PDA

View Full Version : NCAA D3 Expansion?

Pages : [1] 2

hockey247
02-26-2010, 09:45 AM
Last year College hockey lost MN Crookston and this year they will be losing LVC. This year University of New England came in. Are there any schools looking to add hockey for NCAA division III?

CARDS_rule_the_Burgh
02-26-2010, 09:59 AM
Response A: I don't count Minn-Crookston as a loss for DIII, because they were a DII school that absolutely no impact on DIII.

Response B: How many threads do we need to discuss this topic?

Russell Jaslow
02-26-2010, 10:11 AM
Response B: How many threads do we need to discuss this topic?

Apparently more. I'll start another one up during lunch... :eek:

bayliner2555
02-27-2010, 07:02 AM
Apparently more. I'll start another one up during lunch... :eek:

Did you skip lunch again? :rolleyes:

UCBadger
02-27-2010, 10:21 PM
Last year College hockey lost MN Crookston and this year they will be losing LVC. This year University of New England came in. Are there any schools looking to add hockey for NCAA division III?
New D-III hockey programs are sometimes like the Spanish Inquisition.......Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition. :D

I really doubt that anyone expected Utica to start hockey 10 years ago. It was pretty much a surprise to the campus when it was announced the year after the roll out of football and lacrosse.

Jumbolaya
02-28-2010, 01:10 PM
A few possibilities I throw out there w/o any substantive reason to think these schools are seriously considering D3 hockey as an addition to their athletic offerings. Mostly these are just D3 members with decent (or better) club programs who are somewhat logical fits in terms of location.

Bates (ME)
Bridgewater St. (MA)
Calvin (MI)
Endicott (MA)
Hope (MI)
Ithaca (NY)
John Carroll (OH)
Keene St. (NH)
Le Moyne (NY)
Penn State - Berks
Rhode Island College
Robert Morris (Illinois - currently NAIA)
Rowan (NJ)
Springfield (MA)
Washington & Jefferson (PA)
UW LaCrosse/Platteville/Whitewater

Will we see any of these institutions add D3 hockey anytime soon? Hopefully, but I wouldn't count on it given the economic climate and high cost of hockey compared to other sports. But if it is going to happen, these would be some of the most likely candidates.

CARDS_rule_the_Burgh
02-28-2010, 02:49 PM
A few possibilities I throw out there w/o any substantive reason to think these schools are seriously considering D3 hockey as an addition to their athletic offerings. Mostly these are just D3 members with decent (or better) club programs who are somewhat logical fits in terms of location.

Bates (ME)
Bridgewater St. (MA)
Calvin (MI)
Endicott (MA)
Hope (MI)
Ithaca (NY)
John Carroll (OH)
Keene St. (NH)
Le Moyne (NY)
Penn State - Berks
Rhode Island College
Rowan (NJ)
Springfield (MA)

Will we see any of these institutions add D3 hockey anytime soon? Hopefully, but I wouldn't count on it given the economic climate and high cost of hockey compared to other sports. But if it is going to happen, these would be some of the most likely candidates.

I might have to argue against an ACHA D2 Endicott team who went 0-2-0 against UNE in their last ACHA year, hasn't played a postseason game in a few years, and went 10-13-0-1 this year against a questionable (at best) SOS.

Other than that, this list looks fine to me. Except that the VAST majority of these teams couldn't "make the jump" anytime soon for rink/financial/other reasons.

cooperalls
02-28-2010, 10:32 PM
Here is what I heard about some of the schools:

Bates will never go D3 because the guy who donated the rink said it has to stay club and for the students.

Calvin and Hope have the resouces to move to Div. III since they play that way already only issue is that they are very religious and could never play on a sunday so if the conference they were in played a championship on a sunday they wouldn't be allowed to go and also if it were that way in an NCAA final.

Can't imagine Ithaca Club team is awful and have already been Div. III in the past and dropped the program.

Lemoyne is a D2 school so take that off the list.

Keene State could possibly go DIII depending on the amount of sports they have since they are in New England but question is where would they play there games the rink in Keene is awful and potentially dangerous.

Robert Morris Illinois could probably go Div. III but they would lose a ton of students since they give a lot of scholarship money to it's hockey players.

