PDA

View Full Version : UVM at Lowell 3/5 & 3/6

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Gainzo
02-28-2010, 06:36 PM
It all comes down to this. For UVM it is making the playoffs, for Lowell it is the chance to get home ice.

Patman
02-28-2010, 06:40 PM
It all comes down to this. For UVM it is making the playoffs, for Lowell it is the chance to get home ice.

UVM can also get home ice though its less likely... I know they have a breaker on BU... I don't know about NU... they could control their own destiny as well.

Lowell can finish as high as 3rd and as low as 9th.

Jon
02-28-2010, 06:54 PM
I'll be severely disappointed if this doesn't turn into a pointless flame fest.

UMLFan
02-28-2010, 07:45 PM
For all the talk between certain members of each team's fans ... we come down to the end of the season where UVM needs to get points to make sure they make the playoffs. And Lowell has a good chance to not only make sure they make the playoffs but get home ice.

As I said already ... I've been thinking BU/Lowell for a bit for the playoffs ... the question is where.

Seniors ... you've wanted to leave a legacy. It starts NOW.

walrus
02-28-2010, 07:48 PM
I'll be severely disappointed if this doesn't turn into a pointless flame fest.

It'll have a point, our entertainment:D

GuttCheck
02-28-2010, 07:53 PM
UVM has tiebreakers over both BU and NU, so like UML, I believe they control their own destiny as far as home ice goes. Both teams could also miss the playoffs. Should be a great series, UVM has been playing well since the Milo dismissal and it UML seems to have been playing better of late.

NUMcNeely
02-28-2010, 07:55 PM
Big series for about half of the league, I know I'll be watching this one just as closely as the nu bu series. Good god these standings are tight.

Patman
02-28-2010, 07:56 PM
Big series for about half of the league, I know I'll be watching this one just as closely as the nu bu series. Good god these standings are tight.

I think Maine taking 2 points Friday will make a lot of people feel a lot better.

John_Fuller
02-28-2010, 08:15 PM
As I said already ... I've been thinking BU/Lowell for a bit for the playoffs ... the question is where.

Just to throw a fly in the ointment, a win by NU on either Friday or Saturday and they win the tiebreaker against BU. NU beat BU 1-0 earlier this year.

The possibilities are endless, we could be anywhere in four states for the playoffs, including home sweet home. Hell, we can still play Merrimack if the cards fall right.

While the playoffs technically start in two weeks, this is effectively a defacto preliminary round for HE.

There's really no in-depth thought to the weekend's games, win both and you're in.

UMLFan
02-28-2010, 08:18 PM
Just to throw a fly in the ointment, a win by NU on either Friday or Saturday and they win the tiebreaker against BU. NU beat BU 1-0 earlier this year.

The possibilities are endless, we could be anywhere in four states for the playoffs, including home sweet home. Hell, we can still play Merrimack if the cards fall right.

While the playoffs technically start in two weeks, this is effectively a defacto preliminary round for HE.

There's really no in-depth thought to the weekend's games, win both and you're in.
Three points for Lowell I think will give Lowell home-ice. I think BU and NU will split.

As Patman said ... this is senior week. I'd like to see these guys have the weekends of their lives (prior to the following two weekends of course).

John_Fuller
02-28-2010, 08:32 PM
Three points for Lowell I think will give Lowell home-ice. I think BU and NU will split. As Patman said ... this is senior week. I'd like to see these guys have the weekends of their lives (prior to the following two weekends of course).

Currently, it is three points for Lowell only if BU loses or ties one of the two games, otherwise they need all four because of the tiebreaker. Someone can check me with the math but I agree that BU and NU will split.

Agree with the last part, if the boys have fun and play to the level they are capable, we are going to have a good weekend. Home crowds of under 5000 for either game would be a disappointment considering what's on the line. Plan to get out early on Friday.

observer85
02-28-2010, 08:45 PM
Agree with the last part, if the boys have fun and play to the level they are capable, we are going to have a good weekend. Home crowds of under 5000 for either game would be a disappointment considering what's on the line. Plan to get out early on Friday.

