WCHA Playoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WCHA Playoffs

Seriously, who starts a fight at a women's hockey game??

"For first time a hockey arena becomes the scene of violence!" Kent Brockman

Bemidji State has all of their games on WMIS-FM River 92.1 http://www.wmisfm.com/

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
      October 9: Minnesota 6, Ohio State 5
      October 10: Minnesota 6, Ohio State 1
      January 8: Minnesota 5, Ohio State 2
      January 9: Minnesota 6, Ohio State 0
      I realize that you are just trash talking with JPS, but those scores mean zero this weekend. It's a whole new season. I hope the Gophers are ready to go from the drop of the puck.
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by thebrain View Post
        Seriously, who starts a fight at a women's hockey game??

"For first time a hockey arena becomes the scene of violence!" Kent Brockman
        For what it is worth, the SCSU'r was the one who was bleeding. Not condoning the actions of presumably either, but we can only hope it is over now.
        The Sickest Hockey Goal Ever!

Comment

Originally posted by Choirboy View Post
          For what it is worth, the SCSU'r was the one who was bleeding. Not condoning the actions of presumably either, but we can only hope it is over now.
          ARM, yes, Crazy Dave wore his Gopher stuff to the game tonight!! And, no, he didn't start the fight--he and I were in the concession line when the "entertainment" broke out.

Skeeterman was in the area, but was busy talking to the Huskie players that didn't dress for the game.

Police were called and one or two Bemidji fans were possibly cited. A brother to one of the Huskies was sitting with his grandmother and some Bemidji fans evidently got upset with what he was saying. Unfortunately, I couldn't help stop this foolishness to allow the Zamboni guy to focus on the duty at hand! Hey, this is a Sunday night affair, and some of us have to work tomorrow!

And like the Husky fan, the team took one on the chops on this evening. Not much could get started up offensively, Tomikova was excellent in net, and the first-ever 3rd place finish in the WCHA (maybe with an asterisk) went by the wayside.

ARM is correct--SCSU has pretty much zero coming back offensively. Perhaps new recruits or huge turn arounds next season by freshmen/sophomores will give us Husky fans some hope. Personally, I don't see it. So the high hopes of 3rd place and home ice for the first playoff series goes down the drain.

I will be hoping the Gopher can lead the way--with assistance from UMD--to have any hope of a national title again coming from the WCHA. I don't believe Ohio State or Bemidji gives the league much of a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by The Boomer View Post
            And, no, he didn't start the fight--he and I were in the concession line when the "entertainment" broke out.
            Concession line? Hux would definitely approve.

Originally posted by The Boomer View Post
            I will be hoping the Gopher can lead the way--with assistance from UMD--to have any hope of a national title again coming from the WCHA. I don't believe Ohio State or Bemidji gives the league much of a chance.
            Given UMD and UM will make the field in any case, you may was well go ahead and cheer for OSU or Bemidji St to win next weekend and give the league 3 teams in the NCAAs. If I didn't have a horse in the race, I would. It would be good for the health of the league.
            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
              Given UMD and UM will make the field in any case, you may was well go ahead and cheer for OSU or Bemidji St to win next weekend and give the league 3 teams in the NCAAs. If I didn't have a horse in the race, I would. It would be good for the health of the league.
              As long as that team is Ohio State, I couldn't agree more. But a third WCHA team in the NCAAs would be sweet. Bemidji beat us in December in a shootout, so it's not out of the question. You have a week to convince me of the possibility of an OSU/BSU final, though. That's going to be a tough sell.

Comment

So, as an impartial observer, here are my 3 reasons St. Cloud lost tonight...

(1) The Huskies couldn't complete a pass. Several odd-man rushes failed because the pass across wasn't completed successfully.

(2) Ashley Nixon looked a bit on the shaky side as the game went on. The second BSU goal occurred when she couldn't control the initial shot. She also mishandled another shot shortly thereafter, but got some defensive help to clear that one away. (EDIT: in the interest of fairness, the first BSU goal was a bomb that ricocheted in off of the pipe, and the third was a sniping wrister.)

(3) At the other end of the ice, Zuzana Tomcikova was a wall. She took at least one shot off the mask (on a SCSU 3-on-1 odd-man rush). (And she got a couple lucky bounces too.)

I must say... that may have been the first time I saw a goaltender go from the bench back into the net on the fly.

And yes, I did wear my Gopher gear (my maroon zip-up vest and the Ski-U-Mah hat I got for my birthday back in January). And no, I wasn't involved in the skirmish (as Boomer noted -- thanks, Boomer! ).
                Last edited by CrazyDave; 02-28-2010, 11:28 PM.
                Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
                Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
                Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyDave View Post
                  So, as an impartial observer, here are my 3 reasons St. Cloud lost tonight...

(1) The Huskies couldn't complete a pass. Several odd-man rushes failed because the pass across wasn't completed successfully.

(2) Ashley Nixon looked a bit on the shaky side as the game went on. The second BSU goal occurred when she couldn't control the initial shot. She also mishandled another shot shortly thereafter, but got some defensive help to clear that one away. (EDIT: in the interest of fairness, the first BSU goal was a bomb that ricocheted in off of the pipe, and the third was a sniping wrister.)