Penn State Berks has the facility, at one time had huge numbers of hockey players in the school from what I understand but has to give up a third of it's tuition money per student to Penn State Main Campus and when you are making 60 cents on a dollar you are not going to be able to fund a hockey program when the going rate for ice time is $375 and hour.

As long as John Carroll has 9 women's sports to 10 men's they aren't adding hockey anytime soon plus who would they play? Travel to Michigan and Wisconsin all the time?

Rowan has the money from what I here and has a rink close to campus and they give loads of financial aid so this I could see possibly happening if they schools administration has any vision.

Springfield would be a good one but I don't think it will ever happen since they see how bad WNEC is and there tuition is around the same.

Washington and Jefferson probably but again who would they play since there is no Div. III hockey program on that side of the state of PA.

Don't know anything about Rhode Island College and where they play and don't know anthing about the UW schools.

Bates (ME)
Bridgewater St. (MA)
Calvin (MI)
Endicott (MA)
Hope (MI)
Ithaca (NY)
John Carroll (OH)
Keene St. (NH)
Le Moyne (NY)
Penn State - Berks
Rhode Island College
Rowan (NJ)
Springfield (MA)

joecct
03-01-2010, 02:29 PM
In D1 land, BYU can't play on Sundays. The NCAA hoops folks always schedule them in a Thursday/Saturday regional. I would imagine if Calvin and Hope got good, the NCAA and their conference would schedule around them.

Rowan would be my first choice, given that the school administration seems to like sports (at least football). There is a rink in Vineland, NJ, but I have no idea how long it would take to get there or what the rink is like. Rowan would also be Neumann's logical travel partner.

Russell Jaslow
03-01-2010, 02:59 PM
In D1 land, BYU can't play on Sundays. The NCAA hoops folks always schedule them in a Thursday/Saturday regional. I would imagine if Calvin and Hope got good, the NCAA and their conference would schedule around them.

Calvin has always been a basketball power and often, including this year, makes the NCAAs. So, it's not like they can't handle Calvin's policies.

jconnor
03-01-2010, 07:28 PM
Ithaca would fit in perfect with the ECAC-W

Stormy8174
03-01-2010, 10:18 PM
Ithaca would fit in perfect with the ECAC-W

Do we know how the ECAC-W will handle its tournament next season if another team does not come in? Right now it is 5 of 6 teams getting in. It would seem strange to let 5 of 5 teams get in the playoffs. Any comments? :confused:

UCBadger
03-01-2010, 10:25 PM
Do we know how the ECAC-W will handle its tournament next season if another team does not come in? Right now it is 5 of 6 teams getting in. It would seem strange to let 5 of 5 teams get in the playoffs. Any comments? :confused:
My money is on the 4vs5 Wednesday game going away and then 1 hosts 4 and 2 hosts 3 on Saturday and 5.........

NUProf
03-02-2010, 05:34 AM

ECAC E, ECAC NE, NCHA all let everybody in the playoffs

cooperalls
03-02-2010, 12:01 PM
Regular season Champion gets a bye in the first round.

2 vs. 5 3 vs. 4

#1 plays lowest remaining seed which could be #4 or #5

My money is on the 4vs5 Wednesday game going away and then 1 hosts 4 and 2 hosts 3 on Saturday and 5.........

cooperalls
03-02-2010, 12:34 PM
Then why hasn't any leagues gone in and met with them officially to try and get them to the NCAA Div. III levels for hockey when the sport of hockey is basically funded through fundraising and through athletics anyways. The problem isn't the ncaa it's the people inovled with hockey politics. These schools don't want to cultivate hockey they don't want to create new partnerships and open there little world up to anybody because it is more competition. Get real man!

There are several ACHA schools that are varsity hockey programs around the country and possibly could help if NCAA adopted new legislation to allow these programs to be NCAA in one sport. What sucks is that programs that are varsity programs and Lebanon Valley and Scranton which appear to be totally mismanaged leave the NCAA for the ACHA. Schools need to get to the real root cause of these issues because Scrantons Coach has been there forever and has done nothingd for their program.

Scranton - NCAA Div. III Independent follows all NCAA Div. III rules and regulations plays in ACHA.

Alvernia College - NCAA Div. III school maybe an independent under the radar plays basically by all NCAA standards as well. Will play 22 regular season games because they have non-hockey guys running the program they count the playoff games as there 25.