UVM had the pressure of playing well vs. BU or risk sitting at home and pretty much calling it a season. They appeared to have some fun and played to the level they are capable of. Now it is UML's turn to pick it up a notch after that tie with PC.

Since UVM now has home ice within reach, I expect them to give UML a real test to try and get that home ice for themselves. These should be 2 real good, intense games with lots of ramifications for both teams. Agreed, if the crowds are under 5000 for either game, it will be disappointing.

bsaeagle64
02-28-2010, 08:52 PM
UVM can also get home ice though its less likely... I know they have a breaker on BU... I don't know about NU... they could control their own destiny as well.

UML has the tie breaker against NU. The only way bu or NU gets home ice instead of UVM or UMl is if either one sweeps next weekend and the UVM/UML weekend is a split.

pressbox
02-28-2010, 09:00 PM
Lost in all this talk is the fact that the other "UMass" has to travel to Maine for two and is in real danger of not making the playoffs because of the way Maine is playing. I predict one of us is playing in 11 days and one of us ends their season this weekend. I don't see Merrimack losing two to Providence.

bottomdweller
02-28-2010, 09:03 PM
Lost in all this talk is the fact that the other "UMass" has to travel to Maine for two and is in real danger of not making the playoffs because of the way Maine is playing. I predict one of us is playing in 11 days and one of us ends their season this weekend. I don't see Merrimack losing two to Providence.

Not really lost in all the talks since this is a UVM/UML thread. the NU/BU series has a lot involved with this because one of these 4 (most likely) will wind up with home ice. UMass is done (though I wouldn't mind a Lowell sweep and a UMass sweep because then we'd be in 3rd). But let's not get greedy...

Patman
02-28-2010, 09:06 PM
Not really lost in all the talks since this is a UVM/UML thread. the NU/BU series has a lot involved with this because one of these 4 (most likely) will wind up with home ice. UMass is done (though I wouldn't mind a Lowell sweep and a UMass sweep because then we'd be in 3rd). But let's not get greedy...

frankly, the distinction between 3rd and 4th will be more a matter of who gets the last change at the Garden in the semis provided that UNH or BC gets knocked out in the QF. Otherwise it doesn't matter much considering how bunched the standings are.

kdaddy
02-28-2010, 10:50 PM
My meager predictions.

UML-UVM - Split or 3 pts for UML
UM -UMass- Maine 3 or 4 pts.
MC-PC - 4 pts for MC
BU- 3 points against NU

So that leaves UVM in 6th, 7th or 8th.. UMass out and MC a bad draw for someone.

UVM lives or dies by the 1st round of the playoffs. Win and I think they make it into the NCAA's lose and they are done.

jcarter7669
03-01-2010, 10:12 AM

UVM in fact does have the tie breaker against NU as well as BU. If UVM takes 3 points they would also own the tie breaker over UML and would end up with home ice depending on the results of the other games ( a split or better for ME, split BU-NU, split PC-MC).

I think the PC - MC split makes it difficult for UVM to get home ice as they would lose the MC tiebreaker and it will be difficult to take 3 of 4 points at UML, but it certainly isn't out of the realm of possibiity, especially of UVM keeps up their play.

jcarter7669
03-01-2010, 02:16 PM
Rather dead thread considering the offseason smack talk.

But then again, neither team has come close to the preseason hopes and hypes.

It has been a wierd season in the standings. I knew this would be an important series for both teams, but who would have guessed that it could end up with either team in home ice or either team out of the playoffs. :eek:

One last note : the younger Stalberg surpassed Vik's freshman point total and has come on strong the last part of the year.

A final note : UMLGoon who was absolutely sure that there was no way VT could replace the offense after losing Stalberg, Strong and Lenes was clearly wrong :eek: Last season UVM finished with a 3.10 GPG and are currently scoring at 3.18 GPG. I concede the season is not yet over, but I think we can consider the offense replaced.

Jon
03-01-2010, 03:08 PM
I think the PC - MC split

PC hasn't quite given up yet - ties against UML and UVm and that one bizarre win against BU, but it's pretty **** close. Most of the kids on PC are going to keep playing to the end, but unless we figure out a way to clone Matt Bergland no body can score. It's the Alex Beaudry show.