post. A few electrons got excited though.

Re: CCHA Fans, Re: Shootouts.

I think the shootout is fine for regular-season games and with the current point system (3 for win, 2 shooout win).

I still regard the outcome as a tie, but have no problem with them adding the skills contest to appease casual fans if it indeed does that.

now if the gold medal game had come down to a shoot-out I would've had a problem with that.

Comment

My sentiments towards the CCHA shootouts are exactly the same as the NHL. Leave the breakaway competition for All-Star weekend and the Frozen Four Skills Contest. Hockey was just fine ending games in ties for decades and I never saw a need to change that.

/rant off

While I would agree that the NHL adding shootouts does occasionally draw in the casual fan, the scope of coverage for college hockey is so limited I find it hard to believe that anyone not familiar to the game has been enticed to watch a CCHA matchup simply because a shootout was added.
      Last edited by MUhawks628; 02-28-2010, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
        My sentiments towards the CCHA shootouts are exactly the same as the NHL. Leave the breakaway competition for All-Star weekend and the Frozen Four Skills Contest. Hockey was just fine ending games in ties for decades and I never saw a need to change that.

/rant off
        Agreed.

But if the CCHA must keep it, stay with this year's point system.

Comment

Initially, I was a big fan of the shootout.

Now? Honestly, I think it's a burden that doesn't really add anything to the game. That, and frankly, as somebody who's been scouring the Pairwise every weekend since the break, I have found the shootout to be more and more irrelevant.

Worse yet, I think the option of the shootout causes the overtime period to be played by both teams at a less intense pace.

At this point, I'd be all for reverting back to the old system.
          Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
          66 - 86 - 07
          59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
          59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Originally posted by SpartyTAD View Post
            Without shootouts, the only changes to the final league standings this year would have been that Northern would be the third seed based on head to head with Ferris, and Western would have swapped with Bowling Green.
            And Michigan and Alaska would swap places. Michigan would finish 5, and Alaska 7th. UNO would remain at 6th.

Michigan 43 pts.
            UNO 42 pts.
            UA(F) 41 pts.

Michigan has had 1 shootout in 2 years, and they looked rather rusty at it.
            Get rid of it. It's a tie game to me.

Comment

I'd chime in with a vintage EoDS Super-Rant, but this being a CCHA fans thread and all, I think I can leave the "shootouts are stupid" rant up to my CCHA brethren.
              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

I've been watching hockey all my life, and I like the shoot out. I think they are fun and exciting to watch. I don't like them for championship games or anything like that. I'm ok with them for regular season games though.
                All that was left, then, was for the Nanooks to celebrate with their fans. And for the Seawolves to get one last earful of the rowdies from Fairbanks.

"I've got a lot of expletives I'd like to use,'' Fournier said, slumped in his locker room stall. "It's very embarrassing when you're playing on your home ice and they have more fans and they're louder.

"We might as well have played the games in Fairbanks.''

Comment

They suck and serve no purpose.

The NHL can do whatever they want to grab more "casual fans" (And fail, but that's another story.)

College hockey doesn't really have casual fans. We'll survive the indignity of a tie game without a clearcut winner, especially since it's a tie officially and you had screw with the point system and add a freaking line to the standings.
                  "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

I have been to about 40 games over the last two seasons but I have yet to attend one that ended in a shootout...just bad timing I guess.

As for their functionality...I like the idea of every game having a "winner" but I'm not sure I like the individualism of the shootout. Hockey is the most team sport that there is, and this takes the team concept out of it.
                    MICHIGAN STATE
                    1966:1986:2007

Comment

Originally posted by Rms123 View Post
                      I've been watching hockey all my life, and I like the shoot out. I think they are fun and exciting to watch. I don't like them for championship games or anything like that. I'm ok with them for regular season games though.
                      I really enjoyed the shootout for about half of the 05-06 NHL season and then the novelty wore off. Today when a game goes to a shootout I am usually so bitter by the time the zamboni gets done clearing the strip that I just want them to get it over with fast regardless of the result.

Disclaimer: As a Wings fan, this season may be impassioning my views on the shootout ever so slightly . But seriously, it sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
                        I really enjoyed the shootout for about half of the 05-06 NHL season and then the novelty wore off. Today when a game goes to a shootout I am usually so bitter by the time the zamboni gets done clearing the strip that I just want them to get it over with fast regardless of the result.

Disclaimer: As a Wings fan, this season may be impassioning my views on the shootout ever so slightly . But seriously, it sucks.
                        Try being a Spartan/Wings fan...I think between the two teams they have 3 shootout wins in about 20 tries this season.
                        MICHIGAN STATE
                        1966:1986:2007

Comment

Personally I'd rather have them leave a tie as well enough alone, even though I know my 'Nooks have been the beneficiaries quite a few times.

Witness: earlier in February, the second game of the Michigan State/Alaska series. Teams skated to a 2-2 tie, and literally played each other completely even the whole way. And yet MSU walked out with an extra point despite not, in my mind, having really earned it any more or less than the 'Nooks did.

Like some others, I enjoyed the novelty at first but it's worn out its welcome for me. Especially considering that it has no bearing on NCAA rankings, why bother anymore?
                          “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

They don't bother me. Nor do I require them. Ties to me though, after 65 minutes of hockey are a little anticlimactic.

On the subject of ties... we had an interesting situation at MSU. Palmisano was defending the goal and in the process of sliding to the post, he knocked it just off its mooring just prior to a goal be scored. It was reviewed, and waved off. The shooter did not get a second shot. That whole deal seemed like it could get shady in a hurry.
                            maize is just an arrogant shade of yellow

Comment

I'm anti-shootout, regardless of the impact to my team's record. If we're so hell-bent on deciding a winner, move OT back to 10 minutes and play 4x4 if you have to. You're likely to get a winner much more often than not.

One more thing: since we're so interested in having a winner in every game, why are we giving points for "losing" a game in a shootout? Under the logic saying that we're going to use a shootout to decide a winner, either you won the game, or you lost it. If we're going to have shootouts, get rid of the ties and the shootout wins in the standings. You won or you lost. Otherwise, why are we having shootouts in the first place?
                              FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Working...
                              X