Hope College - plays 25 games not including playoffs

Calvin College - Plays 25 games not including playoffs

These programs are supported by the Athletic program and run by the athletic program so technically they should be all classified as NCAA Div. III Independents.

Calvin has always been a basketball power and often, including this year, makes the NCAAs. So, it's not like they can't handle Calvin's policies.

GB Puck Fan
03-02-2010, 12:57 PM

I don't think there's even a rink within 15 miles of Whitewater. And the club team disbanded in 2003. At least the club team at UWP is still active. I don't think there's any men's hockey at UW LaX.

While it would be nice to see another state school add it, I just don't see it from a budget perspective.

Russell Jaslow
03-02-2010, 01:04 PM
Then why hasn't any leagues gone in and met with them officially to try and get them to the NCAA Div. III levels for hockey when the sport of hockey is basically funded through fundraising and through athletics anyways. The problem isn't the ncaa it's the people inovled with hockey politics. These schools don't want to cultivate hockey they don't want to create new partnerships and open there little world up to anybody because it is more competition. Get real man!

It's a heck of a lot more complicated than that. Like Title IX considerations to name one issue.

Never ran an athletic department before, have you?

LtPowers
03-02-2010, 01:40 PM
Regular season Champion gets a bye in the first round.

2 vs. 5 3 vs. 4

#1 plays lowest remaining seed which could be #4 or #5

If #2 and #3 win, then lowest remaining seed is #3, and who would #2 play?

Powers &8^]

hockey247
03-02-2010, 01:41 PM
Out East:
Mass Maritimes (They are in the MASCAC)
Bridgewater State (They are in the MASAC) Theres a number of rinks they could use
MCLA (They are in the MASCAC) would they come back to NCAA hockey
University of Maine Farmington
St. Joesph's College (ME)
Bates College (ME)
Frostburg St (MD)
John Hopkins (MD)
Springfield College (MA)
Daniel Webster or Rivier College (both in Nashua, NH) could play at that new rink Conway
Montclair State (NJ)

Eastern CT, Western CT (would be a good fit in the ECAC W with a great rink that use to have UHL team in the Trashers)

How are there only 3 NCAA division III hockey teams in CT? All NESCAC schools (Trinity, Conn College, and Wesleyan) With all the NE PREP schools around. Not to mention it is the wealthiest state in the union.

RI College (right in downtown Providence)
Keene State (NH)
Wilkes University (PA) same conferance as Manhattenville
Roger Williams (RI)

I personally think that if they do combinded the NCAA D2 & D3 that there could be more teams and could help the game unstead of losing teams. The teams below could either form thier own league or jump into other leagues such as the ECAC W

Adelphi University (Garden City, NY) Perfect for ECAC W
Le Moyne College (Syrcuse, NY) Maybe the best fit for ECAC W
Pace University (Pleasantville, NY)
University of New Haven
College of St. Rose (Albany, NY)
Western CT State (New Haven)

Out West
UW Oshkosh they have a rink intown I think like in the youth center
UW LaCrosse an NAHL team is moving there and they have a double sheet
Carleton College they compete in the MIAC
Macalaster College they compete in the MIAC
Ripon College they compete in the Midwest conferance with Lawrence University, St. Norbert, Lake Forrest; all of who have hockey
Monmouth College Midwest conferance
Knox College Midwest conferance
Illinois College Midwest conferance
Grinell College Midwest conferance
Carroll University Midwest conferance
Beloit College Midwest conferance
Alverno College (Milwaukee, WI) same conferance (Northern)as Concordia (WI), MSOE, Marian; all of who have hockey
Aurora University (Aurora, IL) Northern Conferance
Benedictine University
Concordia (IL) Chicago Northern Conferance
Dominican University Northern Conferance
Edgewood College (Madision, WI) Northern Conferance
Rockford College (IL) Northern Conferance (Could play at the same rink as the AHL team
College of Wooster (OH)
Bluffton University (OH)
Oberline University (OH)
Trine University (IN)
University of Debuque (IA) with a new USHL team going in and a new rink. They could use the old rink or share the new one with the USHL
University of Minnesota - Morris
Fontbonne University (MO) Why is there no college hockey in St. Louis?