PDA

View Full Version : Your Newest NCAA Division I Hockey Program?

Pages : [1] 2

PioneeerHockeyDU19
02-19-2010, 01:20 AM
http://www.lindenwoodlions.com/news/2010/2/12/GEN_0212102104.aspx

ACHA Division I Lindenwood University may be on the move.

Puck Swami
02-19-2010, 01:24 AM
...to NCAA Division II, not NCAA Division I.

PioneeerHockeyDU19
02-19-2010, 01:33 AM
Could you have a Division I hockey program at a NCAA Division I school?

mcfarljd
02-19-2010, 01:48 AM

Ummmm...

Yes?

huskiesfan1990
02-19-2010, 02:03 AM

No, I don't think that is possible. Such a thing has never happened before.

burgie12
02-19-2010, 02:20 AM
Assuming the typo is...

Could you have a Division II hockey program at a NCAA Division I school?

Yes. Multiple D-II schools are playing in the D-I hockey league right now.

LynahFan
02-19-2010, 02:50 AM
Assuming the typo is...

Could you have a Division II hockey program at a NCAA Division I school?

Yes. Multiple D-II schools are playing in the D-I hockey league right now.

Ha ha. Typo fix fail.

beaverhockeyfan
02-19-2010, 09:13 AM
Lindenwood was one of the schools that the CHA was courting as a new member a few years back (right around the time the NCAAs were in St. Louis). At that time, the NCAA kind of put the kabosh on an NAIA school playing NCAA hockey. So that fell through as did the courting of Kennesaw State outside of Atlanta (due to money).

burgie12
02-19-2010, 04:01 PM
Ha ha. Typo fix fail.
That's what I get for trying to decipher a meaningless post at 2AM after only 3 hours of sleep.

FireKnight
02-19-2010, 04:13 PM
It looks like they are currently an ACHA hockey program. I can't imagine they'd be looking to jump to NCAA right away.

quiddlet
02-19-2010, 04:21 PM
Thanks for putting the ? on the end of this thread title... kept me from getting too excited

STATEdude3
02-19-2010, 04:59 PM
Maybe it is because I am a big-school product,or the fact that I live in a big city...either way I think college hockey's future growth is dependent on bringing in a couple schools with name recognition.

Illinois and Penn State are the first two names that come to mind. Out east Syracuse and Navy are the first names that pop into my head. as much as I respect what some of the small programs have accomplished, it just doesn't seem that they have the ability to help generate interest in a niche sport at the same rate as the larger schools are capable of doing. I'm not taking a shot at the smaller D1 programs already out there, but potential new ones.

Beer Pong Horn
02-19-2010, 08:09 PM
Bye Week University. :cool:

omahasioux1
02-19-2010, 09:02 PM
Bye Week University. :cool:They suck.;)

Beer Pong Horn
02-19-2010, 10:25 PM
They suck.;)

What do you expect? They have the highest SOS in the country! ;)

Mark Laliberte
02-19-2010, 11:07 PM
Lindenwood University sounds like a fictitious college from a 1980s movie. :D

Twisted Wrister
02-20-2010, 04:05 PM
Lindenwood University sounds like a fictitious college from a 1980s movie. :D

Lindenwood is a club power house. CCHA has an opening

Patman
02-20-2010, 04:15 PM
Maybe it is because I am a big-school product,or the fact that I live in a big city...either way I think college hockey's future growth is dependent on bringing in a couple schools with name recognition.

Illinois and Penn State are the first two names that come to mind. Out east Syracuse and Navy are the first names that pop into my head. as much as I respect what some of the small programs have accomplished, it just doesn't seem that they have the ability to help generate interest in a niche sport at the same rate as the larger schools are capable of doing. I'm not taking a shot at the smaller D1 programs already out there, but potential new ones.

define future growth... i bet you define it as "whatever gets Michigan State more attention"... Lindenwood, IIRC, is in St. Louis... this would be a positive... period.

kdiff77
02-20-2010, 04:24 PM

Just curious- why Illinois?

I've always been surprised that Syracuse never got even a D-III team together. They have a decent club team, and their women just went D-I, so perhaps we can expect to see a team in the next 10 years or so.

I would also expect that eventually, someone from NYC or Philly will get a team. And maybe Pittsburgh. I could see Fordham, Villanova, UPitt, or Duquesne springing for a program once the economy improves. I'm very surprised that there currently are no teams from these cities, especially Philly and NYC. Chicago is also a surprisingly vacant city.

dubbie31
02-20-2010, 04:30 PM
Just curious- why Illinois?

I've always been surprised that Syracuse never got even a D-III team together. They have a decent club team, and their women just went D-I, so perhaps we can expect to see a team in the next 10 years or so.

I would also expect that eventually, someone from NYC or Philly will get a team. And maybe Pittsburgh. I could see Fordham, Villanova, UPitt, or Duquesne springing for a program once the economy improves. I'm very surprised that there currently are no teams from these cities, especially Philly and NYC. Chicago is also a surprisingly vacant city.

Why not Illinois? It is a good midwestern market. Strong sports tradition. They support their teams very well and travel well.

Facilities can be constructed or they could convert Assembly Hall into a Basketball/Hockey facility. I'd love to hear Oskeewowwow at a hockey game!