Declining a National Tournament Bid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Declining a National Tournament Bid

Just this afternoon the ACHA released its final rankings and National Tournament Bids. The big news being that the CHMA Champion and Auto Bid recipient had declined to participate in the National Tournament.

What would the reaction be within NCAA DIII if a team such as Curry declined an invitation to play in the national tournament knowing their chances of winning would be slim?

Facts:

20-4-1 Record
    CHMA 3rd of 6 leagues in overall strength
    Only 1 League earned multiple bids (also mutiple Independant teams)
    Slippery Rock ranked 25th in Nation
    Kent State ranked 12th will recieve their bid
    Kent State has beaten 4? of the Top 5 ranked teams.

Re: Declining a National Tournament Bid

Originally posted by MN Cyclone View Post
    Just this afternoon the ACHA released its final rankings and National Tournament Bids. The big news being that the CHMA Champion and Auto Bid recipient had declined to participate in the National Tournament.

What would the reaction be within NCAA DIII if a team such as Curry declined an invitation to play in the national tournament knowing their chances of winning would be slim?

Facts:

20-4-1 Record
    It's possible they could have run out of money (depending on how club teams are supported), or the team had an isssue/incident that caused the pullout.

Doubtful any DIII team would pull out unless a season ending incident happened.
    Go 'Wick!

Comment

Originally posted by jerrynu26 View Post
      Doubtful any DIII team would pull out unless a season ending incident happened.
      I'd agree. It would take some sort of a disaster or a serious disciplinary issue to cause a school to decline a bid.
      FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by MN Cyclone View Post

Facts:

20-4-1 Record
        I don't have time to look it up now, but I was under the impression that there was NCAA legislation penalizing a team with sanctions if they were to decline a bid.
        Plattsburgh CARDINALS
        SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
        ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
        NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
        NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
        NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
        NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
          I don't have time to look it up now, but I was under the impression that there was NCAA legislation penalizing a team with sanctions if they were to decline a bid.
          I believe you are right. And considering the NCAA pays all playoff expenses, money would not be an issue.

The only valid reason would be if the school or conference (like the old NESCAC days) has a policy of no postseason play. In which case, they would never get an invite in the first place.
          Russell Jaslow
          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
            That started back in the 50s when the NIT was a competitor to the NCAA basketball tournament. One year Seattle University (now moving back to DI after going down to DIII) accepted a bid to the NIT and declined a bid to the NCAAs because the entire NIT was played at MSG, and that's where they wanted to go. Shortly after that the NCAA made sure that never would happen again. It is the same strategy that the NCAA used to drive the AAIW out of business when they started sanctioning women's sports.
            2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
            2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
            2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
            2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

I remember back in 1988, when the SUNYAC teams and ECAC-West were still combined, Brockport was offered the 8th seed in the ECAC-West Tournament, but declined it. I'm not sure of the reason, and it wasn't Nationals, but that's the only time I remember a playoff bid being declined.

Comment

Originally posted by DH003325 View Post
                I remember back in 1988, when the SUNYAC teams and ECAC-West were still combined, Brockport was offered the 8th seed in the ECAC-West Tournament, but declined it. I'm not sure of the reason, and it wasn't Nationals, but that's the only time I remember a playoff bid being declined.
                Back when the NESCAC and ECAC East were combined, the NESCAC had a rule that allowed a team to play in only one post season tournament (before that rule, they couldn't play the NCAAs at all), so NESCAC contenders for NCAA consideration would decline to play in the ECAC East Playoffs - Middlebury would decline, and some other teams like Bowdoin or Williams would decline. I remember on year Williams declined to play in the ECACs and didn't get an NCAA bid.
                2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                  Back when the NESCAC and ECAC East were combined, the NESCAC had a rule that allowed a team to play in only one post season tournament (before that rule, they couldn't play the NCAAs at all), so NESCAC contenders for NCAA consideration would decline to play in the ECAC East Playoffs - Middlebury would decline, and some other teams like Bowdoin or Williams would decline. I remember on year Williams declined to play in the ECACs and didn't get an NCAA bid.
                  I remember that well. Technically, though, they didn't decline a playoff bid, they just held out for a better one which didn't come. The Brockport situation is the only one I remember where a team completely declined a bid completely.
                  Theoretically, though their chances were slim, they could've won the West and received an NCAA bid.
                  I'm glad the NESCAC got rid of those restrictions. I hope they never re-instate them. There were some great teams from Bowdoin, Middlebury, and others back in the day, but we never got to see how good they were nationally because of those restrictions.

Comment

Originally posted by DH003325 View Post
                    I'm glad the NESCAC got rid of those restrictions. I hope they never re-instate them. There were some great teams from Bowdoin, Middlebury, and others back in the day, but we never got to see how good they were nationally because of those restrictions.
                    That goes for a lot of sports. Hamilton used to have some great basketball teams in the 80s, but the only postseason action they saw was the ECAC tournament, which is like the NIT of D3 basketball.
                    Russell Jaslow
                    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Lets hope they don't go the way NESCAC football did.
                      Go 'Wick!

Comment

Working...
                      X