New Hampshire vs Northeastern 2/26, 27

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Hampshire vs Northeastern 2/26, 27

I can't find anything either.......I don't want to make the drive from Nashua for no reason. At this point, I am assuming there is a game.
    AKA Boguniecki 33 on the road, except at UMass Amherst, and Magness Arena, where I can't get enough of Mowers, Mowers, you s**k!

Comment

Originally posted by GoUNH View Post
      I am hoping that its safe to assume that given the hurricane force winds and massive power outages in the area, that the UNH / Northeastern game at the Whit is still on. I cant seem to find anything that would lead me to believe otherwise
      yes it is, there was a high school game this afternoon

Comment

Originally posted by GoUNH View Post
        I am hoping that its safe to assume that given the hurricane force winds and massive power outages in the area, that the UNH / Northeastern game at the Whit is still on. I cant seem to find anything that would lead me to believe otherwise
        Plenty of power at the Whitt so don't worry.
        UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

Lets got Huskies tonight. Do BC a favor and beat the Wildcats!!
          BC Eagles Hockey East Champions: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1990, 1987
          National Championships: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949
          Beanpot Champions: 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2004, 2001, 1994, 1983, 1976, 1965, 1964, 1963, 1961, 1959, 1957, 1956, 1954

Bentley Falcons Hockey

Comment

i hate hockey.

what's unh's intro song? it's quite catchy.
            Arenas Attended
            Matthews Arena
            Agganis Arena
            Tsongas Arena
            Lawler Arena
            Schneider Arena
            Mullins Center
            TD Banknorth Garden
            Conte Forum
            Whittemore Center
            Gutterson Fieldhouse
            Alfond Arena
            Compton Family Ice Arena

Comment

Originally posted by NUMcNeely View Post
              i hate hockey.

Live is Life by Opus?
              Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
              Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
              Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by NUMcNeely View Post
                i hate hockey.

When they hit the ice at the beginning of the game it's DMB's Two Step. When they come onto the ice for the 2nd and 3rd periods it's Plasmic Honey's Funeral.
                UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

Almost fell asleep watching this game, one UNH should have lost. Glad they didn't though.
                  AKA Boguniecki 33 on the road, except at UMass Amherst, and Magness Arena, where I can't get enough of Mowers, Mowers, you s**k!

Comment

Originally posted by UNHhockey29 View Post
                    When they hit the ice at the beginning of the game it's DMB's Two Step. When they come onto the ice for the 2nd and 3rd periods it's Plasmic Honey's Funeral.
                    What ever happened to them playing Black Betty when they came back after the intermission?
                    "We just didn't get the lucky bounces..."

Comment

Originally posted by Motorboaters View Post
                      What ever happened to them playing Black Betty when they came back after the intermission?
                      OH GOD

Earlier in this thread, somebody mentioned Political Correctness, regarding a "too many players" penalty.

The Black Betty-gate was spurred by a minority group at the UNH campus, unable to actually fix any real problems with the world, complaining that the song Black Betty was racially offensive. After a practical media circus, it was pulled from the speakers at the Whitt.

Two things that still frustrate me about this song and its removal from UNH:
                      1.) It was written by a black man.
                      2.) A local radio DJ, also a huge UNH hockey fan, edited this song and removed all the words. It's all about the guitar and drum beat anyway, so he figured that should be good enough. The AD at UNH vetoed that ID, which I'll never understand. That was a perfect compromise, in my opinion.

I still maintain that the song, "Crazy Train" is offensive, as I know people who are in counseling and take pills. Think they'll pull that, too?
                      I haven't been on here in a year...
                      Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Comment

Originally posted by choog View Post

I'm sorry WildShawn but I thought the officiating was miserable tonight. I'm ok with the goal being called back. I'm ok with the 2-man advantge (though the first call was questionable) but I counted a few times when icing was called against us when you could CLEARLY hear/see a man touching the puck on it's way down. The refs were also too quick to blow the whistle, I watched a bobbling puck in the UNH goal as the whistle was blown...
                        I agree completely. Were so frustrated with the lack of CONSISTENT calls in the game. Whether it favors the team you cheer for or not, you've got to expect consistent calls from the refs, so the teams know what sort of game they can play. Especially when its simple things like icing, and a covered puck, the refs have to get it right.

In another train of thought; love the upgrades to Matthews. My wife said it best, "same structure, same sightlines, same layout, better venue." If anything, the place seemed not just louder, but echo-ier than the past.

I must rant; all the money on upgrades, and you can't get your Box Office handled correctly? I bought tickets for that game 2 weeks ago at the UNH Whitt Box Office. When we got to the game, somebody was sitting in our seats -- with identical tickets. Turns out the NU box office had sold our entire row twice. Their original solution? "Well just sit somewhere else." And I said, well what if somebody shows up for those seats? "Move again." I said, well, can you find these two people, who bought their tickets at the door, two other tickets nearby? "Well why don't we find you two other seats?" Because there were 6 of us, wanted to sit together, versus two of them.

Long story short, an Arena manager brought us 12 new tickets -- for seats deep in the corner, in the last row (our seats were on the blue line, 2nd and 3rd row). Not okay by me, but at that point, the two fans who were in our seats moved elsewhere -- they were NU fans who didn't want to sit in the UNH section.