(3) At the other end of the ice, Zuzana Tomcikova was a wall. She took at least one shot off the mask (on a SCSU 3-on-1 odd-man rush). (And she got a couple lucky bounces too.)

I must say... that may have been the first time I saw a goaltender go from the bench back into the net on the fly.

And yes, I did wear my Gopher gear (my maroon zip-up vest and the Ski-U-Mah hat I got for my birthday back in January). And no, I wasn't involved in the skirmish (as Boomer noted -- thanks, Boomer! ).
                  All of your points would seem very true considering what I heard on the radio tonight. Plainly said, in this 3 game series, BSU was the better team. Tomcikova is a wall! If she had been with BSU all year I would hazard a guess that BSU would have probably been in home ice postion or 5th at least at years end instead of being the 6th seed.

Nixon has been very solid for SCSU all year. I don't want to make excuses but I do wonder if the cut to her leg factored into her play any in this game? Maybe Boomer or CrazyDave can clear that up for me if they or anyone else saw all 3 games? I only saw the second game myself.

the bright light for the Huskies is that Nixon has shown that she can be a top tier goaltender in the WCHA for them. The negatives for SCSU are clearly the loss of a lot of there offensive fire power from this year. Next year should be an interesting year to see what SCSU looks like.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                    I realize that you are just trash talking with JPS, but those scores mean zero this weekend. It's a whole new season. I hope the Gophers are ready to go from the drop of the puck.
                    Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
                    But, of course, the possibility exists that you might a hopeless schmoe.

Results this season:

At Ridder

October 9: Minnesota 6, Ohio State 5
                    October 10: Minnesota 6, Ohio State 1

At Columbus
                    January 8: Minnesota 5, Ohio State 2
                    January 9: Minnesota 6, Ohio State 0

On the other hand, as even I myself have said, there is a reason why they play the games rather than just mailing in the scores. Nothing is certain until it is certain...
                    Yep...the Buckeyes definitely have some snipers that give any team cause for concern. The alternative...facing ZuZana, not something I'd relish either. We know how that went last trip to Bemidji. The days of being able to win even when not playing particularly well are long gone in the WCHA. Definitely seen enough examples throughout the WCHA season illustrating that anyone can beat anyone...if you don't come to play you're in trouble. The tournament opener with the Mavericks was no cakewalk. It isn't going to get easier this weekend. Those 2009-2010 outcomes vs. OSU...I hope the odds don't start to even out before next season, at the earliest.

I hope Noora is well rested and razor sharp this weekend. The Buckeyes will bring it on Saturday I have no doubt.
                    Minnesota Hockey

Comment

GO BEAVERS!
                      Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Go Bemidji Beavers,
                        Go you Green and White.
                        Go Bemidji Beavers,
                        Fight with all your might.

We are here to cheer you.
                        We are out to bring you fame.
                        So go Bemidji Beavers,
                        Fight and win this game.

Comment

I'm a Beaver, You're a Beaver
                          We are Beaver All

And when we get together
                          We do the Beaver Call!

Wait... wrong team. Well, I guess it would be fun to be a beaver, eh?

GOOD LUCK TO THE BEAVERS! Congrats on a great fight to the Finals!

Comment

"There once was a Beaver from Nantucket..." wait...never mind

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU2039 View Post
                              All of your points would seem very true considering what I heard on the radio tonight. Plainly said, in this 3 game series, BSU was the better team. Tomcikova is a wall! If she had been with BSU all year I would hazard a guess that BSU would have probably been in home ice postion or 5th at least at years end instead of being the 6th seed.

Nixon has been very solid for SCSU all year. I don't want to make excuses but I do wonder if the cut to her leg factored into her play any in this game? Maybe Boomer or CrazyDave can clear that up for me if they or anyone else saw all 3 games? I only saw the second game myself.

the bright light for the Huskies is that Nixon has shown that she can be a top tier goaltender in the WCHA for them. The negatives for SCSU are clearly the loss of a lot of there offensive fire power from this year. Next year should be an interesting year to see what SCSU looks like.
                              I was at all three games, and no, I don't believe the cut on the leg affected Nixon's goaltending. C. Dave is right--she mishandled the initial shot on the second goal, but that was the only "iffy" goal. It was also surrounded by many good, solid saves.

The passing was not good--all three games the Huskies seemed tentative and a little tight. Bemidji was looser--and got great goaltending from Tomcikova.

It was a great run for the SCSU seniors. They were a fun group to watch for the past four years. The run just ended too early for Huskie fans.

Comment

[QUOTE=ManBehindTheCurtain;4663874]But, of course, the possibility exists that you might a hopeless schmoe.

I wonder if JPS checked the dictionary before choosing his moniker.
                                Webster says:

Main Entry: schmo
                                Variant(s): or schmoe \ˈshmō\
                                Function: noun
                                Inflected Form(s): plural schmoes
                                Etymology: origin unknown
                                Date: 1947
                                slang : jerk

From the above definition, I think I will remove the phrase from my vocabulary.
                                Thank you Westy, Jen, Kelly, Alyssa, Anne, Sarah and Nicki. We'll miss you !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X