PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Salaries

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

STATEdude3
02-26-2010, 01:31 PM
That is just the way the world works, little brother. The first born gets the inheritence. Everyone else gets the scraps.

I wouldn't know about that big sister...I'm too busy planning my tournament trip to relish ancient history.

Nice spelling by the way...must be that "Harvard of the West" English department at work.

wasmania
02-26-2010, 01:36 PM
The Minnesota job with all the hockey camps and endorsements is between $500,000 to $800,000.

I have asked this of gopher fans before without success. I have not lived in the twin cities for quite some time so I am not current on what endorsements you guys refer to. Is Don on billboards around town hawking cars? Is he letting the locals know how great a store Target is?

Could you provide an example of an endorsement he does? Seems to me endorsements are a theoretical possibility amongst sports celebrity types but are not a given.

And to be clear, the Minnesota job pays a salary and what else the coach does is not guaranteed it is more a function of the coach's own business acumen. So a new coach at Minnesota could expect a high end salary but the rest is up to him. So in discussion of salaries shouldnt the numbers be limited to the actual salary the University pays him?

davyd83
02-26-2010, 02:31 PM
I have asked this of gopher fans before without success. I have not lived in the twin cities for quite some time so I am not current on what endorsements you guys refer to. Is Don on billboards around town hawking cars? Is he letting the locals know how great a store Target is?

Could you provide an example of an endorsement he does? Seems to me endorsements are a theoretical possibility amongst sports celebrity types but are not a given.

And to be clear, the Minnesota job pays a salary and what else the coach does is not guaranteed it is more a function of the coach's own business acumen. So a new coach at Minnesota could expect a high end salary but the rest is up to him. So in discussion of salaries shouldnt the numbers be limited to the actual salary the University pays him?

Not really, because the deals for radio and TV shows, equipment contracts, camps, cars, clothing, etc, though not picked up by the university, are part of the compensatory package. It just happens that boosters and outside business interests provide some of these things to the University to help entice the coach to come to the school or to continue there.

wasmania
02-26-2010, 06:15 PM
Not really, because the deals for radio and TV shows, equipment contracts, camps, cars, clothing, etc, though not picked up by the university, are part of the compensatory package. It just happens that boosters and outside business interests provide some of these things to the University to help entice the coach to come to the school or to continue there.

So in addition to the media deals, Lucia gets shwag and you want to call that part of his compensation. Fine. What exactly does he endorse, though?

STATEdude3
02-26-2010, 10:17 PM
I believe Rick Comley makes $100,000 at Michigan State.

4four4
02-26-2010, 11:52 PM
So in addition to the media deals, Lucia gets shwag and you want to call that part of his compensation. Fine. What exactly does he endorse, though?

Listen to 830 WCCO and find out. Car dealerships come to mind and hockey related commerical spots.

wasmania
02-27-2010, 01:01 PM
Listen to 830 WCCO and find out. Car dealerships come to mind and hockey related commerical spots.

Radio ads for car dealers and hockey stuff. He could buy and island in the caribbean with the mother lode from those deals!

thebrain
02-27-2010, 01:29 PM
Here's the entire University of Minnesota athletic department's pay from 2007.
http://ww3.startribune.com/dynamic/salaries/employees.php?dpt_code=Athl&ent_code=UMTC

Tubby Smith, the men's basketball coach is the highest paid state employee with $603,000 base salary and $1.15 million in "Other" for a combined $1.7 million. Lucia was just under $500K with $234,000 in salary and $262,000 in "Other" while A.D. Joel Maturi made $325,500 in base salary and $62,000 in "Other" for a combined $387,500. The president of the University of Minnesota made $423,000.

The governor's salary was about $149,000.

Terrierbyassociation
02-27-2010, 01:31 PM
Here's the entire University of Minnesota athletic department's pay from 2007.
http://ww3.startribune.com/dynamic/salaries/employees.php?dpt_code=Athl&ent_code=UMTC

Tubby Smith, the men's basketball coach is the highest paid state employee with $603,000 base salary and $1.15 million in "Overtime" for a combined $1.7 million. Lucia was just under $500K with $234,000 in salary and $262,000 in "Overtime" while A.D. Joel Maturi made $325,500 in base salary and $62,000 in "Overtime" for a combined $387,500. The president of the University of Minnesota made $423,000.

The governor's salary was about $149,000.