Perhaps most frustrating about the whole situation is how the 6 of us, and the two NU fans, were trying to be reasonable about this, and the response we got from the staff.. We all said, "let's get this taken care of as quickly as possible, so we don't miss puck drop." It took them nearly 20 minutes to come back, we had to shuffle around after puck drop, and were in the way of other people around us. We were respectful, calm, and understanding, while the NU staff (except for the manager) were rude and angry with us - like we had done something wrong. Later in the game, middle of play, the attendant let a large group saunter down to the front row, took their time getting into their seats, and blocked the ice view of the people in the section next to us. Somebody said, "you're supposed to make them wait for a whistle, it's an NCAA rule." I HEARD THE ARENA ATTENDANT SAY TO HIM, "BE QUIET." NU fans, I don't know how you deal with that sort of treatment at your otherwise excellent venue.
                        I haven't been on here in a year...
                        Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Comment

Originally posted by unhpuckfan2001 View Post
                          I agree completely. Were so frustrated with the lack of CONSISTENT calls in the game. Whether it favors the team you cheer for or not, you've got to expect consistent calls from the refs, so the teams know what sort of game they can play. Especially when its simple things like icing, and a covered puck, the refs have to get it right.

In another train of thought; love the upgrades to Matthews. My wife said it best, "same structure, same sightlines, same layout, better venue." If anything, the place seemed not just louder, but echo-ier than the past.

I must rant; all the money on upgrades, and you can't get your Box Office handled correctly? I bought tickets for that game 2 weeks ago at the UNH Whitt Box Office. When we got to the game, somebody was sitting in our seats -- with identical tickets. Turns out the NU box office had sold our entire row twice. Their original solution? "Well just sit somewhere else." And I said, well what if somebody shows up for those seats? "Move again." I said, well, can you find these two people, who bought their tickets at the door, two other tickets nearby? "Well why don't we find you two other seats?" Because there were 6 of us, wanted to sit together, versus two of them.

Long story short, an Arena manager brought us 12 new tickets -- for seats deep in the corner, in the last row (our seats were on the blue line, 2nd and 3rd row). Not okay by me, but at that point, the two fans who were in our seats moved elsewhere -- they were NU fans who didn't want to sit in the UNH section.

Perhaps most frustrating about the whole situation is how the 6 of us, and the two NU fans, were trying to be reasonable about this, and the response we got from the staff.. We all said, "let's get this taken care of as quickly as possible, so we don't miss puck drop." It took them nearly 20 minutes to come back, we had to shuffle around after puck drop, and were in the way of other people around us. We were respectful, calm, and understanding, while the NU staff (except for the manager) were rude and angry with us - like we had done something wrong. Later in the game, middle of play, the attendant let a large group saunter down to the front row, took their time getting into their seats, and blocked the ice view of the people in the section next to us. Somebody said, "you're supposed to make them wait for a whistle, it's an NCAA rule." I HEARD THE ARENA ATTENDANT SAY TO HIM, "BE QUIET." NU fans, I don't know how you deal with that sort of treatment at your otherwise excellent venue.
                          Two points. If you think the sight lines are great at Matthews, try sitting in all but the first row of the balcony. Can't see anything. Makes me wonder why they spent money on new seats upstairs. They're worthless. Second, I've been going to games at Boston/Matthews Arena for 30+ years. I have NEVER sat in my assigned seat, NEVER. And I don't think anybody else does. Buy a ticket for any seat, sit at center ice, that was always my assumption, and it appeared to be the assumption of the non-existent ushers. Now they have gone and taken our center ice seats and made it the press box. Probably because the scribes couldn't see from the balcony.

I love Matthews, it's the oldest rink in the country. I remember when the place was an absolute dump in the 60's and 70's. I remember when they had all those cheesy murals of wrestling, boxing and the like. I remember when the ice surface was as big as my living room, when you would fire the puck into the corner and have it bounce right out in front of the goal. When BU played there, it was a huge advantage for them. Northeastern has done as much as they can with the place, they should be proud. Two quirky things left, no assigned seats, lousy view from the balcony. I say leave them alone, for old times sake!

Comment

Originally posted by Motorboaters View Post
                            It was deemed theoretically racist (but apparently only at hockey games, any other UNH sport it's ok).
                            It wasn't a minority group that complained. It was who ever was the coach of the US women's team a few years ago.
                            UNH

Comment

A couple thoughts on the weekend:

The cats were outplayed both nights, and lucky to steal points from the huskies. The cats didn't start to pressure and play their game until 5 minutes left in the third friday night. They had what seemed like 10-15 scoring chances with 3 minutes left. Same thing for Saturday, they were outplayed for 40 minutes, even for 15, then won the last 5.

It was my first trip to Matthews, and I thought the atmosphere was great, a sparse student crowd, but that is understandable considering reading that the spring break had just begun. The whitt becomes desolate for hockey east playoffs as well.

A couple questions

What is the deal with the pots and pans? It seemed like everyone had something of that nature to provide Matthews with a little extra sound punch.

Whats with the shirtless OT by the guy? One of the stranger yet most amusing things I've seen as a hockey fan.

Comment

Originally posted by MagicCat View Post
                                A couple thoughts on the weekend:

The cats were outplayed both nights, and lucky to steal points from the huskies. The cats didn't start to pressure and play their game until 5 minutes left in the third friday night. They had what seemed like 10-15 scoring chances with 3 minutes left. Same thing for Saturday, they were outplayed for 40 minutes, even for 15, then won the last 5.

It was my first trip to Matthews, and I thought the atmosphere was great, a sparse student crowd, but that is understandable considering reading that the spring break had just begun. The whitt becomes desolate for hockey east playoffs as well.

A couple questions

What is the deal with the pots and pans? It seemed like everyone had something of that nature to provide Matthews with a little extra sound punch.

Whats with the shirtless OT by the guy? One of the stranger yet most amusing things I've seen as a hockey fan.
                                Northeastern's DogHouse made the Friday game "pots and pans night".

We started "No T OT" this year. I'm thinking we should abandon it, we're 0-2-1 when we do it.

Comment

Working...
                                X