New National Collegiate Teams?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New National Collegiate Teams?

Reps from Notre Dame and Miami of Ohio were sitting behind us and talking with the fans at the UW-Ohio State game last night at Eagles Nest.

Apparently they have been looking into Ladies programs and with Mark Johnson Coaching the Olympic team and both schools familiarity with The Ohio State sparked their interest to check out a game on their way to Chicago from some sort of Administrator Meeting in Minneapolis. They were at the MSU-Minnesota game on Friday as well.

It didn't sound as if either man had a time frame discussed but the Notre Dame Rep said that they spend time each spring looking into new sports programs that will broaden the landscape of what they offer.

Both schools are well established Men's programs who would hopefully go a long way towards improving the Women's Hockey landscape.

Notre Dame at least has a strong financial athletic program that could potentially invest large to field a competitive team in a short amount of time. Not sure what Miami would bring other than a new rink and closer competition for Ohio State and the PA area teams but with the Economy the way it is and other schools looking at cuts its refreshing to say the least that schools are at least taking the time to examine what could be.

Also where would these teams play? A 10 team WCHA or to a larger renamed CHA?

Thoughts?
    The WCHA Dynasty
    Wisconsin
    National Championships: 2011,2009,2007,2006; Runners Up: 2012, 2008
    MOP Winners: Bauer (07), Duggan (11), Knight (11), Vetter (06, 09)

Minnesota
    National Championships: 2012, 2005, 2004, 2000 (AWCHA); Runners Up: 2006
    MOP Winners: Darwitz (05), Killewald (00), Raty(12), Wendell (04)

Minnesota-Duluth
    National Championships: 2010, 2008, 2003, 2002, 2001; Runners Up: 2007
    MOP Winners: Blais (10), Martin (08), Ouellette (03), Rooth (01)

Re: New National Collegiate Teams?

This is great to hear, although I'm sure it would take some time to put together. As I was listening to a men's D1 game on the radio last night, I kept thinking about some colleges that field well known and sometimes top-tier men's teams that don't have a women's program (the Michigan's and Denver's of the men's hockey world). Would love to see some of them step up and Notre Dame and Miami of Ohio also seem like good candidates for this. Hopefully the sport can once again build on the momentum of the Olympics.

As far as these to programs go, I'm in favor of them joining in the current or perhaps a renamed CHA.
    There is no right way to do the wrong thing.

U19AAAA Forever!

Comment

I have heard random comments about two new Women's Hockey programs at University of Virginia and University of Arizona. Can anyone verify that?

Comment

Southern Methodist and Louisiana-Lafayette?
        Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackBart View Post
          I have heard random comments about two new Women's Hockey programs at University of Virginia and University of Arizona. Can anyone verify that?
          During the call of the Women's Olympic Hockey games, Doc Emrick said that there were college hockey teams all over the country, including Virginia and Arizona. I was puzzled by what he meant, because I'm pretty sure there are no women's hockey programs in either of those states. I'm not as sure about men's college hockey teams, but a quick check doesn't turn up any. I have no idea what he was talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by PrincetonFan View Post
            During the call of the Women's Olympic Hockey games, Doc Emrick said that there were college hockey teams all over the country, including Virginia and Arizona. I was puzzled by what he meant, because I'm pretty sure there are no women's hockey programs in either of those states. I'm not as sure about men's college hockey teams, but a quick check doesn't turn up any. I have no idea what he was talking about.
            Club teams I believe
            Last edited by UCONN FAN; 03-10-2010, 08:01 AM. Reason: Iceisnice told me too.
            Fire Chiarelli!

Comment

Originally posted by UCONN FAN View Post
              Club teams I beleive
              http://www.achahockey.org/
              "Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese." - Joon

Comment

Originally posted by WHKY blogger View Post
                Also where would these teams play? A 10 team WCHA or to a larger renamed CHA?
                I would guess that South Bend Catholic University would be a WCHA candidate, while Miami-Ohio would be CHA bound.
                113-162-27 .419

252-113-40 .672

Comment

Originally posted by PrincetonFan View Post
                  At first I was cringing, thinking "Geez, why is he including club programs?" But after ruminating some, it makes sense to include them in the context of the conversation/commentary. He has also done a lot of work for USA Hockey, and the ACHA falls under their "guidance" for lack of a better term.

Originally posted by freak View Post
                  I would guess that South Bend Catholic University would be a WCHA candidate, while Miami-Ohio would be CHA bound.
                  The WCHA is fine the way it is, and doesn't need further expansion. I would think that you would put both in the CHA since that league has 1) room, and 2) the right geographic profile.
                  Last edited by Hux; 03-02-2010, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
                    The WCHA is fine the way it is, and doesn't need further expansion. I would think that you would put both in the CHA since that league has 1) room, and 2) the right geographic profile.
                    I think the CHA is the best option as well. Another "auto-bid" conference would be good I think.
                    Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Working...
                    X