Since when did salaried employees get overtime? :eek:

thebrain
02-27-2010, 01:40 PM
Since when did salaried employees get overtime? :eek:

I should say, "Other" pay. At the top of the graph it says overtime, then under it says other.

Interesting in 2007 that Shannon Miller the UMD women's coach made more than Sandelin.

Miller $135,000 base, $32,111 "Other" for a combined, $167,111.
Sandelin $133,250 base, $6,000 "Other" for a combined, $139,250.

davyd83
02-27-2010, 01:52 PM

I believe you are way off, by at least $150,000.

RinkPig
02-27-2010, 02:01 PM
My dad makes more than your dad - dumb!

moe24
03-01-2010, 09:18 AM

If by $100,000 you really mean $250,000 then yes, you are absolutely right.

davyd83
03-01-2010, 09:53 AM

If he's only getting $100K, he took a pay cut to leave Northern Michigan!:)

Puck Swami
03-01-2010, 11:01 AM
I have nothing against the Minnesota hockey program except this...they seem to have the same sense of entitlement as Canada does at the national level. Look at the way they believe superior talent pool, history, and reputation is supposed to be enough to put them at the top.

Having the top paying job goes right along with this. In my opinion it speaks to an arrogance (too strong of a word but I cant think of a more appropriate one). I understand paying a competitive salary, but look at the bang for the buck...Minnesota just does not have it. If you were perennial contenders, maybe, but those goofy gophers just don't have it.

It's much more than wins and losses.

Salaries in a free market are a reflection of the economic value they help to create. Minnesota hockey has a statewide following and more economic impact than any other college hockey program by a large measure. Gopher hockey is seen by more TV viewers and generates more advertising dollars than any other program, and it's largely Gopher fans who fund the the WCHA through their attendance at the Final Five. Whoever is the Gopher coach should be the highest paid coach because he drives the bus on college hockey's largest econmic driver. The Minnesota program is the college hockey equivalent of the Dallas Cowboys or New York Yankees - they might not win every year, but they certainly are the power brand in our sport due to the largest awareness and revenue they generate.

unofan
03-01-2010, 11:08 AM
And to split that legal hair even further, there is a big difference in possible federal funding within the ECAC . The six ivies are all large research universities and without a doubt have large federal research grants. SLU, Union as liberal arts colleges without graduate schools of any consequence, very likely only take Pell grant money, which as you point out goes to students. Colgate probably falls in the same boat. The two engineering schools Clarkson and RPI might be more likely to have non-Pell grant Federal research money floating around -- and I wouldn't have a clue about that commuter school in Hamden. But, hey if any one with nothing else to do wants to file a FOIA, I'm sure we'd all be interested.

More to the point, my educated guess (and it's only a guess) is that the ECAC salaries are going to be at or toward the lower end of the spectrum. The faculties at these small colleges (and at the Ivies) have this thing about athletic coaches who make double what the highest paid professor gets.

Could the private schools get around it, too, since their athletic departments wouldn't receive federal funds themselves? Research grants are easily traceable to their respective academic departments, and student loans go through the student. I think private instutitions would have a decent chance at saying their athletics departments are outside the scope of federal funding and not subject to FOIA.

STATEdude3
03-01-2010, 01:06 PM

Actually I meant to type $200,000...simply missed the digit. I guess I was still wrong though.:rolleyes:

STATEdude3
03-01-2010, 01:07 PM
It's much more than wins and losses.

Salaries in a free market are a reflection of the economic value they help to create. Minnesota hockey has a statewide following and more economic impact than any other college hockey program by a large measure. Gopher hockey is seen by more TV viewers and generates more advertising dollars than any other program, and it's largely Gopher fans who fund the the WCHA through their attendance at the Final Five. Whoever is the Gopher coach should be the highest paid coach because he drives the bus on college hockey's largest econmic driver. The Minnesota program is the college hockey equivalent of the Dallas Cowboys or New York Yankees - they might not win every year, but they certainly are the power brand in our sport due to the largest awareness and revenue they generate.

This is absolutely brilliant logic that explains the situation perfectly. It changed my mind. Great post!

profoster
03-01-2010, 03:12 PM
Comley made $150,000 when he started at MSU. Not sure what it is now.

http://trustees.msu.edu/decisions-news/2002-04/hockeycoach.html

Puck Swami
03-01-2010, 03:42 PM
This is absolutely brilliant logic that explains the situation perfectly. It changed my mind. Great post!

Happy to help.

I have found that almost all complex issues can be clarified once you follow the money....:cool: